+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shot.
The variety of coral in your cube must be close to 4 times higher than mine. ;Drool;Drool;Drool
Very nice.
Thanks, but it's the quantity of bubble algae that keeps me up at night!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Craigb350

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So power outage issues...

Yesterday around 4pm I heard a really loud buzzing/electrical sound outside, then my power went off. Nothing increases anxiety like the sound of all my pumps, lights, skimmer, and ATO alarm going off... Then it flickers back on. Okay, power surge. Sucks, but it happens. So I getup to reset the apex and BZZZZZT, power out again... This went on for hours. They are working on the block over, but apparently it must have caused some type of damage in my neighborhood, as they are now working on my street.

So while I was out today, I come home to be told "Oh, the power has been going on and off the last few hours"... Turns out my family didn't want to scare me, it had been going on and off all day -_-

Reached out to an electrician friend of mine -- He's got a 250g running 3x 250w MH, and 4 96w T5's, multiple big tunzes, gyres, blah blah. He built his own battery backup that can run his entire system minus the halides for 2-3 days straight. Looks like that's my next investment. I have corals worth more than my car right now, I can't afford to lose a gem because Edison screwed the pooch.

I have had a few this year already, I run a UPS but they only have short shelf life with the batteries, but I and going to modify mine to take a car battery which is more used to the cycle of a UPS,

On the other hand i am going to eventually get a generator, but these are only any good if your at home at the time!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standby generator is the only way to go ;)
I need something that turns on automatically with no work on my end. A battery always charged and backing up a pump means I don't have to worry. I can be gone, or asleep, and I won't come home/wake up to disaster.

Generators need to be drug out, pllugged in, turned on, etc etc.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need something that turns on automatically with no work on my end. A battery always charged and backing up a pump means I don't have to worry. I can be gone, or asleep, and I won't come home/wake up to disaster.

I’ve always thought about running a deep cycle as a back up. I haven’t gotten around to doing it but after the past 2 hurricane seasons it’s on the top of my list this summer. It should run a full tank minus lights for a few days

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah they already took over. This is the 3rd time i've tried to kill Bubble Algae, and the 3rd time I've gotten dinos from it.

@UWC -- Not sure why I'm prone to this, but every algae elimination med causes dinos for me. not a single thing I've tried HASN'T ended with the destruction of $500+ sps. Very unfortunate, this was the last item I was going to try before giving up on any meds for bubble algae.
:(

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's okay, so far nothing is harmed and dinos are thinning out. Dr Tims and a little light carbon dosing nightly knock dinos out of the park.
Happy to hear. Keep calm and reef on!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Standby generator comes on when power goes out automatically. Takes 10 seconds and whole house is back up and running. No dragging out, fueling up, plugging in, all done automatically. When power comes back on, it shuts off. Runs on the same propane the house uses.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Fudsey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gen1.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standby generator comes on when power goes out automatically. Takes 10 seconds and whole house is back up and running. No dragging out, fueling up, plugging in, all done automatically. When power comes back on, it shuts off. Runs on the same propane the house uses.

Oh, one of those ones! I was thinking of the basic ones that are fuel driven.

Fudsey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, one of those ones! I was thinking of the basic ones that are fuel driven.
Did that for many years and hated it. This is a god send ;)

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on someone's anecdotal experience I tried something different.. to cut off the dinos I've done a 20g wc with a friends tank water. The idea is bacteria out compete the dinos and blah blah blah.

So let's see what happens!

Fudsey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you read Jason Macks thread but he was having a big issue with dinos and has been for a while. He recently added a UV sterilizer and that finally did the trick for him. Wiped them out fast.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim’s didn’t do it ? I’ve been thinking about using the Re Fresh to combat a little cyano...
It did the trick last time, maybe this time it's not enough. Although I used refresh last time too.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you read Jason Macks thread but he was having a big issue with dinos and has been for a while. He recently added a UV sterilizer and that finally did the trick for him. Wiped them out fast.
UV is hit and miss, and a good UV starts at like $300+ so I'm very apprehensive. A buddy if mine nuked his whole tank with a cheap UV from jebao. It melted in his tank and was dosing melted plastic.

So I'm ways nervous of uvs that aren't crazy expensive

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV is hit and miss, and a good UV starts at like $300+ so I'm very apprehensive. A buddy if mine nuked his whole tank with a cheap UV from jebao. It melted in his tank and was dosing melted plastic.

So I'm ways nervous of uvs that aren't crazy expensive

Ive heard good and bad with uv filters. I used Dino x and just tried to wait it out when I had them. It’s a rough battle but If you are persistent they will eventually go away

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard good and bad with us. I used Dino x and just tried to wait it out when I had them. It’s a rough battle but If you are persistent they will eventually go away
This is my 3rd or 4th time with dinos. I will never again try any algaecide, it was the singular cause every single time. Each time I've lost thousands in high end SPS.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update!

Bubble Algae Still dying off, and disconnecting. Which is good! I'm very happy it's getting thinned out, at this point, it may be beneficial to throw in a crab or two and see how things go...

Dinos My patented "throw everything at it" method has been working.

- Manual removal (which is borderline useless, but helps the corals not get stung to death)
- Dr Tim's Waste Away
- Dr Tim's ReFresh
- Nightly carbon dosing (for the bacterias to out compete dinos)
- Seachem Metroplex (Worked well for me on dinos)

This combination has the dinos already disappearing. I won't tempt fate and rely on this too many times though... It's like an antibacterial, I don't want them to get immune or I'm F'd in the A.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back