Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I thought that one in a thousand times, a collection cut might have concentrated something that could be lethal, I would still advise it and do it myself when somebody bottoms out nutrients and needs to add some back in a pinch.

I'm unsure why it has to be pushed into anything other than a conversation.

Because, in my own firsthand experience, an otherwise healthy tank suddenly experienced a die off that cannot equate to a simple loss of a sick or injured fish. I literally lost half of the fish in this system within a week. NO changes were made, NO fish added, No change in feeding schedule or ammount. NOTHING. The ONLY thing was the overflow of the skimmer. And to add to that, once I cleaned the skimmer, not only have I not lost another fish, but the ones who looked sick are better and the new fish I added since are happy and healthy.

Understand this.. This is a 180G system with a 50g sump. No corals and healthy predatory fish. These fish are the least demanding of high water quality around. Clown trigger, flame angel, powder brown tang, domino damsels and 3 stripe damsels.

Nutramar Foods

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because, in my own firsthand experience, an otherwise healthy tank suddenly experienced a die off that cannot equate to a simple loss of a sick or injured fish. I literally lost half of the fish in this system within a week. NO changes were made, NO fish added, No change in feeding schedule or ammount. NOTHING. The ONLY thing was the overflow of the skimmer. And to add to that, once I cleaned the skimmer, not only have I not lost another fish, but the ones who looked sick are better and the new fish I added since are happy and healthy.

Understand this.. This is a 180G system with a 50g sump. No corals and healthy predatory fish. These fish are the least demanding of high water quality around. Clown trigger, flame angel, powder brown tang, domino damsels and 3 stripe damsels.
I know this is personal to you. I just think there's something else to it.

You are staunchly saying NOT TO, Because it is lethal. I'm interested in others experiences besides our own because our own are at polar opposites.

I posted a poll to give us both more information to consider. I hope you go vote in it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the massive water volume here, also works against the thesis of skimmate being lethal.

There has to be something else.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think the massive water volume here, also works against the thesis of skimmate being lethal.

There has to be something eladded
@Lost in the Sauce may be on to something.....

At any point were you or did you dose any type of medication for the fish?

Sometimes skimmers overflow when medication is added.

In which case depending on which medication was added could possibly cause some die off.....

Poseidon03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmate back into tank is controversial due to the skimmer also roving toxins from the water. Maybe there was a boxfish/seaslug/something else toxic that caused the change. Skimmate would also have ammonia, which is highly toxic. It matters on how your system can handle that. I personally would not do it on purpose.

Back to the torches though. How long have you had them?

Who me?

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everything in the skimmer cup was recently in your water column in diluted form. Adding the concentrated form from the cup back into the water volume is not lethal, it is again diluted by the water.

Unless you're parameters are borderline lethal to begin with ( highly doubtful without many ill effects), adding skimmate back will only return a portion of what was removed.

AS
OP
OP

924er

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@924er

How they looking today?

Im getting slightly better poly extension! I dosed some nitrate and its 10ppm now, also did a 20% waterchange to replenish some trace elements. BUT.. I rechecked phosphates and now its 0.24 so im confused. it was 0 last week. I guess I over did it with reef roids. Now im lowering phosphates with GFO but ill test tomorrow again. I know im doing a little too much

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting slightly better poly extension! I dosed some nitrate and its 10ppm now, also did a 20% waterchange to replenish some trace elements. BUT.. I rechecked phosphates and now its 0.24 so im confused. it was 0 last week. I guess I over did it with reef roids. Now im lowering phosphates with GFO but ill test tomorrow again. I know im doing a little too much
I wouldn't use GFO. It's going to bring it down to fast and big swings mess up corals. Use phosguard to walk the phosphate down slowly. .24 is elevated but not to high to hurt anything.

CLICK TO VIEW

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it yourself.. EVERYTHING in your collection cup is concentrated. In my own experience, even the drippage from the overfull cup proved lethal to my tank.

