Test kits

Bax71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I’m looking at getting test kits . I know the Hanna kits is the one to get. But don’t have the money for them . What would be the next best test kit to get. Or good kit to get that done break the bank . why I save money up to get the Hanna kits . What is the one that would work on a mix reef ? Im working on setting up the tank now slow but getting there making sure I get everything I need before starting the tank. Thanks in advance everyone

OP
OP
Bax71

Bax71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion on that one is there any other out there that would compete

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Salifert is fine for calcium, alk and nitrates. I understand Red Sea is comparable.

The color tests for phosphates, IMO, range from bad to very bad, the Hanna checker is much easier for this one.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Salifert for years and it was a good product. I'm shying away from it now with my next build with Hanna for NO3, PO4 and ALK with Red Sea Pro for Ca and Aquaforest Pro for Mg.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get lots of suggestions to this questions, but I think most reefers advise to stay away from the API and RedSea brand kits, in general.

For budget testing AND easy to use and read, it's hard to beat Salifert. At my best 30+ ago, I have never been good with the typical color match tests, and now my eyesight is bad enough that I don't trust myself to interpret these kinds of color match tests. The Saliferts are a titration test, that is very easy to use and interpret. I know their nitrate and phosphate tests are really popular here at R2R.

I think Nyos has a well liked nitrate kit.

I do like the Hanna Checkers. I see there absolutely all the time for sale on the use gear forum here, typically at like $40 each. Lots of times you can find a group of like three for $100. I'd suggest getting going with the Saliferts, and watching for a used Hanna if they appeal to you.

Good luck!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for something of a *one-stop* solution that's much more affordable that the comparable Hanna Checkers, this is an ideal bundle, in my opinion. If you're on a tighter budget, each of these kits is available separately. Depending on where you are in your tank build, some test kits are more of a priority than others.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/s...iQPjb_d_adLV9y7TTaBxGMAbQKfpk5lxoC050QAvD_BwE

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iuho man, i have a hanna alk egg, works great, but the cost difference between that and salifert for daily alk tests when you are trying to get it to stabilize makes it much easier to use salifert, budgetarily. I do see the use of the phos egg. I am pretty good with color charts and i still struggle hard with every color based phos test ive ever used. But, even then all i test for with phos is that it is more than 0 and less than sky high. Salifert will cover all your bases plenty well and on a budget. If you get down the road 2 years from now and find you want a couple checkers, full send, get em. But for beginning and the first year or two i personally think that salifert is your huckleberry, especially where you are testing more frequently too...

BrianneG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coming here to say watch the drygood for sale forums here. I was worried about the cost of the Hanna testers myself. I watched the for sale forums and found 6 of them for about 1/2 the price. Most of them brand new. Then I found the copper tester from someone else. And then shopped on Hanna's site for some regents and they were having a sale and purchased my last one with that sale.
Just look a little patience and looking at the new drygoods sales posts daily. But you can get great deals.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back