Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the SK72 at about 2700 GPH (powered by twin Abyzz a200's) with zero issues. Clarisea rolls last months. Three things that really help, one, lowering the water level in the fuge section to it's lowest point. Two, using the extended float switch holder in the Clarisea's that should come with the sump (note that my sump did not come with these and I had to contact Synergy Reef to get them). Three, modifying the Clarisea part with the slats in it like this to allow for more flow:

View attachment 3024017

View attachment 3024019
Couple more questions for you. Did you have to modify the sump at all? I just removed my sk-5000s and went back to filter socks. I have the SK-72 sump and a single Abyzz A200. My sump is also in the basement, but its also across the house about 35' horizontally from the tank. I have been running the Abyzz at 85%. When I have some time, I may try some of the modification to the rollers that you did. Initialy life was good, but as the tank aged, the rollers would not advance enough to keep the water from spilling over the crash box. I surmise that if it did advance quickly enough, I'd go through a roll in about 2 weeks at this point.

One thing I cant figure out yet is how you got the water level in the refugium section to be as low as I see in the pic, especially with significantly more flow than I have. I removed the plate covering the holes between the fuge and skimmer sections so that no water goes over the top. However, even with my flow, the water stays 2-3 inches above height of the water in the skimmer section, which I have set at 9 inches. Did you modify the sump as well? I just can't believe you are getting more flow than me through those little holes...

I also see you are not using that fuge chamber as a fuge...so the addition of macro algae is a problem....as it wants to clog the flow through once that is where all the water goes...

OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled more slots to allow more water to pass from the fuge to the skimmer chamber it’s the only way to allow the water level to be lower In the fuge chamber. I have plumed one filter roller directly from my overflow the other is still getting water via the crashbox. This helps with a little more flow.

Fiziksgeek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled more slots to allow more water to pass from the fuge to the skimmer chamber it’s the only way to allow the water level to be lower In the fuge chamber. I have plumed one filter roller directly from my overflow the other is still getting water via the crashbox. This helps with a little more flow.

So it begs the question, how do you keep the macro algae from clogging the holes as the water flows through?

ReefDreamz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more questions for you. Did you have to modify the sump at all? I just removed my sk-5000s and went back to filter socks. I have the SK-72 sump and a single Abyzz A200. My sump is also in the basement, but its also across the house about 35' horizontally from the tank. I have been running the Abyzz at 85%. When I have some time, I may try some of the modification to the rollers that you did. Initialy life was good, but as the tank aged, the rollers would not advance enough to keep the water from spilling over the crash box. I surmise that if it did advance quickly enough, I'd go through a roll in about 2 weeks at this point.

One thing I cant figure out yet is how you got the water level in the refugium section to be as low as I see in the pic, especially with significantly more flow than I have. I removed the plate covering the holes between the fuge and skimmer sections so that no water goes over the top. However, even with my flow, the water stays 2-3 inches above height of the water in the skimmer section, which I have set at 9 inches. Did you modify the sump as well? I just can't believe you are getting more flow than me through those little holes...

I also see you are not using that fuge chamber as a fuge...so the addition of macro algae is a problem....as it wants to clog the flow through once that is where all the water goes...
I did not modify my sump at all besides I did have to enlarge one of the two return holes in the top. My sump came with one 1.5" return bulkhead and one 1" return bulkhead but I wanted two 1.5" bulkheads. I still have the plate installed between the fuge and skimmer chambers but it's set to it's lowest point.

I also experienced the water level in the crash box rising over time. Initially, when I set up the system I was running filter socks so I had the water level in the fuge and clarisea section much higher. Then when I switched to the clariseas I was getting water coming over the crashbox divider so I lowered the water in the fuge section considerably and that solved the issue. A couple months later the water was again coming over the crashbox divider so that's when I modified the clarisea tubes and since then it's been good. But I am noticing the water level in the crash box is very slowly rising over time. I don't understand what could cause this.

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back