To radion or not?

jmgre1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 120cm tank, 110 gallon tank, with a pari of Radion xr 15 G6 blues.
I would like to also get some LPS corals so I need a par boost, currently only ~120 midway through the tank.
So my question is, I am thinking of getting either xr30, or an AI blade, what are the communities thoughts?

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell the two Radions and go with the ReefBuilders Photon v2. I think you would come out with roughly the same investment but a better lighting solution.

I find the Blades a little pricey for what they do.

If there is no brace, you could also do an XR30 blue in the center with the XR15s on the edges. I just find the Radions to be extremely expensive.

Last edited:

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally stay away from the new radions to many issues with mobius check out polo reefs constant issues of them not keeping time and just comming on full blast and killing live stock . Check out Reefi unos extremely solid built light for half the cost and has a 3 year warranty

OP
OP
J

jmgre1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far, one thing I need to note is that I am in the EU, so some of the brands usually discussed in this forum are not available to me

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 gen4 xr15s sitting on a shelf. One too many times I woke up in the middle of the night to find them blasting coral because mobius changed date and time and ecotech will not even acknowledge the issue much less fix it. I also find them under powered when I compared par output to noopsyche k7s and reefbreeders photons. Personally I recommend anything but radions.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far, one thing I need to note is that I am in the EU, so some of the brands usually discussed in this forum are not available to me
A local reefer here uses the Mitras fixtures. They are truly stunning, and he grows coral like weeds, but they are on the pricey side for sure. Way out of my budget. Should be easily available in the EU and likely saves you on any of the hidden import fees as they ship out of Germany.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I have a 120cm tank, 110 gallon tank, with a pari of Radion xr 15 G6 blues.
I would like to also get some LPS corals so I need a par boost, currently only ~120 midway through the tank.
So my question is, I am thinking of getting either xr30, or an AI blade, what are the communities thoughts?
If you are ok with mobius, then another xr 30 would be good.
I was a big fan up through gen 4's. But IMO mobius sucks compared with the old software.
I've never had the control issues some have had, but it's just clunky.

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the blades mixed with radions. But I run cubes, so I can get away with shorter Blades. The reason I like the blades is because the light has a T5 quality as a fill. My radions are all gen4's. If those were not available to my I would look into lights that blanket the tank. T5's, ATI Stratons, Phillips coral care, Orphek etc. Not so much what lights you use, but how they fill your tank. You can always throw in a Kessil for shimmer.

OP
OP
J

jmgre1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL, EU version of Photons, GNC BluRay (but they may be a little pricey?)
I saw an advertisment for the GNC BluRay on Instagram but didnt think anything of it. Will do some research on them, will also need to think of a mounting solution for it along with the radions.

reefiteasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blades will probably give you better coverage. G6 radions par isn’t great. Consider ditching radion for the reefis

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back