Here is a tank that had previously been running flawlessly for over 8 months. All of the sudden I lost half the fish that were in the system. Nothing new added, no changes to feeding ect ect.. the ONY difference, the skimmer cup overflowed with skimmate.

Cleaned out the cup and boom.. back to normal.. coincidence? Possibly, but I doubt it.
@Lost in the Sauce method does work ive done it @fishguy242 suggested it [HASH=62965]#Cronies[/HASH]

i do think its large swings , overflowing suggests adding way way to much mr jedi

Who me?

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use GFO. It's going to bring it down to fast and big swings mess up corals. Use phosguard to walk the phosphate down slowly. .24 is elevated but not to high to hurt anything.
I wouldn't use anything. Phosphates are artificially elevated right now due to the reefroids, do 10% water change and be done.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use anything. Phosphates are artificially elevated right now due to the reefroids, do 10% water change and be done.
I agree however water changes do not remove phosphate like it does nitrates. So they may sit at .24 for awhile with no counter balance. Not that it will hurt anything either.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Who me?

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree however water changes do not remove phosphate like it does nitrates. So they may sit at .24 for awhile with no counter balance. Not that it will hurt anything either.
Normally agree, but in this case I think the water change will drastically reduce the phosphates, since the phosphates are result of the reefroids and are most likely just in the water column... change out water now before phosphates have a chance to be absorbed by the rock and should be good to go.

FishOkay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it yourself.. EVERYTHING in your collection cup is concentrated. In my own experience, even the drippage from the overfull cup proved lethal to my tank.

Here is a tank that had previously been running flawlessly for over 8 months. All of the sudden I lost half the fish that were in the system. Nothing new added, no changes to feeding ect ect.. the ONY difference, the skimmer cup overflowed with skimmate.

Cleaned out the cup and boom.. back to normal.. coincidence? Possibly, but I doubt it.
I would also have to disagree with this, it doesn't really make any sense. Skimmers overflow all the time I'm sure most reefers in their time will experience or have experienced a skimmer overflow and suffered no ill effects.
But saying that I also don't think deliberately dumping dirty skimmate in to the tank is the way to go lol Especially when there are much better ways

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO doesn't have to strip quickly. If you go at it full dose, full flow,YUP, but you can decide how quickly you want to strip based on how much flow you're running through it, and how much or little media you're using.

As you said, yes, slower is better. I haven't found either phosgard or rowaphos be particularly effective.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO doesn't have to strip quickly. If you go at it full dose, full flow,YUP, but you can decide how quickly you want to strip based on how much flow you're running through it, and how much or little media you're using.

As you said, yes, flower is better. I haven't found either phosgard or rowaphos be particularly effective.
True but most just read the directions and put a full amount or even more then wonder why it bottomed out. Phosguard works slowly as I'm sure you discovered and depending on how quickly you develop phosphate may not be the best method. The OP had no phosphate but spiked it with reef roids so he should walk it down slow and not bottom out. Your method can work if precisely measured and monitor too.

OP
OP

924er

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you said, yes, slower is better. I haven't found either phosgard or rowaphos be particularly effective.

I am using phosgaurd but 1/2 dose. I have used it in the past and its worked well. The directions say to retest after 4 days if not within desired levels.

Good news is that all my torches are now slightly open except for two. So its getting better overall but My dragon soul looks ticked off. I dipped it in iodine and placed it back in the tank. I usually dont like dipping stressed corals but it looked rough and i didnt want to risk losing such as expensive coral.

OP
OP

924er

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update, my phospate is now 0.06. It went down from 0.24 about two days ago with phosguard. Its quite a steep change i know.

As far as my torches, all of them have perked back up except for my most fav and expensive one, dragon soul. its receded pretty good into the skeleton. there is no brown jelly and it doesnt have an odor. Fingers crossed it will make a full recovery

CLICK TO VIEW
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back