The perfect 100g stocking list

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrasses are the best fish for reef tanks. you could have a nice collection of flashers, fairies and other peaceful smaller wrasses.
that would be my suggestion.

tangs are nice and all but more smaller fish vs a few larger ones look better IMHO
+ you limited on the tangs you can house long term in the tank.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what tangs would you suggest
Yellow or Tomini are good choices. In terms of choosing utilitarian types, the White Tail BT Tang likes film and hair algae, the Yellow likes Bubble and Velonia Algae and the Tomini likes film algae. So if you want two tangs that attack different kinds of algae, it's the Yellow Tang and either the Tomini OR the White Tail BT Tang.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it’s either/or for White Tail and Tomini. I don’t believe they are compatible with each other.

If you want a bigger fish that also eats algae, I’d consider a Foxface. I have a One Spot Foxface and a White Tail. White Tail was already in the tank when I added the Foxface. At first, the Tang went after the FF - that lasted about a day - FF flashed the dorsal a few times and that put an end to that. Now they are buds, the FF follows the Tang everywhere, which is funny as the FF is bigger than the Tang now.

FF are cool, they ad a pop of yellow and don’t bother other fish. They are good at eating algae - supposed to be good for bubble algae too.

Last piece of advice on the Tang - make him the last fish you add to try to avoid territorial aggression.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of wild percs or captive Picasso
Biota yellow tang
Flame angel
Blue star leopard wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Yellow head jawfish
Pictus blenny
Copperband butterfly
Candy basslet/peppermint basslet
Springer damsel

This isn’t my exact dream list as I like black and white and odd fish but slightly adjusted for the average boring reefer :p

My yellow tang eats so much algae, even bryopsis, my blenny is good cuc as well.

If you like tangs then you should invest in a 6 foot 200g min.

In my 4 foot 80g I had an yellow tang and a copperband for my larger fish.

Last edited:

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of wild percs or captive Picasso
Biota yellow tang
Flame angel
Blue star leopard wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Yellow head jawfish
Pictus blenny
Copperband butterfly
Candy basslet/peppermint basslet
Springer damsel

This isn’t my exact dream list as I like black and white and odd fish but slightly adjusted for the average boring reefer :p

My yellow tang eats so much algae, even bryopsis, my blenny is good cuc as well.

If you like tangs then you should invest in a 6 foot 200g min.

In my 4 foot 80g I had an yellow tang and a copperband for my larger fish.
not to hijackthe thread but did you get your YT from Biota? how big was it when it came in. my understanding is there about 1-1.5" and pretty pale but will grow into there full color over time?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tomini, a yellow, a blue, and a sailfin in that tank, but the yellow brought in ich because I did an observational quarantine for him instead of dosing copper (very dumb of me). If I did the proper quarantine guidelines and I have my UV running, wouldn't i not worry about ich?
Sailfin is way to big for that tank. Ive got a 7 inch one. Was six when I got him months ago. Blue tang is also too big for the tank

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back