Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started a Macro Algae tank that has 2 mangroves in it, of course they cam from Algae Barn!

Anyway, The tank has been running for a few month and I was wondering if anybody has had huge amounts of growth or very slow growth with mangroves??

When I got mine they had small roots on them and had 2 leaves each.
Now they have 5 leaves on one and 4 leaves on the other. Not to mention the roots have gone insane!

Let me know what your mangrove experiences have been!?

Nutramar Foods

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do indeed start out relatively slow. But like many leave plants will take off with more leaves. I find that generous spraying with a mister of fresh water helps a lot

EB710EFB-6C66-4E94-8B1E-BC694F714ED6.jpeg

OP
OP
CalsReef2020

CalsReef2020

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do indeed start out relatively slow. But like many leave plants will take off with more leaves. I find that generous spraying with a Mr. helps.
I have found that the salt builds up on there leaves, part of my nightly routine is to give them a good spray of RO/DI water, seems to care pf the problem.

AS

Macroalgae

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have decent nutrients in the water column and bright, full spectrum light, they'll grow like crazy. Judging from your description, it sounds like you have plenty of both. :)

Mangroves are awesome at removing nutrients, but make sure their roots won't get into anything that you can't pry open. They have a way of finding there roots in pumps and deep in live rock if you're not careful.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have decent nutrients in the water column and bright, full spectrum light, they'll grow like crazy. Judging from your description, it sounds like you have plenty of both. :)

Mangroves are awesome at removing nutrients, but make sure their roots won't get into anything that you can't pry open. They have a way of finding there roots in pumps and deep in live rock if you're not careful.
I have mine in glass planters full of miracle mud - those are surrounded by rocks - works for me...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
CalsReef2020

CalsReef2020

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of grow lights can also factor. I have this grow light and I have new leaves growing almost bi-weekly but also the lamp is about 6 inches from the top of the mangroves.
My tank is under the window, haven't had problems because it is a Macro tank, but I may look at getting a grow light.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once ordered 20 and received 100+ red mangrove propagules. I added about 40 to the sump of my 380 gallon. They grew SO fast. I gave away mangroves for weeks. I had mangroves growing with my turtles, mangroves in my freshwater tanks, and mangroves in the reef.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of buying some mangroves to live in my sump. The "refugium" side of the sump is currently empty of algae - just rock rubble in the bottom. My plan would be to put the mangroves in that section and lit by an AI refugium light.

Would I need to plant the mangroves in containers with miracle mud, as I see most people do, or will they root into the rubble?

Thanks!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tunze
Back