Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mapping the plumbing for my 150 gallon with Trigger Systems Triton 44. Please let me know your thoughts on the plan. Orange is drain, green is return. I plan on throwing a rubber coupling on the vertical return portion from the pump and on each side of the tee to allow for some vibration absorption and quick service. My LFS and I are planning to use the COR 20 to control flow, which is why there are no valves.

Gallery

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mapping the plumbing for my 150 gallon with Trigger Systems Triton 44. Please let me know your thoughts on the plan. Orange is drain, green is return. I plan on throwing a rubber coupling on the vertical return portion from the pump and on each side of the tee to allow for some vibration absorption and quick service. My LFS and I are planning to use the COR 20 to control flow, which is why there are no valves.

Gallery
Valves are imo very important. I have one on return and display drain. I use mine All of the Time. Turn both off holds water level in the sump and tank at the same level while doing maintenance, water changes, cleaning ECT...

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want a valve on your main drain or you will be fighting with your pump constantly to keep the system balanced and quiet. Leave it wide open if you want to try using the pump to balance the system. I'll bet you revert to the valve in less than 2 weeks.
I would keep the drains high until you turn them down into the sump just to keep things nice and open for access. It looks like you have them cutting over and down at an angle. Inches count in the stand.

OP
OP
OnePuffMan

OnePuffMan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want a valve on your main drain or you will be fighting with your pump constantly to keep the system balanced and quiet. Leave it wide open if you want to try using the pump to balance the system. I'll bet you revert to the valve in less than 2 weeks.
I would keep the drains high until you turn them down into the sump just to keep things nice and open for access. It looks like you have them cutting over and down at an angle. Inches count in the stand.
I originally had the pipes running along the stand then going straight down but was worried that the ~20" drop would be noisy and a 30" flat run to the furthest would cause issues. Was I wrong?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a plumber by trade,I would ALWAYS use valves AND check valves. Especically if the power goes out those few extra gallons in the sump can be bad if not planned for it.

And for the small price of under $100 for safety and ease of mind what would hurt ? I would suggest full port double union valves and check valves. HomeDepot and Lowes both carry unions,check valves and double union ball valves.

Unions:

Check Valve:

Union Ball Valves:

Top Shelf Aquatics

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally had the pipes running along the stand then going straight down but was worried that the ~20" drop would be noisy and a 30" flat run to the furthest would cause issues. Was I wrong?
straight drop should be no problem, in fact check out @benapilot's 150G build thread here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/benapilots-sca-150-upgrade.769572/page-2
he's using external overflow w straight drop and it's dead silent. (p 2& 3). BTW - love the user name! ;)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are planing on running a beananimal style drain. When properly adjusted the distance of the drop means nothing.
The main drain is a full siphon and should exit the pipe just below the water level, no air means no noise.
The secondary drain will only carry a trickle of water which will cling to the interior of the pipe as it flows and should also exit the pipe just below the water level, no noise.
The third drain is your emergency, ideally no water ever flows here, when it does you want it to exit the pipe above the water so that it intentionally makes noise alerting you "hey, there is a problem".

When you think about it, most tanks and stands are pretty much the same as far as basic setup and dimensions go. So people are not encountering dramatically different situations as to how far their plumbing needs to go. There is a reason some people have loud tanks with salt creep everywhere and why some people have silent tanks without salt creep.

For the record, I have the Triton 44 sump on my system. Not to say that having any particular sump or tank changes the principles.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back