Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, there has been much worse words of wisdom doled out at your average LFS. Not all tanks have pests. Vermetids are quite common. Aptasia is as well. But I personally wouldn't buy frags from a tank that I saw aptasia in.

Petco doesnt have any guarantee on saltwater fish either, but I'd like to think most LFS are willing to do something guarantee wise.

Magic erasers are magical. And reef safe.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Billdogg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd find another LFS.

A number of years ago I went to a local reef store that I had heard about. I must admit that some of their stock really caught my eye, and I was on the verge of spending several hundred dollars there. Then the owner came out and started talking to me. I told him about my setup and he proceeded to tell me how everything I had done was wrong, and that my system was headed towards an inevitable crash. That whoever had told me to do it that way was wrong, and that the way his system was setup was the ONLY way to succeed.

I thanked him for the information and told him that I needed to go home and take care of my ticking time bomb before the explosion.

This was about 2013, My ticking time bomb had been in continuous service since 1988, and remains a healthy, vibrant reef to this day.

I haven't been back.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS is just as bad, I pointed out that a show sized blue tang they're selling for 200 bucks is seriously ill as it was lying on its side moving its gills rapidly and had very little flesh on its face and they told me its gotten alot better since it came in... I was there a week earlier it was swimming/looked just fine. And vermatid/aiptasia heaven in that system. But sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and buy from people like that if there's few other stores in the area. Just all the more reason to check frags over and dip them/Qt fish (I say that and don't Qt fish myself what a hypocrite xD)

BRS

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly critical and unforgiving of LFS owners. You can tell which ones still have the passion and the ones that have become more jaded.

Reefers are basically cash pinatas. When you're a new customer and they don't recognize you. It should be all hands on deck, help this man or woman. We need to earn this customer! In my experience, the genuinely passionate ones recognize these customers and do their best to earn your business.

The jaded ones often won't give you the time of day. Not unless you're looking at the $400 Yellow Tang. If you do engage, it's as if their time is far too valuable. They're tired of making the effort. They're likely struggling as a business or will be eventually.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I went to my LFS today (not a good experience) & the owner said all tanks have pests, you can’t do anything about it, then showed me all the aiptasia & vermited snails in his tanks. He has no guarantee on any fish/coral/living things, per the sign he pointed out, but a YouTube video I saw said no guarantee or warranty is a red flag. I told him my nitrate kit isn’t here yet and asked for a water test & he stated “if I tested everyone’s water who came in here, I would have to shut down”. THEN he showed me the Magic Eraser he uses to clean the tanks - on the inside - with fish/coral in it. He said there’s no chemicals (but there is, I’ve looked it up) and then wrung out the water from it into the tank.

What do y’all think of this? It didn’t feel right to me, but maybe this is normal? I know I have multiple questions in one but this has all been bothering me all day. Thoughts? Opinions? Is this stuff normal?

There is no chemical in a original magic eraser. They are safe. I use one on my 7g acrylic tank for 7 years now. It’s the best ever for not stretching a acrylic tank.

Just FYI.

Pests don’t bother me but I also rather not have any LFS opinions unless I ask for it. Let me shop in peace.

I think it’s kinda meh he wouldn’t test your water though. I feel like even petco does that.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And honestly it’s not like they’re busy at all hours of the day. Unless it’s a really big and/or popular store there’s plenty of time for maintenance
Yes exactly!! Like I know they have customers, but I was there for maybe 45 minutes, give or take, and only 2 people came in to buy some saltwater but they went into the back and filled up all of their buckets themselves. The guy I talked to never even helped them do anything. Then he got a phone call, walked away, and never came back. the other time I went there, I never saw any customers come in. Like the whole 40+ mins I was there.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly critical and unforgiving of LFS owners. You can tell which ones still have the passion and the ones that have become more jaded.

Reefers are basically cash pinatas. When you're a new customer and they don't recognize you. It should be all hands on deck, help this man or woman. We need to earn this customer! In my experience, the genuinely passionate ones recognize these customers and do their best to earn your business.

