+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there reefers!

I’m intrigued if this is mainly a UK thing but, do you guys ever trade with reefers?
Whether it’s a coral frag or maybe even a fish/invert.

Have you ever traded something for another thing you may not have?

I’ll go first… I haven’t traded yet however I have a couple trades in the planning. Specifically I have a plan to trade a bouncing Ricordea yuma frag and a nice sized piece of Astreopora. I don’t actually mind what the other person gives me in return (She’s helped me a lot previously and honestly my Regal Angel was bought thanks to her). I know a few people who have traded corals as well as some fish and inverts and they’ve all gone to lovely homes.
So let’s hear your stories or plans!
AC2B669F-D386-488A-A2CF-812D4AED9309.jpeg

Astreopora coral growing out to be halved and traded.

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why frag swaps has "swaps" in it. Originally it was a group of reefers getting together and swapping corals and buying if they wanted something but didn't have anything to trade. That quickly just became a show where there are just dealers and buyers. The dealers will swap among themselves at the shows.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why frag swaps has "swaps" in it. Originally it was a group of reefers getting together and swapping corals and buying if they wanted something but didn't have anything to trade. That quickly just became a show where there are just dealers and buyers. The dealers will swap among themselves at the shows.
Honestly, over here we don’t have many big reefing events. And it’s rare if there’s a swap involved in it.
Any swapping done over here is mainly done at LFSs and it’s uncommon to find a swap between an LFS owner and a hobbyist. It’s more between hobbyists.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to lol. I have a friend who’s giving me some corals but I also want to give him something as well. I find trading very useful and much more wallet friendly and also the corals seem to adapt better to ‘your’ specific water

Nutramar Foods

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swap with friends, family and my LFS. Zoa and shrooms of any type go crazy in my tank so I often gift to my people
Then you need to get a hold of a purple monster shroom and get rich. One sold at Aquashella yesterday and I think it was around $2k.

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, over here we don’t have many big reefing events. And it’s rare if there’s a swap involved in it.
Any swapping done over here is mainly done at LFSs and it’s uncommon to find a swap between an LFS owner and a hobbyist. It’s more between hobbyists.
I expect it to slow down in my area. We had 8 frag swaps in my metro area last year and other than Aquashella, they all were poorly attended. I think with the lack of swaps during the covid time frame they just went a little nuts last year. I went to one back in March, which was the second one this year so far, and I don't know that 50 people showed up the entire day. The vendors were just going from booth to booth talking among themselves. I also think the local "garage" sellers have over saturated my area. There is at least 1 doing an auction daily on facebook. They also seem to sell a lot.

I actually attended Aquashella yesterday. I would guess between yesterday and today that attendance was well over 5,000. Of course it also has freshwater and reptiles so is more mass appealing than the normal frag swap. I would say 60 to 70% of the people there are freshwater people. Actually I think there are many people that attend that don't even have a tank.

kzenoni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you need to get a hold of a purple monster shroom and get rich. One sold at Aquashella yesterday and I think it was around $2k.
Make you a deal, you get me one and I will split profits with you lol here is a momma with three babies
IMG_0385.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently swapped my skunk cleaner for a toadstool. Weird swap, but I was having trouble feeding the cleaner and wanted it in a happier place, and it is currently rehomed in a tank with another cleaner and they are best buddies. And I got my first toadstool:
PXL_20230518_005824235.MP.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weird guy came down to Georgia and offered me a dragon soul for my soul. Seemed a good deal.
He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun………

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weird guy came down to Georgia and offered me a dragon soul for my soul. Seemed a good deal.
And Slocke sang, "Fire in the reef tank, frag boy, frag. Devil's got your torch in an airtight bag. Wrasses in the rockwork pickin' out pods. Granny do the clowns bite? Now that's high odds".

Sorry, couldn't resist. My boys and I like to make up wrong words to songs. Can't wait for them to wake up now.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He played "Fire on the Mountain" run boys, run
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun………
And Slocke sang, "Fire in the reef tank, frag boy, frag. Devil's got your torch in an airtight bag. Wrasses in the rockwork pickin' out pods. Granny do the clowns bite? Now that's high odds".

Sorry, couldn't resist. My boys and I like to make up wrong words to songs. Can't wait for them to wake up now.
I see you got the reference :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
And @JoJosReef Weird Al’s got competition!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make you a deal, you get me one and I will split profits with you lol here is a momma with three babies View attachment 3164186
Yumas spread in my tank like wildfire. Out of curiosity what light and flow level do you have that momma under?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 110 par ( radions) and medium/ low flow
I have mine in higher par (I believe they’re Radions G4) and high flow and it bubbles like crazy.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back