Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a ozone generator to get the yellow out of my water. Activated carbon won't do the job long term and my macro algae don't like the carbon.

As i read the rule, 10mg per 100l, 10mg 25gal, and i am running a 330gal System, i would need 130mg.
But here is the problem, i got the deltec 3000i skimmer, which can handle ozone, but only 50mg/h Max. As writen in the manual.

So i am going to get a 50mg.
Since i planned to not run an orp sensor, because electronics can fail, what whould happen if the generator gets a fail and is dosing 50mg/h over maybe 8h (want to let it run only 8h a day with a clock) are all my fish then instant death? Or is 50mg at 330gal not enough to get the redox higher than 350mV in this time?
I want to run it at 50% so 25mg, the 50mg is as an example for a fail in the generator.

In short: will 25mg/h in 330gal System for 8h on be dangerous for my fish?
I am going to adjust the generator with the smell test before of course.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a ozone generator to get the yellow out of my water. Activated carbon won't do the job long term and my macro algae don't like the carbon.

As i read the rule, 10mg per 100l, 10mg 25gal, and i am running a 330gal System, i would need 130mg.
But here is the problem, i got the deltec 3000i skimmer, which can handle ozone, but only 50mg/h Max. As writen in the manual.

Since i planned to not run an orp sensor, because electronics can fail, what whould happen if the generator gets a fail and is dosing 50mg/h over maybe 8h (want to let it run only 8h a day with a clock) are all my fish then instant death? Or is 50mg at 330gal not enough to get the redox higher than 350mV in this time?
I want to run it at 50% so 25mg, the 50mg is as an example for a fail in the generator.

I cannot answer your question but interested in your observations about activated carbon. GAC is a standard, simple and inexpensive.method to decolorize water. Why not use it?

What macro algae does not like GAC? What are you observing that leads you to this conclusion?

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot answer your question but interested in your observations about activated carbon. GAC is a standard, simple and inexpensive.method to decolorize water. Why not use it?

What macro algae does not like GAC? What are you observing that leads you to this conclusion?
I have to put alot carbon in for water clarity. I think the carbon is absorbing much of the trace elements. When i put carbon in, the next day i see the caulerpas starting to get pale, next day it starts to die of. Other macros start to Page at the second day, and third day no grow, and then slowly start to die off.
If i remove the carbon, redest iron, iodine and trace elements, the die off stops and they start to heal and grow again after a few days.

Activated Carbon may work on corals only tanks, because the need less nutritions. I have macroalgae only and my po4 need to be redosed twice a day back to 0,05mg and it is a predatory fish tank. So macros consume alot of Nutritions. So if the trace elements drop, so do the macros. Missing iron is always leading to macros getting pale.

That are my thoughts.
Didn't had a Problem like this with carbon in my fresh and brackish Systems.

Nutramar Foods

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like or use carbon for the reasons you stated. As for ozone I run 50 MG in my 125 gallon reef for the last 3 years but for the first 45 years I ran 100MG for 100 gallons in my skimmer with no controller or carbon and no problems.
My 100 MG Ozonator croaked but I want to get another one that size.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a cheapskate.

I bought a swimming pool/spa O3 generator off ebay which according to the specs generates 250mg/h.
I think it is probably over rated.

It is connected after the CO2 scrubber, and plumbed into the skimmer.

To be honest, if I can smell it, it is probably dialled up too high so I back it off.
It is connected to an ORP sensor which shuts down power if it goes over 400.

Neither my fish or my wife have grown wings yet.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like or use carbon for the reasons you stated. As for ozone I run 50 MG in my 125 gallon reef for the last 3 years but for the first 45 years I ran 100MG for 100 gallons in my skimmer with no controller or carbon and no problems.
My 100 MG Ozonator croaked but I want to get another one that size.
So you dialed it in via. Sniff test and then let it run for how long?
I also believe if i can't smell the ozone, there can't be any so it got fully used up in the skimmer. Afterwards i am pumping it with the return pump trough my 72W UVC, so there is probably no chance for ozone to get in the tank where the fish life.
But now i am unsere by hearing you guys, if 50mg are enough for 330gal. I see 100mg is like the Standart?
If the 50mg would be enough i would stay with 50mg, so i don't lose the guarantee and support for my skimmer.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a cheapskate.