The jaded ones often won't give you the time of day. Not unless you're looking at the $400 Yellow Tang. If you do engage, it's as if their time is far too valuable. They're tired of making the effort. They're likely struggling as a business or will be eventually.
I agree with you 100%. I thought the same, he should’ve definitely treated me and my situation better. I told him how stressed out I was and how I didn’t know what to do and it’s almost like I had to beg for his attention, even though I dang sure did not lol. I won’t beg anyone to treat me fair or kind, I’ll just say goodbye lol. From what I could see, the people who shop there are very similar to the owner - Rude, inconsiderate, uninterested. The owner asked a customer to help ID some pests I have, and the guy literally didn’t even look or walk my way and said “nope I don’t know” and the guy & owner laughed as if it’s funny I need help and can’t get it. Plus everything I said to the owner, he kept interrupting me with basic answers that I probably could’ve gotten from a 12 year old

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS dudes are super chill. Like you can grill out with them kind of guys. Actually they do grill out some days for customer appreciation days so you can come get some free brats or burgers and chat!

Some people still enjoy their job but it’s not always easy to find those ones these days.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no chemical in a original magic eraser. They are safe. I use one on my 7g acrylic tank for 7 years now. It’s the best ever for not stretching a acrylic tank.

Just FYI.

Pests don’t bother me but I also rather not have any LFS opinions unless I ask for it. Let me shop in peace.

I think it’s kinda meh he wouldn’t test your water though. I feel like even petco does that.
Thank you for the opinions! That’s why I wanted to post on here about what happened because I know most of y’all have been doing this a while and since this is the second time I had a really crappy experience with a LFS owner and thought maybe it’s normal. I’m relieved the magic eraser is safe, but I do wish he would’ve helped that little copperband…she just couldn’t swim with the flow Aimed in her face like that. I tried to say something to him but he brushed it off and said it’s normal behavior and they’re just difficult fish

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS dudes are super chill. Like you can grill out with them kind of guys. Actually they do grill out some days for customer appreciation days so you can come get some free brats or burgers and chat!
Wow that’s awesome!! That’s what I’m Trying to find lol something great like that. And at the very least, a store that will help me since I literally need help before I go crazy lol. Thank God for this forum or I would be doomed hahaha

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I felt so bad for them!! Especially that poor little copperband butterfly. She was probably so sad and stressed from not being able to swim with that poorly positioned flow
OMG, that's awful! I hate to say it but this might be one of those places that should be reported. I think we can all tell the difference between a place that might be a little off (maybe they had a bad week and didn't get to the tanks) vs a place that has no business caring for animals of any kind because they are consistently abominable! It sounds like the equivalent of a puppy mill (a fish mill). Maybe they should only be selling dry goods and hardware!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There comes a time in every serious refers life when you know more than most LFS employees/owners

Knowing more and being able to see through their crap is a super power you can take with you from LFS to LFS.

Knowing is half the battle

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually pretty common, imo.
Their is no magic in keeping a reef tank but I am still amazed at what I hear sometimes.
I am lucky the 3 stores within 3 miles are nice people but I hear the same complaints from locals about all 3 stores, so?
I think it must be real difficult for new reefers to the hobby if you go to several different stores and get conflicting answers.

I have listened to people in stores and online and if they did some reading up on the subject they would not always be having issues.

I went to several lfs 3-4 hours away for some diversity. One unnamed store has a website that I would buy from without question just from the way the pics looked.
I walked in looked around, no one spoke or even looked up.
The store was a joke and im not sure where the corals they sell online were. I made a lap and walked out.
I went to 5 total and bought at 2 and plan to go back. I am not sure how the other 3 stay in business.
So thats less than 50% worth going back to.

Their are at least 20+ lfs in the area I was.
I do plan to visit Neptune in San Jose as it was recommended.

I think most lfs are hobbiests and not business people. Many lack people skills and tend to be know it alls from my 30+ years of experience.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, there has been much worse words of wisdom doled out at your average LFS. Not all tanks have pests. Vermetids are quite common. Aptasia is as well. But I personally wouldn't buy frags from a tank that I saw aptasia in.

Petco doesnt have any guarantee on saltwater fish either, but I'd like to think most LFS are willing to do something guarantee wise.

