Threadfin butterfly laying on its side

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming lost cause here. Had him for about 2 weeks and was actually a very aggressive eater and ate very well. Today randomly he didn’t eat, came home from work and he was like this. Still breathing but seems to be very heavy almost gasping for air. LFS will take him back, but worried about possible disease to other fish? no signs of ick but not familiar with any other disease

74526473495__C25CCEA6-1B2A-4C66-934C-56DD93B1AE77.jpeg

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely going to qt from here on out. Do you think it’s disease related or because it’s wild caught it just isn’t doing well in home aquarium? Water parameters are perfect
It could be disease related, or it could be related to it being a new fish (collection issues,etc.) However, doing well and suddenly going downhill is a hallmark of protozoan disease. Your primary focus is going to have to be damage control in case your existing fish contract the same issue.

TTM won’t help at this point I’m afraid.

What other fish are in the tank?
Do you have access to a treatment tank?

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be disease related, or it could be related to it being a new fish (collection issues,etc.) However, doing well and suddenly going downhill is a hallmark of protozoan disease. Your primary focus is going to have to be damage control in case your existing fish contract the same issue.

I have 2 clownfish, a fire fish goby, a royal gramma, and a one spot foxface. What would a treatment tank be considered? I have a tank that I just set up for a qt tank if that would work.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6066.jpeg

This was the only weird thing I noticed about him, I didn’t take it as a disease tho could definitely be wrong still very new to this lol not sure if this will help at all! -the tiny little white spot

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6066.jpeg

This was the only weird thing I noticed about him, I didn’t take it as a disease tho could definitely be wrong still very new to this lol not sure if this will help at all! -the tiny little white spot
That looks like a minor viral disease common in butterflyfish called Lymphocystis. It isn’t fatal and isn’t why your fish crashed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’m assuming lost cause here. Had him for about 2 weeks and was actually a very aggressive eater and ate very well. Today randomly he didn’t eat, came home from work and he was like this. Still breathing but seems to be very heavy almost gasping for air. LFS will take him back, but worried about possible disease to other fish? no signs of ick but not familiar with any other disease

74526473495__C25CCEA6-1B2A-4C66-934C-56DD93B1AE77.jpeg
TTM will finish the job and kill this fish not that its not already in trouble. This fish may be moribund and will likely not eat or swim normal moving forward if it is that.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM will finish the job and kill this fish not that its not already in trouble. This fish may be moribund and will likely not eat or swim normal moving forward if it is that.
Like I said, LFS told me to just bring it back and I’ll get my money back. I’m just concerned about the other fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Like I said, LFS told me to just bring it back and I’ll get my money back. I’m just concerned about the other fish
I dont see anything being contagious at this time.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back