Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I changed over my canister filter from a whale, 120 to a fluval 407. I also used our oh DI water for the first time in my saltwater tank to do an additional water change. My torch retracted and it’s making me scared my Duncan is good and my gsp as well but my Zoa closed but doesn’t look bad. My torch has never retracted so much and I’m nervous. Any ideas why. Too much stress? The tank is 6months old pho was 1 nitrate was 5 cal 420 but this was all before wc. Salt is 1.025 temp is set to 78 but maybe the water was to cold it was sitting out at room temp and was 2.5 gal

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have pictures of your torch?
9636A3E2-632C-4A03-8DC5-FB7032AE3D92.jpeg
D0A9727A-E4BB-447B-9A31-32415F816B2C.jpeg
AB48386D-75C9-4E18-9611-300596F2350E.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have pictures of your torch?
I think I was over reacting and they didn’t like the change. I see more flesh now and the Zoa opened up a little. I have been battling red and green algae so I got the rodi so I can have pure water so maybe they didn’t like it?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was over reacting and they didn’t like the change. I see more flesh now and the Zoa opened up a little. I have been battling red and green algae so I got the rodi so I can have pure water so maybe they didn’t like it?
Torch looks pretty bad in general, no way it had that much tissue recession over night. It might have been extended before but look how little flesh it has on the base.

Your phos is SUPER high if it's actually 1 and the WC might have just swung it and your nitrates down too quickly which can shock coral. Temp could have also been a problem if you didnt temp match, but more than likely your torch has been ticked off for a while and just noticing some of the side effects like reduced PE.

AS
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will love the new rodi water. They didn’t like the canister swap but will adapt. Did you by chance plug and play with the new canister or did you rinse it out?
I didn’t rinse the whole thing only the media. And I put the old media from the old one as well

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch looks pretty bad in general, no way it had that much tissue recession over night. It might have been extended before but look how little flesh it has on the base.

Your phos is SUPER high if it's actually 1 and the WC might have just swung it and your nitrates down too quickly which can shock coral. Temp could have also been a problem if you didnt temp match, but more than likely your torch has been ticked off for a while and just noticing some of the side effects like reduced PE.
How can I rehabilitate?

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tissue recession is a process doesnt happen over night is broad for this has had tissue recession for awhile. A lot of the time with a torch the issue or problem could have occured 2 wks prior and just didnt know....anything change besides the water to rodi? Light schedule parameter swings do you have a log of regular testing? It still have a flesh band but it is extremely close to the skeletal base. @Lost in the Sauce @MERKEY any ideas with the tank being newer on how to combat....i dont think it would be bacterial yet but maybe flow or lighting? Again op what has changed possibly in the last few weeks. When was the torch added to your system? How long has it been in your tank? Do you have a picture of it when it was first added to compare the flesh band? Like a when your first got it to now....

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tissue recession is a process doesnt happen over night is broad for this has had tissue recession for awhile. A lot of the time with a torch the issue or problem could have occured 2 wks prior and just didnt know....anything change besides the water to rodi? Light schedule parameter swings do you have a log of regular testing? It still have a flesh band but it is extremely close to the skeletal base. @Lost in the Sauce @MERKEY any ideas with the tank being newer on how to combat....i dont think it would be bacterial yet but maybe flow or lighting? Again op what has changed possibly in the last few weeks. When was the torch added to your system? How long has it been in your tank? Do you have a picture of it when it was first added to compare the flesh band? Like a when your first got it to now....
This was a vid when I first got it and that was 2 months ago. Since then I upgraded the lighting to ai prime hd 16. I also got a wave maker. I was using an old power head filter for flow before. I don’t have a log of parameters. I jumped into the hobby before learning all the ins and outs due to lack of knowledge passed down from lfs. I learned a lot from this form and redit. Got a lot of tests and upgrades due to you guys helping. I cycled the tank for a month before adding the gsp and then added the torch two weeks later. Parameters were worse when I got the pho and cal test. Nitrate was also really high. This is the lowest it has been and must be even lower now after using rodi. I fear that my tap was really bad and messing my coral up.
F1D97EBE-F794-4C29-96D1-7F9A8E19D9CB.png

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I rehabilitate?
Make sure it's in a low flow area for now, get the PO4 under control slowly. If water changes aren't doing the trick then you can try some binding agent like GFO to get there. If it's showing any signs of infection you can do a dip in cipro/chemiclean/lugols

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a vid when I first got it and that was 2 months ago. Since then I upgraded the lighting to ai prime hd 16. I also got a wave maker. I was using an old power head filter for flow before. I don’t have a log of parameters. I jumped into the hobby before learning all the ins and outs due to lack of knowledge passed down from lfs. I learned a lot from this form and redit. Got a lot of tests and upgrades due to you guys helping. I cycled the tank for a month before adding the gsp and then added the torch two weeks later. Parameters were worse when I got the pho and cal test. Nitrate was also really high. This is the lowest it has been and must be even lower now after using rodi. I fear that my tap was really bad and messing my coral up.View attachment 3125980
Flesh was VERY good on that when you got it (see how white the base is). It's likely been slowly dying for the past two months and is at the point where it's skeleton is practically exposed and some of the other side effects of necrosis are starting to pop up. I've not always found extension is a good indicator of health on euphyllia

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's in a low flow area for now, get the PO4 under control slowly. If water changes aren't doing the trick then you can try some binding agent like GFO to get there. If it's showing any signs of infection you can do a dip in cipro/chemiclean/lugols
Should I turn off the wave maker? I have my fluval 407 turned down a lot and have all low to moderate flow coral otherwise. A bunch of Zoa, Duncan, gsp and bsp and mushroom.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh was VERY good on that when you got it (see how white the base is). It's likely been slowly dying for the past two months and is at the point where its skeleton is practically exposed and some of the other side effects of necrosis are starting to pop up. I've not always found extension is a good indicator of health on euphyllia
Yes I see that now. The base looks like algae has over run it or something. I definitely jumped the gun when I purchased this coral and wish I was more knowledgeable

Top Shelf Aquatics

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I turn off the wave maker? I have my fluval 407 turned down a lot and have all low to moderate flow coral otherwise. A bunch of Zoa, Duncan, gsp and bsp and mushroom.
Hard to say without seeing the tank but the polyps when extended (at least in my experience, ive seen others have success with high flow) should be a gentle swaying back in forth

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I see that now. The base looks like algae has over run it or something. I definitely jumped the gun when I purchased this coral and wish I was more knowledgeable
Happens to all of us, don't sweat it too much. Now's the time to learn so it doesn't happen again :)

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the light mounted? What size tank and what depth is the torch?.. maybe keep the flow lower and do some research into some par reading with depth....tissue recession can happen with too much light or not enough. Flow looked good in video but when adding the wavemaker how is it positioned...is it direct flow on the torch or indirect?

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the light mounted? What size tank and what depth is the torch?.. maybe keep the flow lower and do some research into some par reading with depth....tissue recession can happen with too much light or not enough. Flow looked good in video but when adding the wavemaker how is it positioned...is it direct flow on the torch or indirect?
About 5 inches high. It’s turned down a lot as of now I was acclimating the Zoa. I did notice the regression before but it extended again so I thought it was okay. The flow then was directly on the coral. Now the wave maker is directed away and on random.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back