Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a torch with a golden hammer and the hammer is doing great and my torch was to, after a few weeks it just closed up for no reason
my params are :
Cal: 470
Alk: 8.8
Mg: 1350
NO-3: ~8

im in the process of setting up a refugium, i have a lot of hair algae and im pretty sure dinos. im running a skimmer on the tank to and im dosing mag to try and get it to around 1425

and fyi i moved the torch to a lower flow area and it has opened up a bit(this is the second pic i attached) should be the same light level

Attachments

• IMG_2826.mov
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_2856.mov
    3.6 MB
Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

aggrofish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been closed? Torch also seems awfully close to the hammer if it's fully open its close enough for the sweeper tentacles to sting the hammer. Flesh band looks good and while closed up it's not super receded. That's how mine look when feeding. Might just be a flow / light issue. I'm not a fan of torches on the sand bed - they can get irritated from the sand. If you plan on keeping torches it may be worthwhile to look into kung fu corals dip.

I'd put it on a frag rack about a 1/3 way up the tank for starters

OP
OP
N

NayNaed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been closed? Torch also seems awfully close to the hammer if it's fully open its close enough for the sweeper tentacles to sting the hammer. Flesh band looks good and while closed up it's not super receded. That's how mine look when feeding. Might just be a flow / light issue. I'm not a fan of torches on the sand bed - they can get irritated from the sand. If you plan on keeping torches it may be worthwhile to look into kung fu corals dip.

I'd put it on a frag rack about a 1/3 way up the tank for starters
its been closed for about a week and a half now, it was open for about 2 weeks and before that i didnt have the coral. I put it up on a frag rack a bit under half way since i have other corals on there for now. Ill give an update in a few days but i have a feeling its getting to much light some how

aggrofish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been closed for about a week and a half now, it was open for about 2 weeks and before that i didnt have the coral. I put it up on a frag rack a bit under half way since i have other corals on there for now. Ill give an update in a few days but i have a feeling its getting to much light some how
I think slowly moving up/ acclimating is the key. GL

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dinos which contain low level toxins would upset it. If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temp: 78 - 79 deg
Salinity of about 1.025
Ph : 8.1 - 8.3
Calcium level of about 400 - 440 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, torch corals benefit from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
Torch coral is a photosynthetic coral and has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral.

OP
OP
N

NayNaed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think slowly moving up/ acclimating is the key. GL
i decided to turn on my acclimation mode on my lights(hd16) and the coral looks a million times better, i guess im going to put it where i permanently want it and just let the acclimation period run out and see how it likes it.
IMG_2883.jpg

OP
OP
N

NayNaed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos which contain low level toxins would upset it. If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temp: 78 - 79 deg
Salinity of about 1.025
Ph : 8.1 - 8.3
Calcium level of about 400 - 440 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, torch corals benefit from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
Torch coral is a photosynthetic coral and has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral.
Thanks for the reply, at this point i think the coral was just getting a bit to much light

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the reply, at this point i think the coral was just getting a bit to much light
That’ll do it
Avoid the extremes with these guys regarding light and water flow

aggrofish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided to turn on my acclimation mode on my lights(hd16) and the coral looks a million times better, i guess im going to put it where i permanently want it and just let the acclimation period run out and see how it likes it.
View attachment 2761307
Yeah if you don't have a lot of corals already acclimated it's very useful to put the coral where you want and use the acclimation mode on your lights. Torches can handle a good bit of light - more than people think if they're acclimated. Same with hammers.

Rams & Clowns

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a torch with a golden hammer and the hammer is doing great and my torch was to, after a few weeks it just closed up for no reason
my params are :
Cal: 470
Alk: 8.8
Mg: 1350
NO-3: ~8

im in the process of setting up a refugium, i have a lot of hair algae and im pretty sure dinos. im running a skimmer on the tank to and im dosing mag to try and get it to around 1425

and fyi i moved the torch to a lower flow area and it has opened up a bit(this is the second pic i attached) should be the same light level
are your temp and salinity good? phosphate .02 - .10? i’m assuming you use our RODI water with 0 tds right? if so, tough to say. i’ve always found torch coral to be tricky. And frog spawn to be super easy. So when I buy euphyllia i stick with that. I hope you figure it out though. It’s beautiful stuff.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
N

NayNaed

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are your temp and salinity good? phosphate .02 - .10? i’m assuming you use our RODI water with 0 tds right? if so, tough to say. i’ve always found torch coral to be tricky. And frog spawn to be super easy. So when I buy euphyllia i stick with that. I hope you figure it out though. It’s beautiful stuff.
the last time i tested my phos it was 0.08, i am using a rodi filter but its a cheaper one on amazon i found. I bought a icp test and im going to send it out, i think its just the light in all honesty, here's what it looks like today

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back