+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, I posted right as you sent this, I rushed to the LFS to get an air pump and 2 air stones, rushed home and threw them in the tank. Goby is not looking great. He is still alive, but was upside down and hardly moving. Such a huge discouragement for the hobby :(
I put the 2 airstones in the tank, one right near where the goby usually is, and one in the middle of the tank. Im throwing out the vibrant. Whether or not it was the cause I cant be positive and I wont risk this again. The air stones are in the tank, clowns look fine. I did notice that I cannot find my cleaner shrimp nor the 2 emerald crabs. The crabs dont worry me because they always hide, but the shrimp is ALWAYS visible. I have no idea where he is. I asked my wife to do a 10 gallon water change while I was getting the air pump and heading home, just to get some temporary relief in the tank, and she is inexperienced in it and I think she put water hose in the tank too close to the sand bed, because when I got home the water was pretty cloudy with sand, so I couldnt see that well anyway, plus the addition of the 2 airstones, the entire tank was way too difficult to see anything, so I dont know if the shrimp was just hiding or if its in trouble either. The clowns were still swimming, although they were just huddles near the corner which is a little unusual for them. They are usually right up to the glass looking at me, however they have never been in a tank with the air pump before so they may have just been nervous about that? I just have no idea what to think or do right now. Im so nervous and anxious about my poor fish :/
You said water hose in the tank- Are you using RODI WATER OR tap water from the faucet?

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes I know, you said mine was too low, so to get it higher, I had to make the water I add to it higher, to bring the display tank from 30 up closer to 35. The water I used for the water change was 40, so that it would increase the display tank's salinity
You can drop salinity quickly but raise it gradually which may explain the clown death - osmotic shock

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said water hose in the tank- Are you using RODI WATER OR tap water from the faucet?
RODI, I have a brute trash can full of salt water for water changes, and a pump to put in that trash can, and send water to the tank.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drop salinity quickly but raise it gradually which may explain the clown death - osmotic shock
No the problems were before the water change. I just said I had her change water to help give some relief. The problems were there before any salinity raises

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No the problems were before the water change. I just said I had her change water to help give some relief. The problems were there before any salinity raises
You stated earlier " I had to make the water I add to it higher, to bring the display tank from 30 up closer to 35. The water I used for the water change was 40, so that it would increase the display tank's salinity"
Did you add 40ppt to the 30ppt in the tank to equalize it to 35ppt?

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated earlier " I had to make the water I add to it higher, to bring the display tank from 30 up closer to 35. The water I used for the water change was 40, so that it would increase the display tank's salinity"
Did you add 40ppt to the 30ppt in the tank to equalize it to 35ppt?
Yes but the was in a last stitch effort to try to save my fish. The problems started before the water change. I tried to change water to help get rid of whatever the problem was while also increasing salinity since you said it was low. I'm suspecting vibrant F'd me because everything was smooth sailing until last night when I added it, and now all my fish are dead . I have 2 emerald crabs and one cleaner shrimp remaining in the tank and now I don't know what to do. I can't empty it and start over because I have the invertebrates still alive (for now)

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes but the was in a last stitch effort to try to save my fish. The problems started before the water change. I tried to change water to help get rid of whatever the problem was while also increasing salinity since you said it was low. I'm suspecting vibrant F'd me because everything was smooth sailing until last night when I added it, and now all my fish are dead . I have 2 emerald crabs and one cleaner shrimp remaining in the tank and now I don't know what to do. I can't empty it and start over because I have the invertebrates still alive (for now)
Yes- reset the tank doing a major water change and siphoning, Add liquid bacteria daily such as Micro Bacter 7 at 2ml per 10 gallons, Use reliable test kits, -
Salinity 34-35ppt(1.024-1.025)
ammonia <.025
Nitrate <15
temp 77-79
ph - 8.0-8.3

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- reset the tank doing a major water change and siphoning, Add liquid bacteria daily such as Micro Bacter 7 at 2ml per 10 gallons, Use reliable test kits, -
Salinity 34-35ppt(1.024-1.025)
ammonia <.025
Nitrate <15
temp 77-79
ph - 8.0-8.3
I ran every single test I have today. Salinity 35
Nitrate 5
Amonia jumped from 2 days ago. I suspect either vibrant or the dead fish but it's all. 25
Nitrite jumped as well. It's up but I forget what it is.
Ph is 8
Temp 79-80
I currently have seachem stability so I added that

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update ?
Nothing really to update all my fish died today while I was at work. I have 2 emerald crabs and a cleaner shrimp left. I will have to take out as much water as I can and hopefully keep the bacteria going. Wait a week of all good tests to be safe before I even think about putting more fish in it.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really to update all my fish died today while I was at work. I have 2 emerald crabs and a cleaner shrimp left. I will have to take out as much water as I can and hopefully keep the bacteria going. Wait a week of all good tests to be safe before I even think about putting more fish in it.
That is hard. I sympathize. Hang in there.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no !
sorry to hear . Why are you taking as much water out as possible ?
I’d remove the 2 fish that died and leave the system run as normal .
the longer it’s running the easier it will be later

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no !
sorry to hear . Why are you taking as much water out as possible ?
I’d remove the 2 fish that died and leave the system run as normal .
the longer it’s running the easier it will be later
I was trying to change as much as possible because it seems that the vibrant cleaner that I added is what the cause was. The fish were in there for over a month with zero problems not everything was running perfectly the water was crystal clear I had just seen on VRStv to add the vibrant before turning on lights to help neutralize any of the ugly phase. Within a few hours of adding vibrant my tang was dead and the following morning my goby was on his last breath and died later in the afternoon. As the day went on my two clowns ended up going belly up as well. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I added the vibrant because that was the only thing I had done differently the entire month of everything running well. I wanted to get all the water out to get rid of as much of that viper now before the rest of my fish died but I was too late. The goby and the two clowns ended up dying after I changed the water anyway. So now I only have my shrimp and two emerald crabs and I still have the water in there and I'm still adding bacteria and I'm trying to get the tank back to ground one with keeping all my original bacteria so that don't have to start the cycle process over or do anything about the shrimp and crabs. I'm hoping I can keep the tank going and put more fish in but now I'm extremely nervous

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back