Tank Build...finally getting around to it!

WestCoastReefNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have things up and kinda running, thought I'd finally drop my build thread. Will do this in chunks

So, this journey began back in November of 2023...finally making the decision to start a saltwater reef tank and start researching.
I decided on an Innovative Marine Nuvo SR80 AIO as good starting point for this new hobby of mine...the plan originally started as a 40, then an SR60, and finally the 80...and almost became an SR120.

Found tons of information on the internet and YouTube, thanks to all those that do that work so the rest of us can benefit. Kind of wish I had that spark.

I quickly realized I would need to set up a RO/DI + Saltwater mixing station. As an engineer, this is like being a kid in a candy store...the chemistry, the mechanical bits, the designing and building...went full nerd-out! :)

Step 1: build a stand and RO/DI station. Step 2: Once it's being built, tell the wife what's happening (btw, she's a saint, a real trooper!)
1719342281538.jpeg
1719342340632.jpeg
1719342400553.jpeg
1719342431378.jpeg
1719343846549.jpeg

System tested, 0 TDS verified!

Next up: The Aquascape Begins, and the Tank Arrives

OP
OP
WestCoastReefNoob

WestCoastReefNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chapter 2: Aquascape.

Egad, how long has it been?? Life and reefing certainly got in the way of updating my build thread. I've been taking notes along the way, finally getting around to updating.

So, the Aquascape build. Not much to mention for this, I guess. I knew this was going to take me some time, so I started things early. Used some tips and tricks from Ryan and the crew at Bulk Reef Supply, which made things go very smooth...well, for the most part, but that was on me and part of the learning curve (wear gloves people, please wear gloves...even if it’s just to get that last little thing glued down…).

I set up a template made of 1/2-inch pipe on my worktable, taped off to visualize rule-of-thirds and maximum rock height, approximately 2/3 up the tank. Trying to follow the “rule-of-thirds” on an IM Nuvo SR shallow reef tank (16”h x 19”d display) was a bit challenging.

1729539227723.png

I went with Marco Rock’s coralline-colored rock to avoid the bleach-white look while waiting for the real coralline algae to develop. Bought a LOT of rock. Used a bunch of rock. Still have a bunch of rock for a future tank. Fairly beefy ‘scape, I think, but I like how it eventually turned out after two months of building, tearing down, and building up again.
1729539406570.png

One of the things I like about Marco Rocks is the cool little surprises you sometimes find imbedded in the rock. I incorporated these as much as possible, though knowing they’ll disappear under the corals eventually.
1729539571216.png

Primary goal was to create a good habitat for fish, corals, and inverts, aesthetics were secondary…but I think it turned out ok. It's difficult to tell from the picture below, but there are several sheltered, cave areas and good run space in front/back for fish to hit terminal speed.
1729540033304.png

(My small Square-tail Bristletooth Tang is taking full advantage, so I guess it worked)

I used a combination of BRS extra thick super glue and spray accelerator, D+D coralline epoxy sticks to bind everything together. I also used Marco Rock coralline mortar, and small fragments of leftover rock to mask all the joints, hide the superglue. The rockscape was built as four separate sections for ease of cleaning and getting them into the tank. I went back and glued everything together after I had everything where I wanted it, avoiding any potential rock slides.

With the rock in place, I then added the sand. Quite a bit of sand, in fact. Approximately 3 inches at the back, sloping down to approximately 2 inches at the front. I wanted to have more than enough sand bed to support things like Gobies, Conchs, and Nassarius snails. Sand gets everywhere.
Final results will be shown in Chapter 3: The Tank

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back