Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to see if people think I can get away with a starry blenny and a tailspot blenny in a 40g tank. I really enjoy blennies and the starry and tailspot seem to look the most different and was wondering if they'd get along. there's a ton of hiding spots in my rock by the way.

current stocklist (no issues):
1starry blenny (biggest fish)
2 ocellaris clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 bangaii cardinal
1 longnose hawkfish

Nutramar Foods

Big G

captain dunsel
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes fish that inhabit the same zones and that have similar body shapes conflict. Starry Blenny can be a real pain. They are very smart and observant. Had one relentlessly go after a Pink Spot Goby in QT. Even egg crate divider wouldn't stop it. Had to add 1/4" mesh to the egg crate. Now the weird thing was once they were both in the main tank (100) they were fine. Fish are weird. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes fish that inhabit the same zones and that have similar body shapes conflict. Starry Blenny can be a real pain. They are very smart and observant. Had one relentlessly go after a Pink Spot Goby in QT. Even egg crate divider wouldn't stop it. Had to add 1/4" mesh to the egg crate. Now the weird thing was once they were both in the main tank (100) they were fine. Fish are weird. :rolleyes:
yeah he's definitely the nosiest fish in my tank. constantly has to see what everyone else is going. everyone also has their own part of the tank minus the six line who swims everywhere.

I feel like it should be fine, but honestly won't know unless I try it. I've been lucky so far with compatibility just don't want to ruin it now.

Corals.com

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current list has a lot of stubborn and feisty contenders for dominance of the 40g turf. I have learned that once you have a good crew that has fairly peaceful existence that adding “just one more” is the final straw that sets off the struggle that often results in fish sickness, plagues and death of “the last addition” and often with one or two of the other community members, if the whole tank doesn’t sacrum to the stress and sickness that break out.
Maybe it won’t happen? I’m thinking that it might be time for an upgrade to a tank with more space?

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current list has a lot of stubborn and feisty contenders for dominance of the 40g turf. I have learned that once you have a good crew that has fairly peaceful existence that adding “just one more” is the final straw that sets off the struggle that often results in fish sickness, plagues and death of “the last addition” and often with one or two of the other community members, if the whole tank doesn’t sacrum to the stress and sickness that break out.
Maybe it won’t happen? I’m thinking that it might be time for an upgrade to a tank with more space?
this was the upgrade tank haha. 4 of them used to be in a 15 gallon

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also kind of tried to keep it a bit for feisty in the hope that each of these fish can hold their own. had friendly fish before and they didn't fair so well. lost 2 gobies because they were to scared for the tank.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just wanted to see if people think I can get away with a starry blenny and a tailspot blenny in a 40g tank. I really enjoy blennies and the starry and tailspot seem to look the most different and was wondering if they'd get along. there's a ton of hiding spots in my rock by the way.

current stocklist (no issues):
1starry blenny (biggest fish)
2 ocellaris clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 bangaii cardinal
1 longnose hawkfish
I've got a 125 with a Lawnmower and a Starry. They barely tolerate each other and it's a 6' tank with plenty of hiding spots.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a lawn mower and a gold Midas blenny. They don’t bother each other one bit.

I’d say they do fine unless you added the star blenny and lawnmower who look very similiar
The thing to remember here is that both of them have different diets. Tailspot and Starry Blenny both eat the same food which can cause some agression.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Vivid
Back