Thoughts on Powder Blue Tang? I want to get a powder blue but heard they are ick magnets.

Nutramar

Nemolover12

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve really been wanting to get a powder blue tang but people have been telling me that they are ick magnets and could wipe out the whole tank. I don’t currently have a qt tank but I found someone who says he will sell it to me quarantined for $120.
Do you think it’s worth getting it or is it too risky?

BRS
Nutramar Foods

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve really been wanting to get a powder blue tang but people have been telling me that they are ick magnets and could wipe out the whole tank. I don’t currently have a qt tank but I found someone who says he will sell it to me quarantined for $120.
Do you think it’s worth getting it or is it too risky?
they are huge ich magnets... they almost all manage it get ich

World Wide Corals

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Powder brown, similar behavior and biology. Obviously you would need to do medicated quarantine. You need large, long tank as those are extremely active. They chase other fish, especially similar shape ( Tangs, Angelfish etc), so it should be your last addition to DT.
I couldn't add many fish after I got mine, it would bully many of them to starvation.
I am bit skeptical getting it from somebody based on "Gentelman's agreement". Setting up quarantine tank is not that difficult , or get it from one of bigger, established online places like FisHotel or similar.

Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with fish only but I just recently decided to add a few frags of some zoas, Goni, chalice, and duncans
Even QT’ed fish can get ich so you will need to get a QT just in case. Petco has those 10G for $10 all the time. Pick up one of those and a sponge filter from Amazon plus a heater and some PVCs and a small circulation pump then there you go

OP
OP
N

Nemolover12

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even QT’ed fish can get ich so you will need to get a QT just in case. Petco has those 10G for $10 all the time. Pick up one of those and a sponge filter from Amazon plus a heater and some PVCs and a small circulation pump then there you go
Ok. The guy I’m planning to buy from has a conditioned powder blue for $30 bucks cheaper. Do you think I should just get that and set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank? If so, how long would I need to quarantine him?

Nutramar Foods

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The guy I’m planning to buy from has a conditioned powder blue for $30 bucks cheaper. Do you think I should just get that and set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank? If so, how long would I need to quarantine him?
If you have never qt a fish before i suggest to start out with something easier and cheaper.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well how big is the fish? you should qt a fish 4-6 weeks but if hes is bigger than 3.5 inches you might want a bigger qt tank. you def need to qt him

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
N

Nemolover12

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you trust that “someone” knows what they’re doing as far as quarantining goes then yeah it’s worth it. However are the rest of your fish quarantined? If not it’s a waste of time.
He is someone that I saw on Facebook and I have been seeing a lot of people say he is a good seller that quarantines correctly. So I feel like I might take the risk.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back