Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 19/0. The latest died after the Third day of doing a drip of Saltwater from the Aquarium they were going in. First day was a 75% RO/DI water to 25% Saltwater, pH 7.8 Ammonia 0 Saltwater ppt was below 16 ppt Second Day pH 7.8 Ammonia 0 with Fresh and Saltwater Test Kits, Saltwater 18 ppt. After Third Day Three Dead, Two Struggling, One okay. pH 8.0 Saltwater Ammonia Test 0.25 ppm Saltwater 25 ppt Transferred the three to Cycled Aquarium, as I couldn’t figure out what was going on, all died. A steady temperature of 78.3 F. First Group were Black Sailfin 2 males and 4 Females
from PetCo. Second Batch Green Sailfin 2 males and 5 Females. These were advertised as Saltwater Mollies, but were shipped overnight in Freshwater, paid a fortune, with shipping. Third and last Batch Black Mollies with a bit of Orange on their tails. 2 males and 4 Females.

Top Shelf Aquatics

unchaotic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer I bought three black sailfin mollies out of a freshwater tank at the store. Temp acclimated them for 10-15 minutes and tossed them in the tank. All three did just fine. Lost one a couple months later, still have the other two.

YMMV

stephydawn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two I just pulled and male and female out of my fresh water tank and plopped them into my saltwater tank. They have been in there 3 months now and are doing good. They were younger babies that were born in my freshwater tank the end of summer last year if that makes a difference. The female looks pregnant already. I’m general my mollies don’t seem to last great in my freshwater tank either. I haven’t had them live over a year yet. Same with guppies. Some do good for a whole while others die after a few months. I think they are just half inbred and not the healthiest fish to begin with.

Hhaynie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
domestic mollies probably probably won't do as well as fish that are closer to wild. they're inbred in freshwater for generations. Avoid all the fancy strains and go for fish that look closer to wild mollies. it's common in freshwater for common fish to be mismanaged and overbred.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some Green Sailfins, out Texas, last year. They were supposed to be Saltwater, but were shipped in freshwater. I complained but, they ship better, it’s for disease prevention etc. No refund despite two being DOA.

Weaverjay101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great success just doing a 8 hour slow acclimation. Buy healthy looking mollies from the store and place in a gallon fish bowl with an airstone. Slowly add salt every hour or so over the course of the day. Once you reach the salinity of your saltwater tank transfer them over.

kourtnee

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing a slow drip for 2 days, and I lost all 5. I purchased 5 more and went slow but never drip acclimated them, instead I added enough SW when I first brought them home I think it was around 1.014 then I just went really slow with it every 2 days I added in a cup of SW until I was up to around 1.024 then I waited another 2 days and then added them to my main tank and all 4 are doing great and even had babies a couple of times. The babies born in the full SW are also doing great. I think sometimes it really depends on the fish and how that fish was being taken care of. It is frustrating, especially when you hear others say they are just dropping them in! Take your time.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but we go to all this expense to set up a reef salt water aquarium and we put beginner fresh water fish in. I'm an old old school reefer, am I missing the purpose here. Sorry, I just don't get it, do they have a known utilitarian reason to be put in a reef tank ? If so, then I "Guess" I get it.

stephydawn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but we go to all this expense to set up a reef salt water aquarium and we put beginner fresh water fish in. I'm an old old school reefer, am I missing the purpose here. Sorry, I just don't get it, do they have a known utilitarian reason to be put in a reef tank ? If so, then I "Guess" I get it.
I used mine to jump start my cycle. It was easier to just grab them from my fresh tank. There are only a couple fish stores near me and it’s sometimes a waiting game to get what you want. I couldn’t stand just looking at the empty tank and didn’t want my cycle to restart or stall if didn’t have anything to add when it was ready. Mine do constantly pick algae all day. They have had babies a few times. A dozen made it to the chamber but I’m assuming got sucked up my the pump eventually. Next time I may see if my fish store will take them as a trade and put them in a breeder box.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GrandmaRaff

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water fish???????? I live in South Florida and mollies are brackish and salt water fish. They were converted to fresh water mid last century because salt water tanks were virtually non-existent. We catch wild ones in our lagoons. As for old school, I've had marine aquariums since I was 15 and now I'm 69. Mollies are incredible algae eaters. I can't grow algae in my tank even with the lights on for nearly 18 hours a day. My corals have never looked better and grow like weeds. Before I introduced the mollies I was in a constant battle with hair algae and tried everything from Fluconazole to the Oxidizer. I had to remove them hoping to grow a little algae as a food source but ended up feeding them Nori from my local asian market

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acquired my mollies and started the salt acclimation on the ride home by raising it by 6 ppt every two hours. Did this over a day or two. Only stressed for about half a day. Both survived. Have heard of some just dropping them in. My acclimation was however in the tank which was cycled previously at 12 ppt. Perhaps the drip acclimation more to do with water they stay in vs the increase in salt.

Mine were Sailfin and I’m told those acclimate better but regular mollies should as well. Guppies, too.

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fresh water fish???????? I live in South Florida and mollies are brackish and salt water fish. They were converted to fresh water mid last century because salt water tanks were virtually non-existent. We catch wild ones in our lagoons. As for old school, I've had marine aquariums since I was 15 and now I'm 69. Mollies are incredible algae eaters. I can't grow algae in my tank even with the lights on for nearly 18 hours a day. My corals have never looked better and grow like weeds. Before I introduced the mollies I was in a constant battle with hair algae and tried everything from Fluconazole to the Oxidizer. I had to remove them hoping to grow a little algae as a food source but ended up feeding them Nori from my local asian market
I also catch them in the low country of South Carolina while cast netting for shrimp and bait fish. The wild ones are incredibly beautiful!

BRS
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back