Transfer Existing Livestock to New System

Goose92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I am in the process of getting my new system going. Trying to figure out how I should go about transferring some of my Fish/Corals.

New System is a RedSea 625 G2 132G Display. Going from a SC Aquariums 50G Display. (My first Tank)

I put all new Caribsea Live Sand and Caribsea Dry Live Rock in the the new 625.

Alot of the info I see on here is to transfer the Rock from one to the other and there are some smaller Rocks I can take from that 50G system and put it down in the Sump.
I will be moving the 50G to a different location and wanting to keep most of the Rock and all the Sand in there. I feel like what I would pull from the 50G wouldn't do much? A Donut and Smaller Arche (Caribsea)

New system has only been running about 1 week with Fritz Turbostart 900 and 2 clowns and some snails/hermit crabs.
Old system has been going for just over 2 years.

I want to say I just need to be patient and maybe move some of the Fish in a week or 2 and leave the Corals in that 50G system and wait a few months for the new tank to settle and then transfer those?
What would be the time to wait a new tank to add corals? I waited over a year and a half in my first tank just due to me not feeling ready for Corals at the time. But now I have the Coral bug and need more. Hence getting the bigger tank. Haha. Also wanted to open up the possibility of additional Fish I could add.

Appreciate any input. Thank you.
Pics for attention.

20240901_111706.jpg 20240905_203449.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would just switch it over. Your current rock will keep your current livestock alive in the larger tank with no issue's. Your way is fine, you can wait as long as you want, but there's really no need to wait.

you can go ahead an add new corals anytime. I would wait a few weeks to add more fish, let the new rocks cycle first, which will be fast and easy with your existing live rock added to the tank.

Wet mature live rock is the ultimate way to cycle a tank, way better than with bottled bacteria and fish-in cycle

Last edited:

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take as much rock out of the old tank as I could and put it in the new one. That way I could transfer all the fish at once. It doesn't really matter how it looks at that point, just rearrange things after the old tank is it it's new home. Maybe mix some sand from the old tank into the new as well.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back