Transient Nutrients with GHA

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing to pull my rock and scrub off lots of GHA growth every week. Nitrate testing at 0 and Phosphate at 0.07. Fairly certain that the GHA is taking up Nitrate before it can be registered with my Hanna checker.

Do I dose Nitrate to get a reading? Would that not cause the GHA to just explode in growth even more than it already is? If Nitrate is in the system since the GHA is using it, doesn't that mean the corals are still exposed to some level of Nitrate as well?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have and how much do you feed? Dissolved organics feeds the algae before it is broken down into nitrate. How is the flow - algae loves low flow. What type of filtration do you run?

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have and how much do you feed? Dissolved organics feeds the algae before it is broken down into nitrate. How is the flow - algae loves low flow. What type of filtration do you run?
Reefer 250 (54G display). Tomini, Melanarus, Clownfish, Filefish, Hawkfish. Feed TDO chroma boost 3 times per day. Just running a ReefMat, skimmer is offline. I run two reef wave at 40% power each as it's an LPS tank so medium flow.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing how you feed or how much you feed, I will just suggest to be careful with the feeding. Pellets IMO tend to sink fast, uneaten pellets will increase the doc's in the water, which are consumed by the algae. With your skimmer off, and no activated carbon, the only other way to remove doc's is with water changes. So being careful with how you feed, and increasing or maintaining regular water changes would be my suggestions.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back