Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased and installed the sk60 sump and wanted to give my thoughts on it to others who are thinking about using it for their build. Since this is a big decision and is not a cheap one I believe my experience with it can help someone else out.
First I will say that the build quality is excellent and the color options really make this sump look amazing. The easy access to skimmer and fugue compartments and the cover plates to help with evaporation really help when it’s time for maintenance. Unfortunately that’s about the end of the positives. The sump is poorly designed in terms of how much flow it can handle. They recommend this for 300 gallon tanks which need higher gph flow through the sump in order to get rid of the floating particles we all hate. The flow rate im able to achieve is 800-1000 gph using the two clarisea 5000. I have tried playing around with it and changing things up but still this will add little flow rate at expense of burning through filter paper fast. On the website it states flows up to 2600 gph which for me was the selling point. I didn’t expect 2600 but I figured I would get at least 2000 Gph Through this sump. Next between the different compartments the water flows through many little slots. The problem here is they start to get clogged especially in the fuge area and especially if you have a grow light there. This results in extra maintenance I could avoid if they where bigger. Another issue is the return pump compartment. The water on top in that compartment is completely stagnant which causes a bunch of particles To just accumulate at the top surface level. My fix to it was installing a small pump to move the water a bit. The issue with that is micro bubbles getting in the return pump. Overall I will say I had really high hopes for this sump which where a complete letdown. i will add more to this as time goes on and if I can figure out any fixes to some of the issues.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a Lamborghini alright with a Honda Civic transmission. i have 4 drains at 1.5 inches each. With a 30 inch side peninsula style overflow box. Prior to this sump I had diy 75 gallon sump I was flowing 2000 gph on it. The major issue is the crash box design.

OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep wish synergy reef would have told the truth on the flow and not just listed 2600 gph on their website To get more sales. I didn’t expect 2600 but I thought I would get at least around 2000gph. This sump turned out to be an expensive downgrade.

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I believe GEO is the only one that actually build a completely new housing for their clarisea fleece sump that actually allows for higher flow rate. I can run my L2 at 100% on my 300g system but it does chew up filters faster the more you send through it. I have my L2 running at 70% on my 300g
VideoCapture_20230214-123732.jpg

Corals.com

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great I can get an extra 100gph but it will blow through the whole filter roll in a week. I’m starting to wish I got the geo sump
They are a bit more pricey but I feel they throughly thought about their design. The custom housing they build for the filter roller are about twice the size of the original housing.

OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that alone sounds Like a big selling point. Honestly I didnt know that I wish people put out more reviews to help others. I tried to research ahead but not much info out there. This is why I wrote up this review to help others avoid same mistake

Nutramar Foods

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that alone sounds Like a big selling point. Honestly I didnt know that I wish people put out more reviews to help others. I tried to research ahead but not much info out there. This is why I wrote up this review to help others avoid same mistake
Stock clarisea5000 is 2.75" wide. My Geo custom housing is about 10" wide. Makes a big difference for flow through. The whole housing area is about 13x10 for both clarisea5000.

I have the 60x20x15 9n my 260g DT. Ordering the 36" model for my 100g lagoon display.
20230214_151329.jpg

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at it and I’m totally regretting getting the synergy especially with 800 gph flow rate
I'm glad I saw your review. I was actually thinking of trying out the synergy sump but your post helped me make my decision to get another GEO. Thanks for that.

BRS

Rappa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great I can get an extra 100gph but it will blow through the whole filter roll in a week. I’m starting to wish I got the geo sump
Don't those rollers have a bypass screw that you can adjust to allow unfiltered water through them to keep the level in the crashbox where you want it and up the flow through the sump? I'm researching all of this at the moment and was heavily leaning toward the SK60 for my in-wall 225G build.

OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could help someone I emailed the builder asking him how he is getting claimed flow rates and that I’m not even close Barely getting 800 gph He basically said that clarisea are not great at high flow rates. If that’s the case then why not put the real numbers up instead of people getting surprised after they purchase and install this sump

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could help someone I emailed the builder asking him how he is getting claimed flow rates and that I’m not even close Barely getting 800 gph He basically said that clarisea are not great at high flow rates. If that’s the case then why not put the real numbers up instead of people getting surprised after they purchase and install this sump
That's odd that they would tell you that but claim it can handle the 2300gph. I feel in their own words. It is a valid claim for a return since they knew it couldn't handle that but still advertised such numbers.

Avast
OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me I’ve thought about returning it already. It took me a week of work just to install it. I had to remove my center brace in my stand to get it to fit inside. Now think how comfortable it feels to remove the center brace from a 430 gallon tank stand. Takes lots of planning and brace support with hydraulic jack

ReefSakes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me I’ve thought about returning it already. It took me a week of work just to install it. I had to remove my center brace in my stand to get it to fit inside. Now think how comfortable it feels to remove the center brace from a 430 gallon tank stand. Takes lots of planning and brace support with hydraulic jack
Ahh... yeah that would take some thought to safely remove it. Wish you best of luck brother.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rappa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks if I figure out any fixes or improvements to this sump I will post on here
So... Is the crash box area too small? I literally have this sump in my shopping cart. I've watched the youtube vid a hundred times of the owner showing the Clarisea installation and it looks pretty straightforward with plenty of room for flow. The sump has the exact configuration that I am looking for. I'm having a super hard time trying to understand why you aren't getting flow through them. I saw your review this morning. I emailed the builder because obviously, this is a concern when I'm literally ready to pull the trigger on this sump. He actauuly called me within minutes of my email (which was pretty awesome) and told me that there could be many variables that could cause your issue with possibly user error, possibly config error. He sounds like the kind of guy that would bend over backward to solve your problem with you if you gave him a chance. He told me that he has built over 400 of this exact configuration of SK60 models that are out there in the universe and he has not heard any of the issues you are stating that couldn't be resolved. I've searched other forums and can't find any other complaints. If it was truly that bad, I would think others would complain as well. But maybe not? I am hesitating about buying it though as you do have me concerned. I just cannot envision why this isn't working for you. What would you change to make it function better? Thanks!

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back