To de-plug your frag or not to de-plug your frag.....that is the question.

Leave frag plugs on or ditch frag plugs when gluing to rocks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not experienced enough to de-plug them lol. So I am a bit hesitant on doing so without risking damage. For the most part I don't see a reason for it. Maybe for my plates I'd want to. I have some with no plugs and some with them. I do find the ones without ones look much more happier.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the "it depends" option? Its better to ditch the plug if you can to help avoid pests, but that's not always possible or advisable if the frag isn't easily separable from the plug.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
is the coral fully encrusted over the plug? cut the stem or use the spikes that @stoney7713 makes.

is the coral not fully encrusted? you can cut the stem, or ditch the plug entirely. your call.

i do both in no particular order and is based on status of the coral(if encrusted over the plug or not)

Vinaka_vakalevu

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow what mojo does, remove those that aren't crusted those that are get the bottom removed and the base glued down

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where it’s going but almost always clip the base off and keep the frag on the frag disc.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where it’s going but almost always clip the base off and keep the frag on the frag disc.
i just started doing this myself. the long ugly base makes it harder to put in certain places, sticks out like a sore thumb, and can have pests. this is my vote. either remove it all the way, or like you said just cut off the base.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just started doing this myself. the long ugly base makes it harder to put in certain places, sticks out like a sore thumb, and can have pests. this is my vote. either remove it all the way, or like you said just cut off the base.
Leaving the frag disc on also gives a really good base to glue the frag in place. This is a must for non encrusting sps like anacropora

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the stem off and leave the plate, sandwich epoxy and glue and then add to rock. I usually add the full plug to my frag rack to acclimate to the lighting for about 2 weeks first though. Would be very inconvenient to take off from the frag plug right away - i like taking my time to figure out where a frag will be placed besides giving it time to acclimate

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remove as much of the plug as I can. For encrusting coral, I will even cut the top of the crown with a gryphon saw. I usually glue back onto one of my new plugs afterward.

I remove the plugs to prevent pests though. The pests and eggs can be on the non-coral areas of the plug so I would rather do the work and lose a little coral instead of betting the farm so-to-speak.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back