Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some trouble keeping copepods in my tank. Tank is a little over 5 months old 48gal. Parameters are pretty stable where I want them to be. Fighting off a bit of a cryophytes bloom. Nitrates were low for a bit but since started dosing Neonitro. Have seeded with 4 jars of Ecopods on three different occasions. All times at night. Some in the sump. Some in the tank. Tried using a turkey baster to seed them directly into the rocks and sand. Have only ever seen pods in the sump for about maybe 2 weeks after seeding. Nothing ever in the display. Now I can't see any. Spent over $300 on pods. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep these guys alive? Or possibly a species that's a bit more hardy?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefing.with.Rich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Having some trouble keeping copepods in my tank. Tank is a little over 5 months old 48gal. Parameters are pretty stable where I want them to be. Fighting off a bit of a cryophytes bloom. Nitrates were low for a bit but since started dosing Neonitro. Have seeded with 4 jars of Ecopods on three different occasions. All times at night. Some in the sump. Some in the tank. Tried using a turkey baster to seed them directly into the rocks and sand. Have only ever seen pods in the sump for about maybe 2 weeks after seeding. Nothing ever in the display. Now I can't see any. Spent over $300 on pods. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep these guys alive? Or possibly a species that's a bit more hardy?
Did you seed your tank with all flow off for a good while?
Do you run filter socks?
Did you feed them daily?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you seed your tank with all flow off for a good while?
Do you run filter socks?
Did you feed them daily?
3hrs. No filter socks, powerheads, or skimmer. Was dosing live phyto up until about 3 weeks ago after I'd given up on them being alive

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you say you have none? They are the size of a pinpoint. Not sure what you expect, but no doubt they are in your tank.

feed phyto to the tank to help them multiply.
I should be seeing SOMETHING. Ya they're small but not completely undetectable. For what I've put in there I should be seeing at least a few on the glass.

Reefing.with.Rich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
3hrs. No filter socks, powerheads, or skimmer. Was dosing live phyto up until about 3 weeks ago after I'd given up on them being alive
If you did all that I can assure there are pods in your tank
What fish do you have?

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be seeing SOMETHING. Ya they're small but not completely undetectable. For what I've put in there I should be seeing at least a few on the glass.
Not necessarily...

AS

Eienna

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Tisbe biminiensis is the one widely sold that's tropical. Pod cultures will occasionally crash, especially if they're not finding enough food. Are you dosing phytoplankton for them?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Tisbe biminiensis is the one widely sold that's tropical. Pod cultures will occasionally crash, especially if they're not finding enough food. Are you dosing phytoplankton for them? What fish do you have?
All that info is posted already

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reefing.with.Rich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Clean up crew/bio diversity
If you don’t have anything in there to eat them I can guarantee there are pods in there. Seeing them in the bottle when you buy them isn’t quite the same as trying to see them in your tank. Especially if you have a good hunk of rock in there

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the lights are off on the tank use your phone’s flashlight to light up the side of the tank while looking at the front glass up close.

You’ll see thousands of tiny spots. Keep staring long enough and you’ll see a couple of them move. Takes a bit to train the eye to see pods.

I rarely look/see pods, but I can see my mandarin, leopards and pipefish picking at the rock and substrate all day long.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back