Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 month old tank with 2 Clowns and a Goby Shrimp Pair.
I added a Torchy Coral last week. It started to close in more and more everyday. Is this normal?

Fiji 32gal AIO
AI Blade Coral Grow (SAXBY Settings with 50% intensity)
Salt Mix - Red Sea Coral Pro
Salinity 1.024 (Hanna)
Temp 78deg

5/16
Alkalinity 8.6 (Hanna)
Phosphate 0.09 (Hanna)
Nitrate 5ppm (Sailfert)

5/22
Alkalinity 8.7
Phosphate 0.12
Nitrate 5ppm

I don't have Cal or Mag tester.

20230522_184735.jpg

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

arnavfactoryfishtanks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

From the information you've provided, it seems like you're doing a great job with your tank parameters. However, there could be a few reasons why your Torchy Coral is closing up.

Firstly, corals can take some time to acclimate to new environments, and it's not uncommon for them to close up during this period. However, if it's been over a week and your coral is still closing up, there might be other factors at play.

One of the main factors could be the lighting. Torchy Corals, also known as Euphyllia glabrescens, require moderate to high lighting for best growth and coloration. Too much light can cause them to bleach, while too little can hinder their growth. According to a guide on Shrimp and Snail Breeder, the output from LED lighting around 75 – 150 PAR value, is sufficient for the lighting needs of the corals. It might be worth checking if your lighting falls within this range.

Water flow is another important factor. The water movement in your tank should be moderate, not too weak or too strong. Strong water flow can be too harsh and may damage the corals or make the polyps unable to extend fully.

Lastly, it's worth noting that Torchy Corals are aggressive and should not be kept too close to other corals (it seems you already know this). Their stings can be lethal to some of them. Make sure that they are placed at least 15 – 20 cm (6 – 8 inches) from any other corals.

As for the Red Sea DipX, it's generally a good idea to dip corals before introducing them to your tank to prevent the spread of pests. However, it's also possible that the dip could have stressed the coral, especially if it was not done properly or if the coral was left in the dip for too long.

Finally, I would recommend getting a Calcium and Magnesium tester. These elements are crucial for coral health and growth, and it's important to ensure they are at the right levels in your tank.

Here are a few questions that might help narrow down the cause of your coral's behavior:

1. How did you acclimate the coral to your tank? Did you gradually adjust it to your tank's lighting and water chemistry, or did you add it directly to the tank?
2. How is the flow in your tank? Torchy Corals prefer moderate to high flow.
3. Where in the tank did you place the coral? Is it possible that it's getting too much or too little light?
4. Have you noticed any pests or signs of disease on the coral?
5. Have you made any other changes to the tank recently that could be causing stress to the coral?

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Vivid
Back