Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a salefintang. I've had him for about a month now with absolutely no problems. Always a healthy eater always active always swimming. I just ha ofppen to be walking by the tank and noticed it laying completely still on the sandbed. I was worried so I was going to move it to a quarantine tank and as soon as I reached my hand in, because it was in a spot where I couldn't get a net, it zipped away from me. It's swim around the back a little bit and then swim right back to the place where it was laying still the first time. I had no idea what was going on so I went in to grab it again and it zipped away from me again. It swam around the back of the tank a little bit and then the second time it swam towards the same area where it was laying down but about halfway there it completely went sideways and then went right to the ground again. Every time I reach into try to get it it swims away from me but it just goes right back to the exact same spot every single time. I have no idea what is going on. Any ideas?
20230414_184143.jpg
20230414_184237.jpg
1681523234090709295811889027935.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a salefintang. I've had him for about a month now with absolutely no problems. Always a healthy eater always active always swimming. I just ha ofppen to be walking by the tank and noticed it laying completely still on the sandbed. I was worried so I was going to move it to a quarantine tank and as soon as I reached my hand in, because it was in a spot where I couldn't get a net, it zipped away from me. It's swim around the back a little bit and then swim right back to the place where it was laying still the first time. I had no idea what was going on so I went in to grab it again and it zipped away from me again. It swam around the back of the tank a little bit and then the second time it swam towards the same area where it was laying down but about halfway there it completely went sideways and then went right to the ground again. Every time I reach into try to get it it swims away from me but it just goes right back to the exact same spot every single time. I have no idea what is going on. Any ideas?View attachment 3109775View attachment 3109776 View attachment 3109778
Unfortunately to say, this fish is moribund and the looks of its position between rocks is not good.
I assume fish's breathing is labored?
Fish appears to be somewhat thin- Was it eating?

Have a net on both sides to get it netted.
Adding oxygen via air stone may perk it up, but a gamble.
What ius ammonia-salinity and nitrate level?
Is this a first fish?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately to say, this fish is moribund and the looks of its position between rocks is not good.
I assume fish's breathing is labored?
Fish appears to be somewhat thin- Was it eating?

Have a net on both sides to get it netted.
Adding oxygen via air stone may perk it up, but a gamble.
What ius ammonia-salinity and nitrate level?
Is this a first fish?
Not first fish, I have clowns a goby and emerald crab. It was this size when I bought it. I overfeed to be safe. Salinity is about 30ppt. tested amonia yesterday and it was zero. Haven't tested nitrate in a few days. What is moribund? What do I do? I don't have an air stone , I have a wave maker and my hob filter creates a lot of air bubbles

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not first fish, I have clowns a goby and emerald crab. It was this size when I bought it. I overfeed to be safe. Salinity is about 30ppt. tested amonia yesterday and it was zero. Haven't tested nitrate in a few days. What is moribund? What do I do? I don't have an air stone , I have a wave maker and my hob filter creates a lot of air bubbles
I said first fish - Is this a newer tank?
0ppt is quite low - You want 34-35ppt on salinity
Overfeeding is not safe and will raise ammonia levels. What test kit are you using ? If Api - you will often see Zero when it is not
What foods are you feeding ?
Moribund is a term similar to comatose state where a fish is weak and breathing heavy and can no longer eat and may not recover.
The bubbles from a HOB filter is not enough to increase oxygen and may be part of the issue as it is a basic mechanical unit and with heavy feedings, simply cannot keep up at times with bioloads.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said first fish - Is this a newer tank?
0ppt is quite low - You want 34-35ppt on salinity
Overfeeding is not safe and will raise ammonia levels. What test kit are you using ? If Api - you will often see Zero when it is not
What foods are you feeding ?
Moribund is a term similar to comatose state where a fish is weak and breathing heavy and can no longer eat and may not recover.
The bubbles from a HOB filter is not enough to increase oxygen and may be part of the issue as it is a basic mechanical unit and with heavy feedings, simply cannot keep up at times with bioloads.
I have the automated one. It's yellow. Ammonia tested .01 3 days ago and is 0 today. I was recommended 30-35 on salinity so I had it at 35 but it's currently at 30.what should I do with Tang? I've seen in similar posts, moving it can stress it so I'm worried to move it to a qt

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have the automated one. It's yellow. Ammonia tested .01 3 days ago and is 0 today. I was recommended 30-35 on salinity so I had it at 35 but it's currently at 30.what should I do with Tang? I've seen in similar posts, moving it can stress it so I'm worried to move it to a qt
Not sure if there is much you can do.
Moving it to freshwater seawater with added oxygen may or may not help. In its condition, you have nothing to lose

