+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I am trying to seed some marco rocks I bought last July. For a while, I had them in my sump and then moved them to a covered bin to free up space in the sump. I have a power head, heater, and bubbler in there. There is no light as it is covered to limit evaporation. I am moving and upgrading to a 220 from my current system. I did add some of the live rock from my system to help seed, but from reading this thread, it seems like that may not help. I do change the water with water from changes. I have also started adding macrobater 7 to the bin
Few questions -

- Should i remove the live rock and put back in my current system?
- will not have light in the bin affect the bacteria growth on the marco rocks? also, what about the existing LR in there?
- Do I need to maintain a certain alk level or anything else in the bin for the bacteria to grow?

@LiverockRocks - I will contact you about buying rocks for the new tank in Delray.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I am trying to seed some marco rocks I bought last July. For a while, I had them in my sump and then moved them to a covered bin to free up space in the sump. I have a power head, heater, and bubbler in there. There is no light as it is covered to limit evaporation. I am moving and upgrading to a 220 from my current system. I did add some of the live rock from my system to help seed, but from reading this thread, it seems like that may not help. I do change the water with water from changes. I have also started adding macrobater 7 to the bin
Few questions -

- Should i remove the live rock and put back in my current system?
- will not have light in the bin affect the bacteria growth on the marco rocks? also, what about the existing LR in there?
- Do I need to maintain a certain alk level or anything else in the bin for the bacteria to grow?

@LiverockRocks - I will contact you about buying rocks for the new tank in Delray.
Howdy,
Is your goal to seed the marcro rocks in preparation for the 220? If so, I would leave them in the sump of your existing tank. They can get flow and continue maturing there without the hassle of a separate system.
Rock on.
W

R33f_Hacker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
Is your goal to seed the marcro rocks in preparation for the 220? If so, I would leave them in the sump of your existing tank. They can get flow and continue maturing there without the hassle of a separate system.
Rock on.
W
@LiverockRocks Yes, that is correct. I just tested the water in the bin I have the marco rock in and the phosphate and nitrate is pretty high. I am a little worried about putting it into my sump with these levels. Thoughts? Nitrate 16ppm & Phos .6 ppm

My current tank level has nitrate .2 and phos .11 ... I know my nitrate is low. trying to get that higher.

Avast
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back