Magic erasers are magical. And reef safe.
I definitely believe it when you say there has been much worse!! I went to another LFS, the one that’s 45 mins away, and when I told the owner about all the stuff the other two stores said… he made a face like “uhhh what” lol. definitely like this other place better. And I do get it, with the no guarantee, but I think it was more so the way he approached the policy. If he’s not willing to help his customers troubleshoot or understand, obviously the fish or coral isn’t going to do well, which opens the door for a wanted return or exchange

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, that's awful! I hate to say it but this might be one of those places that should be reported. I think we can all tell the difference between a place that might be a little off (maybe they had a bad week and didn't get to the tanks) vs a place that has no business caring for animals of any kind because they are consistently abominable! It sounds like the equivalent of a puppy mill (a fish mill). Maybe they should only be selling dry goods and hardware!
I agree! I went to a diff LFS today, in a different county 45 mins away, and when I told the owner & a 18 year reefer customer about what I witnessed and dealt with, they were pretty shocked about it all. the customer told me the one LFS that doesn’t care for their tanks used to be an online store and just recently opened up the physical location. I agree about reporting them tbh, cause that’s not okay with me that they’re being so negligent with the animals. I can’t stop thinking about that poor little copperband

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There comes a time in every serious refers life when you know more than most LFS employees/owners

Knowing more and being able to see through their crap is a super power you can take with you from LFS to LFS.

Knowing is half the battle
That’s something I never thought about, I guess I thought that no matter what LFS you go to, they’re always gonna be the most knowledgeable. I’m definitely trying to learn a lot

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually pretty common, imo.
Their is no magic in keeping a reef tank but I am still amazed at what I hear sometimes.
I am lucky the 3 stores within 3 miles are nice people but I hear the same complaints from locals about all 3 stores, so?
I think it must be real difficult for new reefers to the hobby if you go to several different stores and get conflicting answers.

I have listened to people in stores and online and if they did some reading up on the subject they would not always be having issues.

I went to several lfs 3-4 hours away for some diversity. One unnamed store has a website that I would buy from without question just from the way the pics looked.
I walked in looked around, no one spoke or even looked up.
The store was a joke and im not sure where the corals they sell online were. I made a lap and walked out.
I went to 5 total and bought at 2 and plan to go back. I am not sure how the other 3 stay in business.
So thats less than 50% worth going back to.

Their are at least 20+ lfs in the area I was.
I do plan to visit Neptune in San Jose as it was recommended.

I think most lfs are hobbiests and not business people. Many lack people skills and tend to be know it alls from my 30+ years of experience.
Oh wow, that’s basically the situation I’m in. I’ve been to 3, and only 1 is worth it for me to go back. Only thing is, I got a coralife digital thermometer from the one I was at yesterday… $9. Plus all sales final. So I was like heck no, let me get one from Amazon for like a couple dollars. Then the place I went today, I asked if I can give them the $9 thermometer for store credit, and they sell the exact same one for $12..but yet she only gave me a little under $5 for store credit. is that normal? lol. I feel like they are over priced but maybe not

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that’s basically the situation I’m in. I’ve been to 3, and only 1 is worth it for me to go back. Only thing is, I got a coralife digital thermometer from the one I was at yesterday… $9. Plus all sales final. So I was like heck no, let me get one from Amazon for like a couple dollars. Then the place I went today, I asked if I can give them the $9 thermometer for store credit, and they sell the exact same one for $12..but yet she only gave me a little under $5 for store credit. is that normal? lol. I feel like they are over priced but maybe not
For a thermometer get an old mercury one off of ebay. I have had mine before Ebay way even a thought, lol.
I get credit from one lfs and trade/sell frags. All 3 in my town are pretty decent in price and knowledge.
One thing thats funny at least to me and not the lfs. I was short a bag of sand for a fuge and Sunday all lfs are closed. So I went to Petco and the 20lb bag of live sand was $29.99. Lfs sells them for $25.
So I pulled up Petco website and they have the same bag for $11.99 and they honor it at the store. Not many people know this.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a thermometer get an old mercury one off of ebay. I have had mine before Ebay way even a thought, lol.
I get credit from one lfs and trade/sell frags. All 3 in my town are pretty decent in price and knowledge.
One thing thats funny at least to me and not the lfs. I was short a bag of sand for a fuge and Sunday all lfs are closed. So I went to Petco and the 20lb bag of live sand was $29.99. Lfs sells them for $25.
So I pulled up Petco website and they have the same bag for $11.99 and they honor it at the store. Not many people know this.
Holy crap I didn’t know that lol. So petco price matches other stores? Or is it just that they’ll honor the online price for petco(dot)com?

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap I didn’t know that lol. So petco price matches other stores? Or is it just that they’ll honor the online price for petco(dot)com?
Online Petco prices. Everytime I go to the register the lady just calls the manager for the override.
Works on cat and dog food or anything Petco sells really.
Just check online before you get to the register.
$17 chemipure elite at lfs $6.99.
Lots of good prices.
You just have them check or pay retail, lol.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back