Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently reconditioned a tank for a new project I'm working on. And after a good cleaning, I realized that the silicon seal was looking deteriorated. So I made resealing part of the reconditioning. I've included photos below. Have a look...

This is the tank that I started with. Bulkheads have been removed so that I can rest it on the table top.
IMG_9624.jpeg
IMG_9625.jpeg

As you can see, the silicon is peeling and frayed, warranting the reseal.
IMG_9626.jpeg

Another shot of the tank I started with.
IMG_9627.jpeg

I begin by using a paint scraper. Gently insert the scraper up under the plastic under the end nearest to you and using steady, even pressure, slide it down the entire length of the tank. Repeat for all four sides.
IMG_9628.jpeg

Stacked blocks on a towel make a good leverage point. This should be done GENTLY and NOT RUSHED. As you gently apply pressure in the corner, you should hear the silicon tearing as the strip separates from the tank. If you are not hearing the ripping of silicon, gently maintain pressure while working the corners with the scraper.
IMG_9629.jpeg

This is a picture of the first corner free. Once you get that first corner up, place a shim in that spot to maintain your progress as you begin moving around the perimeter of the tank.
IMG_9630.jpeg

Eventually, you will have the entire strip off.
IMG_9631.jpeg

Probably the most important aspect of this project is getting all the old silicon off and getting the surface clean for new silicon.
IMG_9633.jpeg
IMG_9634.jpeg
IMG_9635.jpeg
IMG_9636.jpeg

This is the tank after removing the heavy silicon and a cleanup. Cleanup between steps is important because it allows you to see where you may have missed old silicon.
IMG_9646.jpeg

This is a closeup of one corner. Most of the silicon is off, but there is still a haze that needs to be removed. Wet it down and use a fresh razor for this part.
IMG_9650.jpeg
IMG_9651.jpeg

This is a closeup of a corner. Notice the glass is completely clean; no haze at all. Its ready for silicon.
IMG_9652.jpeg

And this is the same corner with a fresh bead of silicon.
IMG_9653.jpeg

This is the tank with the top frame reinstalled. I've inverted the tank, using its own weight to deliver even pressure throughout the entire strip.
IMG_9648.jpeg

And finally, the water test. Place paper towels down and then place the freshly reseal tank on top, then fill with water. The paper towels will allow you to see any drips.
IMG_9660.jpeg
IMG_9661.jpeg
IMG_9662.jpeg
IMG_9632.jpeg IMG_9654.jpeg

World Wide Corals
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd the water test go?

Yes, I should have updates. Sorry.

The leak test went perfectly. I allowed the tank to hold water for two days. There wasn't a drip; the paper towels were completely dry.

How are you making out with your tank?

Srfnhooker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I should have updates. Sorry.

The leak test went perfectly. I allowed the tank to hold water for two days. There wasn't a drip; the paper towels were completely dry.

How are you making out with your tank?
That's great.

Thanks for asking. Mine is slow going. Have be pondering how to deal with my cracked center brace. I'm just going to remove it and get some glass cut this week and euro brace it and water test for a couple weeks.

Last weekend I picked up an established 55 from a fam friend. $0. Not going to use the tank, maybe a freshwater later, I just wanted the 40 lbs of fiji live rock . It's in buckets curing at the moment while I finish my DT. Missed getting the fish by 8hrs. He took em back to store.

Also picked up up another 30 or 40 lbs of, which looks like carribean rock, from a tank that hasn't been set up for yrs. $0. It's in a bleach cure for a week outside.
Ill put the Fiji on one side and the carribean on the other and fill in with dry rock. Still up in the air.

Sorry this is so long and didn't mean to hijack. I'm going to start a build thread today and post all info there.

Attachments

• 20230226_085500.jpg
    20230226_085500.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230226_085331.jpg
    20230226_085331.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 14
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great.

Thanks for asking. Mine is slow going. Have be pondering how to deal with my cracked center brace. I'm just going to remove it and get some glass cut this week and euro brace it and water test for a couple weeks.

Last weekend I picked up an established 55 from a fam friend. $0. Not going to use the tank, maybe a freshwater later, I just wanted the 40 lbs of fiji live rock . It's in buckets curing at the moment while I finish my DT. Missed getting the fish by 8hrs. He took em back to store.

Also picked up up another 30 or 40 lbs of, which looks like carribean rock, from a tank that hasn't been set up for yrs. $0. It's in a bleach cure for a week outside.
Ill put the Fiji on one side and the carribean on the other and fill in with dry rock. Still up in the air.

Sorry this is so long and didn't mean to hijack. I'm going to start a build thread today and post all info there.

Slow going is okay. Remember, "nothing good happens fast in this hobby". Have you considered using the plastic brace and ADDING a euro brace at the center to supplement the damaged brace?

You can use that 55 as a quarantine tank. Nice score on the live rock; you got it at a good price. ;)

I don't know if you are aware, but it is essential that you cycle dry rock. The organics in the rock will fuel a massive algae bloom if you don't.

No apologies necessary. It's just the natural flow of conversation.

Srfnhooker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow going is okay. Remember, "nothing good happens fast in this hobby". Have you considered using the plastic brace and ADDING a euro brace at the center to supplement the damaged brace?

You can use that 55 as a quarantine tank. Nice score on the live rock; you got it at a good price. ;)

I don't know if you are aware, but it is essential that you cycle dry rock. The organics in the rock will fuel a massive algae bloom if you don't.

No apologies necessary. It's just the natural flow of conversation.
The brace has not only the crack in center brace but other minor cracks in a couple other places, just not all the way thru. Plus the whole top looks pretty bad.

Yeah. The rock kinda fell into my lap.
I'll cure the dry rock as well. I am planning on ordering it this week and when it arrives I'm planning on putting in a piece of the live I have curing now in order to transfer/grow some of that bacteria to the dry if that's advisable.

I thought about the 55 as a qt but it's pretty tall. I do have 2 40g breeders, one for sump and I could use the other as a qt.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back