Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion would be that the population may have dropped somewhat but the majority simply found nice cozy holes in your rockwork. Go ahead and keep feeding 'em. You're most likely to be able to find them at night with a red or blue flashlight. You don't really have anything that would hunt them with anything approaching dedication.

AS

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have doubts about there being pods then next time you get a bottle put half in the tank and then culture the other half.

These are very easy to culture with very modest equipment - 1-3 gallon jars/containers/buckets, a air pump, air line, adjustable valve and you’re good to go. All you need then is to decide what to feed them - phyto (cleanest but most effort/cost), spirulina powder (cheap and easy) or banana peel (easy but dirty water). There’s a bunch of guides on here about different ways.

Then get a net (soy strainer works for me) and after about 10days you can regularly harvest them.

I dump a bunch into the tank almost every day, sometimes twice or more depending how many I have on hand. Never see them in the water after more than an hour or so, but never see any algae either, so assume they’re eating it.

World Wide Corals

Eienna

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have doubts about there being pods then next time you get a bottle put half in the tank and then culture the other half.

These are very easy to culture with very modest equipment - 1-3 gallon jars/containers/buckets, a air pump, air line, adjustable valve and you’re good to go. All you need then is to decide what to feed them - phyto, spirulina powder (cheap and easy) or banana peel (easy but dirty water). There’s a bunch of guides on here about different ways.

Then get a net (soy strainer works for me) and after about 10days you can regularly harvest them.

I dump a bunch into the tank almost every day, sometimes twice or more depending how many I have on hand. Never see them in the water after more than an hour or so, but never see any algae either, so assume they’re eating it.
You can culture them with banana peels? That's some interesting news to me.

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can culture them with banana peels? That's some interesting news to me.
There’s a few guides on here that suggest that as a lazy and easy method - I’ve not tried this myself, tempted to set up a culture in a spare container and just see how they do.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few guides on here that suggest that as a lazy and easy method - I’ve not tried this myself, tempted to set up a culture in a spare container and just see how they do.
Miiiight want to try that one outdoors. Unless you're a bachelor with zero sense of smell.

Nutramar Foods

USCfan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phyto do you think is being lost to my skimmer?
I have never noticed a difference with my skimmer and my whole system is processed through my skimmer as is fed through my overflow. I feed a lot of phytoplankton to my system also. I make it by the gallons. I feed the phytoplankton directly into my refugium. It has to go through this display system to get into my skimmer.

Blake509

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns. 3 chromis. 1 Firefish. 1 Banggai Cardinal. And a partridge in a pear tree
Pods know when there is a predator in the tank they are there just in the rock and sand hiding. If they were out in the open they are dinner. Look closely at rock at night for any movement with the addition of that many and nothing to cause major die off they are in there. My cardinals, chromis, and clowns would go nuts when I'd add them something about the live food they went nuts for.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back