Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're that expensive because it takes specially trained divers with very expensive equipment to get them. The Peppermint Angle lives at around 300 to 400 feet. Typical scuba won't get it done.

Putting one in a tank is essentially a death sentence too. They don't live very long in 2 to 3 feet of water.
I know, that's why I highly doubt that online fish store would have them available all those years ago, and while I agree that they are very complicated to maintain, they are not so much a death sentence, who buys a fish like those know they need a system with specific features and attention to detail that must be unique to the particular fish, I don't know the Peppermint angel kill rate, but there are many that have been successfully maintained for several years.

Nutramar Foods

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…I don't know the Peppermint angel kill rate, but there are many that have been successfully maintained for several years.
Do you have any info on that?
I’ve heard of one (formerly) at Waikiki aquarium and maybe one in Japan (?), but where are the others?

LaloJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any info on that?
I’ve heard of one (formerly) at Waikiki aquarium and maybe one in Japan (?), but where are the others?
The term 'many' may not have been appropriate because they have only been available on a handful of occasions. Perhaps you are referring to the particular specimen Mr.Urakami has in Japan, that fish is on the cover of the book 'Angelfishes of the world' ', by Kiyoshi endoh, a book that came out several years ago, maybe 2007 or 2008. Someone mentioned on the net that this fish was collected in the 90's but I'm not sure about that, and it was moved a few months ago. I know that Sandler kept a partner for a while, and one of them passed away; Chingchai had one for years, and then it was sold, I have no idea who. Whenever I look at videos of BH I see one available, or I have no idea if it's the same fish or the same fish over the years. Again, these fish have been available on a handful of occasions, when there was a batch of them several years ago, most went to tanks of aquarists in Asia who prefer to keep private.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Leko

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices are insane. I'm questioning my choice to get back in the hobby.

You could buy a huma trigger ( or Red Tooth) for 12.00-30.00 - sometimes you'd see offers for a "free" yellow tang as part of a bundle purchase. I bought a 4-5" Goldrim a few years ago in for 45.00 ( a good deal even then). They want 200.00 at some retailers.

A tang gang worth 600.00?! Then quarantined...And we all know losses are a fact in this hobby. At what point does it go from being a hobby to being a worry? I have to think.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back