I'm overthinking this aren't I? 3/4" or 1" return pipe?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does make me more confident about using the 3/4" on my system! Thank you.
I also have a manifold with 5 taps on it so some of the flow is diverted to reactors also. I currently have one on it for carbon. I did have a biopellet reactor and and calcium reactor but those are not on the system now.

Nutramar Foods
BRS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
One of the advantages of DC pumps is that they are variable. You don't need to "choke" them, just dial down the power...

Perhaps you misunderstood my statement. Plumbing that's too small would choke the pump. I'm advocating for larger plumbing, that's all.

There are a lot threads on this forum where people buy 2000 GPH pump and report ~370GPH as read by apex. In nearly every case its not the head pressure and or elbow fittings - its almost always plumbing that's too small. Barb fittings are biggest offenders and take already small diameter of the undersized pipe to a whole new restricted level.

Hope this clarifies it.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm worried about that barb fitting between the vinyl tubing from the pump to the PVC pipe as well. I ordered one for 3/4" tubing online but didn't realize how small the barbed side would be till I got it. I think I need to get something else. Is there a fitting that the vinyl tubing would fit into (but stay in reliably) instead of having to go over?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm worried about that barb fitting between the vinyl tubing from the pump to the PVC pipe as well. I ordered one for 3/4" tubing online but didn't realize how small the barbed side would be till I got it. I think I need to get something else. Is there a fitting that the vinyl tubing would fit into (but stay in reliably) instead of having to go over?
I have 5 barb fittings on mine between the pump and the return back into the tank. One is on the pump itself. The Sicce 3.0 suggest 3/4 return tubing for that pump. Below is a photo of my sump with the Sicce 3.0 inside and the fittings and tubing for it to connect to the manifold. The mainfold has a ball valve and a barb fitting to a hose which goes up to the overflow which also has a barb fitting for the hose. The overflow even has a venturi on on it for starting the overfloe. It is probably more of a restriction than the barb fittings. There is also some flow diverted to the carbon reactor also. I don't have any good photos of the manifold except when the stand was under construction. The last two photos show the manifold between the other two PVC pipes which have the wiring running from the back cabinet to the front of the stand where there is an enclosed area for electronics behind the front door of the stand. The manifold has 5 ball valves and outlets for return line and other reactors as needed. This is on a 42 gallon hex tank and it has enough flow for the return back to the tank. The tank has 2 MP10's for flow in the tank.

Sump Side View.jpeg

20150831_164635000_iOS.jpeg

20150831_164627000_iOS.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

I got around this very issue by using adapters like below, I go wider right past the pump, then use barb, then larger hose, then barb then inverted adapter. The internal diameter of the pump output is maintained through the entire connection with no restriction. Works very well on 2 pumps I did recently on the new build.

1683743193165.png

Barb fitting goes on the wider side.

I'll snap a pic when I get home if I don't forget .

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722
What size hose do you use? 3/4" as well?
I just measured it and it is 1" outside diameter. I found some in my unused tubing that was 1" outside and it measured 3/4" inside. I believe that was left over from what I used to attach the pump to the manifold with. If I remember correctly the fitting that comes with that pump is 3/4" barb.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've been making too many boards about this project but it's my first time plumbing a system and anxiety is a huge issue. Don't want to have to redo this later so looking for some final advice before I start cutting my pipe!

My system:
  • 40g tank + 16g sump + possible addition of a second 20-25 display tank later = 81 gallons max
  • max 5x turnover, about 400gph
  • total head loss ~ 6.5 feet
  • Sicce Syncra 3.0 should be capable of about 460gph at that height according to head loss chart (might upgrade to better pump later)
I planned to use 3/4" pipe for the return but then came across some posts to the effect that 1" is better for over 300gph because of friction. Thoughts? Is it worth going up to 1" to be safe?

Thanks in advance!
I’m building my umpteenth build and am asking return and drain plumbing questions!! No shame. I’m freaking out here too and second guessing my choices.

I’d go with the manufacturers recommended size or the biggest fitting the pump comes with if possible.

I can confirm 3/4” will handle over 400gph with some 90’s and 3’ feet of vertical run.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building my umpteenth build and am asking return and drain plumbing questions!! No shame. I’m freaking out here too and second guessing my choices.
I really appreciate that, thank you!

Given the responses here I decided it's not worth the drive to return the pipe I already have and buy 1". (Because of course I had to have black pipe and it's only available at one store which is far from where I live! :rolleyes: ) But I do need to change out my barb fitting to match the inner diameter of the 3/4" pipe. I guess I might have to buy a 1" fitting, use 1" vinyl tubing and then reduce to 3/4" at the pipe...

CLICK TO VIEW

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black pipe will look super cool! I admit I didn’t check the rating on your Sicce pump but at a 300gph goal I don’t think you should worry too much between 3/4 and 1”. I think barb fittings and hose definitely have their place but make sure to get some plastic clamps (in black of course). Yes, they do tend to reduce flow as well. They make a black, 3/4” flexible schedule 40 hose that can be glued into schedule 40 fittings as an alternative. Home Depot sells it.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the plastic hose might slip off the barb fitting without a clamp?

I considered using flexible PVC for my whole return line at one point actually. But I imagine if connected directly to the pump it won't minimize vibration the way vinyl tubing would no? And I do need to reduce noise as much as possible because the tank will be in the bedroom. (Which also doesn't help the anxiety around plumbing for the first time! It'll be nasty if I have to fix noise issues once I plumb everything and start testing...)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back