Torch Bailing Out or Recovering?

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for 7 days and came back to one of my torches doing quite poorly. It has two heads, and the head closest to my frogspawn was all deflated and none of the tentacles extended. Parts of some of the tentacles even look black. where maybe they're dying.

Water parameters were all good, with Nitrates a little high. I honestly can't tell from this Salifert test kit if they're 25 or 50, but they're somewhere in between.

Params:
Alk: 8.6
PH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
Nitrates: 25-50
Phosphates: 0.16
Mag: 1350
Calc: 400

I swapped the position of the two torches to see if one improves and the other declines. I've never seen them actually touch the frogspawn (I do check in the middle of the night multiple times (everything is all retracted at night and nowhere near as close as they are during the day when fully extended).

In the video you can see how the right side head on the green torch is all unhappy. Some of the tentacles are starting to fluff up and come out, so I'm hoping this will recover, but I wanted to ask what you all think. Recovering or probably losing this head?

One more question.... For those with booming tanks and lots of euphalia, do they always SIGNIFICANTLY retract at night, or just when things aren't going well? I can see the skeleton on the torches heads at night because they go so far in. Not sure if that's a sign of stress or if completely normal.

EDIT: Imgur is probably better than an attachment, so heres that:

Attachments

• IMG_2031.mov
    14.1 MB
Last edited:

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not bailed or bailing
Mine looks like that from time to time for years, I think they get bumped by fish.

I can see nothing to concern me, parameters fine.

Mine 50% retract when light ramps down, 90% in dark.

Hate to be moved
IMG_0232.jpeg

OP
OP
kornface13

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not bailed or bailing
Mine looks like that from time to time for years, I think they get bumped by fish.

I can see nothing to concern me, parameters fine.

Mine 50% retract when light ramps down, 90% in dark.

Hate to be moved
IMG_0232.jpeg

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Thats very reassuring. I would hate for my only coral loss to be my most expensive coral. lol. I'll keep watching it and let it do it's thing.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Thats very reassuring. I would hate for my only coral loss to be my most expensive coral. lol. I'll keep watching it and let it do it's thing.
Give it 24hours to return.
Do you have any crabs or shrimp?
If so, watch them especially if you target feed.

OP
OP
kornface13

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on clowns, they can rub a torch, when attempting to use it as a host, very common.
Heres a current video. Not sure why this cloudy looking stuff is.....hopefully not brown jelly disease? Mouth is pretty open on the other head and tentacles are somewhat retracted.

OP
OP
kornface13

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tried turkey basting it off. I'm pretty sure thats just the inside of my coral and I just made it a touch worse. I'm officially leaving it alone now and not messing with it any further.

OP
OP
kornface13

kornface13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is your tank?
Looking at the rock it looks fairly new.
Its only two months old. I probably jumped the gun on corals, but I test literally everyday (except when I went on vacation) and parameters are very stable with the exception of nitrates which are a touch high.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still bacterial. If you have cipro I'd crush a 500mg tablet into 50ml RO water and use a 1ml pipette to blow a few mls directly into that mess after suctioning that stuff off. Then dose the whole tank 10ml a day for a few days, keeping the skimmer off for a couple hours after. Good luck man, it's never a fun run with bjd.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only two months old. I probably jumped the gun on corals, but I test literally everyday (except when I went on vacation) and parameters are very stable with the exception of nitrates which are a touch high.
Looks bacterial to me, i had something similar happen to all my hammers and torches a few months back.
Was like BJD but with no brown jelly - unfortunately i lost all mine, if i were you i would pull the ones affected straight away before they affect the others.
It seems to spread from head to head...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back