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is much you can do.
Moving it to freshwater seawater with added oxygen may or may not help. In its condition, you have nothing to lose
I don't have an air stone though. I can't do anything severe tonight. I have medications and food and water. That's it for tonight. I'm feeding it the recommended seaweed blend, and because I have other fish I also switch days on the recommended other food. It's chroma boost or something like that? I switch days with that and with mysis shrimp so it may or may not eat that.
Do you know what caused this? If this one dies I don't want to get another Tang without knowing what happened... And I want a Tang for algae eating

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't have an air stone though. I can't do anything severe tonight. I have medications and food and water. That's it for tonight. I'm feeding it the recommended seaweed blend, and because I have other fish I also switch days on the recommended other food. It's chroma boost or something like that? I switch days with that and with mysis shrimp so it may or may not eat that.
Do you know what caused this? If this one dies I don't want to get another Tang without knowing what happened... And I want a Tang for algae eating
At times causes can be elevated water temp, elevated ammonia, low dissolved oxygen, impact with glass, aggression, poor diet and airborne fumes near tank.
Regarding diet- This fish is a herbivore and would have needed more as you had it on seaweed and pellets.
Some foods to feed are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You can aim your powerhead towards the water surface to break surface but a gamble

Corals.com
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can aim your powerhead towards the water surface to break surface but a gamble
He always hangs out near the rocks, never the glass. No aggression with him or other fish. Definitely enough for so there's no lack of nutrition. I'll need to look in to the vitamins. The only other thing is an actual air some I guess. Any recommendations on what to get for that? And what vitamins?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times causes can be elevated water temp, elevated ammonia, low dissolved oxygen, impact with glass, aggression, poor diet and airborne fumes near tank.
Regarding diet- This fish is a herbivore and would have needed more as you had it on seaweed and pellets.
Some foods to feed are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
Also I have the inkbird. Water is never below 80 and never above 81. When I do water changes I add water heater to the barrel of water(after cleaning it) the night before to get water up to 80, then do a 10% water change. The only things I can think of, is I did 10-15% water change 3 days ago, but it was fine up until now. Last night it was fine. Today I came home from work and it was on its side. I feed in the mornings. I am following BRSTV 5 minute guide, and it said after adding tangs, before adding lights or corals to add Vibrant to help fight bacteria, so I did add Vibrant as soon as I got home today. I didnt look for the tang right away but it definitely wasnt where it is in the picture. It stood out like a sore thumb in that spot, so I dont know if it was laying somewhere else, or if it was swimming, but roughly 2 hours after I added Vibrant is when I walked by the tank and noticed the tang laying on the sand.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also I have the inkbird. Water is never below 80 and never above 81. When I do water changes I add water heater to the barrel of water(after cleaning it) the night before to get water up to 80, then do a 10% water change. The only things I can think of, is I did 10-15% water change 3 days ago, but it was fine up until now. Last night it was fine. Today I came home from work and it was on its side. I feed in the mornings. I am following BRSTV 5 minute guide, and it said after adding tangs, before adding lights or corals to add Vibrant to help fight bacteria, so I did add Vibrant as soon as I got home today. I didnt look for the tang right away but it definitely wasnt where it is in the picture. It stood out like a sore thumb in that spot, so I dont know if it was laying somewhere else, or if it was swimming, but roughly 2 hours after I added Vibrant is when I walked by the tank and noticed the tang laying on the sand.
Vibrant is an algaecide and Not recommended as its not any type of biological agent. May have been part of issue with tang
Temperature range 77-79 recommended.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He always hangs out near the rocks, never the glass. No aggression with him or other fish. Definitely enough for so there's no lack of nutrition. I'll need to look in to the vitamins. The only other thing is an actual air some I guess. Any recommendations on what to get for that? And what vitamins?
Selcon vitamins
Air pump and Air stone.

On diet- trust me - its not an adequate diet. These fish need fats, omega 3 and vegetation in their diet. I have 24 tangs and there is no way they would survive on this diet

1681527939742.png

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon vitamins
Air pump and Air stone.

On diet- trust me - its not an adequate diet. These fish need fats, omega 3 and vegetation in their diet. I have 24 tangs and there is no way they would survive on this diet

View attachment 3109842
How do I get them omega 3? the seaweed they eat has fats and vegetation

Corals.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - Moribund means - they will not swim at all.
I do not feed my tangs that diet - in fact I feed them every 3 days.
I'm not sure what's wrong with your tang - unfortunately - it could be a neurological problem - or another type of infection.
I would isolate it - and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. did you QT it?
I'm sorry I didn't hav time to read through all the posts - it certainly is not normal.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How do I get them omega 3? the seaweed they eat has fats and vegetation
Most quality frozen diets will contain vitamins- omega 3 and aminos . Seaweed has about 7% crude fat- you want saturated fat

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SR
Back