I bought a swimming pool/spa O3 generator off ebay which according to the specs generates 250mg/h.
I think it is probably over rated.

It is connected after the CO2 scrubber, and plumbed into the skimmer.

To be honest, if I can smell it, it is probably dialled up too high so I back it off.
It is connected to an ORP sensor which shuts down power if it goes over 400.

Neither my fish or my wife have grown wings yet.
You are using a sensor. I want to use it without. Only with a timer a few hours a day.
I will tune it so i won't smell ozone. The question is if it could reach deadly doses for fish with 50mg over 8hours. Forgot to mention that after the skimmer and the returnpump, there is a 72W UVC.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using a sensor. I want to use it without. Only with a timer a few hours a day.
I will tune it so i won't smell ozone. The question is if it could reach deadly doses for fish with 50mg over 8hours. Forgot to mention that after the skimmer and the returnpump, there is a 72W UVC.
I'm using UV in the return line.

I think the chances of you overdosing and killing anything are pretty much zero with a 50mg/h even if you went nuts and ran it 24 hours a day.

If you can smell it back it off.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using UV in the return line.

I think the chances of you overdosing and killing anything are pretty much zero with a 50mg/h even if you went nuts and ran it 24 hours a day.

If you can smell it back it off.
is a 50mg enough for clarity on 330gal? i understood that the clearer the water gets, the higher the redox gets, which leads to less needed ozone to maintain the level. i have time, so if the 50mg will work but take some days to clear the water i am fine with that.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you dialed it in via. Sniff test and then let it run for how long?
No, I don't dial it in. I always run them full blast and never smell ozone. But my skimmer is 5' tall. :)
I run it 24/7 and have for many years.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ORP probe is cheap if you already have a controller capable of adding one.

Sure, you can go willy nilly and add an ozone without testing what it is doing to your water if you want. You can also randomly add "just enough" alkalinity daily and hope things never go wrong. I personally like my chances more if I understand what I am doing and the result of that action.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ORP probe is cheap if you already have a controller capable of adding one.

Sure, you can go willy nilly and add an ozone without testing what it is doing to your water if you want. You can also randomly add "just enough" alkalinity daily and hope things never go wrong. I personally like my chances more if I understand what I am doing and the result of that action.
I don't have a controller now, and i am not sure if i want to add one.
I am testing my water with 2-3 different test even a photometer, and guess what, 3 different results and something like this drives me crazy but i can't just only test with 1 test, because it could be wrong, so i test with another and another. Thats how i am.
So if a get a device which shows me any type of results, in my mind it could be wrong, so i will get another one, and another one and maybe 1 as a Backup and probably 4 different calibration fluids. So i would be happy if i just could physicaly just limit it that it can't be to much. You can't fit 2gal in a 1gal Container, its limited. Maybe the ozonegenerator then isn't 100% effective without a probe, but i wouldn't care.

AquaCave Logo Banner

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ozone can degrade plastic. That is why I use a wooden air stone in my sump. I use a 1000mg/h for 5 minutes a week, I need to open the doors and windows to ventilate and vacate the house until the odors dissipates. I also use this to eliminate odors in my vehicles.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ozone can degrade plastic. That is why I use a wooden air stone in my sump. I use a 1000mg/h for 5 minutes a week, I need to open the doors and windows to ventilate and vacate the house until the odors dissipates. I also use this to eliminate odors in my vehicles.
Maybe such high dosage wouldn't be that great for my acrylic tank then

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ozone can degrade plastic.
Not all plastic. Nylon, PVC and acrylic are not affected as my skimmer is made out of those things and Ozone has been running through there for decades. Vinyl hose and rubber will turn to toast.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all plastic. Nylon, PVC and acrylic are not affected as my skimmer is made out of those things and Ozone has been running through there for decades. Vinyl hose and rubber will turn to toast.
What is woth the PVC Tank connections? There are Rubber seals

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe such high dosage wouldn't be that great for my acrylic tank then
I think acrylic is stronger than plastic and can handle ozone, check with a professional to get more information.
Maybe that is why they use a silicone hose or tubing on most units.

BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

First Choice
Back