+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Frag Pics

Duncan and Daisy Polyps opened right up. Neon Crown Leather is unhappy and has not extended polyps.

6546DD6C-682F-4942-A7D3-7C552717842F.jpeg

45014692-3C59-4A1E-99C2-C6A20926DB5A.jpeg

A8A1C1D8-BE7E-4A10-8EDB-F48DAAB12CEF.jpeg
0E81F931-E75F-4E52-B8E2-F57A9C2D7D1E.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NCsalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Blackcap passed away. I knew yesterday the end was near.

I also learned today that a Possum wrasses can become aggressive as they age. I believe he was going after the Blackcap as it became weaker.

The crown leather is still not opening. Checked my PH and it was low. Buffered it to see if that helps. Other corals look great.

wdwilson9

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Blackcap passed away. I knew yesterday the end was near.

I also learned today that a Possum wrasses can become aggressive as they age. I believe he was going after the Blackcap as it became weaker.

The crown leather is still not opening. Checked my PH and it was low. Buffered it to see if that helps. Other corals look great.
Unlucky with the Blackcap. I am following along as I have a similar setup.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
N

NCsalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. Honestly I’ve been holding off because I had another mishap. A mishap playing with taboo actually. Embarrassed and sad after closely timed losses. I think its important to document failures and successes though.

The most important lesson I think that has come about is that no matter what the overall accepted personality of a species of fish is among the hobby, each fish is an individual and may be the exact opposite of norms.

Case in point my demon possum wrasse. A killer, a fighter, a domineering cute little ****.

Added a beautiful, healthy, expensively quarantined baby 2 inch spotted yellow eye kole tang. (The taboo).

IMG_2954.jpeg

The possum wrasse went for him as soon as he went in the big cave after acclimation. The Tang didn’t back down and seemed to use his tail move to tame the wrasse. It backed off and it seemed they were becoming buddies after the first two days.

However I watched the wrasse in the back corner watching his reflection and practicing the tang tail slice spin move. I am serious. He had never done that before.

Tang was finished with quarantine on a Wednesday. He went in things calmed down. He ate mysis, tdo pellets, and nori from a clip. The possum wrasse followed him all around more like a puppy than aggressor. Pretty sure he got it at night in the moon lights though.

IMG_2959.jpeg

Saturday all was well. Sunday there was a dead tang with tattered fins in the corner of the tank.

This was the beginning of the month. So I have taken a break to calm down and figure out if this really was the spawn of satan in my tank.

I could have just not mentioned this incident but this is part of this tanks journey.

I will be doing another update very soon to show how i know without a doubt I have one of the meanest possum wrasses I’ve ever heard of.

Stay tuned.

19Mateo83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im in the process of upgrading to a 50g tank. Basically your tank but a few inches taller. If you ever make it to Charlotte I can recommend Queen City Corals and TRSC aquatics. Both have a huge selection of super high quality coral. QCC usually has trochus snails also. There’s also Nemo’s reef and The Fish Room, they both have quality livestock along with a decent selection of coral.

OP
OP
N

NCsalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The possum wrasse is a bully.

The Plan
A Stocking attempt to compete with this bully attitude and reduce it enough to have a reef fish community.
Attempt to disperse the aggression with numbers.
Add fish that are hardy and defensive.

The crew:

Springeri Dottyback

IMG_3018.jpeg

Striped Fang Blenny

IMG_3011.jpeg

Harptail Fang Blenny

IMG_3014.jpeg

These fish are awesome.

They have handled the possum wrasse well, but his aggression has been apparent with everyone.

Springeri takes the brunt as he is in the same general area as the wrasse, but the wrasse challenges the blennys and they don’t care for it. Sand dive bombs from them.

Hopefully the wrasse settles. He turns a very deep rust color when being aggressive. His spots basically disappear he becomes so dark.

Everyone:

IMG_3019.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

Its day 5. Everyone is eating well. The Wrasse is always seeking attention.

Last edited:
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back