Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20220312_030709073.jpg

PXL_20220312_043021196.jpg

PXL_20220312_202926446.jpg

I have what definetly appears to be chrysophytes. At "1200x" on my toy microscope still very hard to see.
I did not observe it move, I haven't used a microscope since Micro in college so not sure I did things correctly but I scraped some off a dead coral skeleton and placed a little plastic slide film over it.
Out of the water it formed gelatinous gobs.

Bonus question can anyone ID the green donut shaped much larger thing?

Attachments

• PXL_20220312_034059898.jpg
    PXL_20220312_034059898.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 23
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2586272

View attachment 2586275
View attachment 2586276

I have what definetly appears to be chrysophytes. At "1200x" on my toy microscope still very hard to see.
I did not observe it move, I haven't used a microscope since Micro in college so not sure I did things correctly but I scraped some off a dead coral skeleton and placed a little plastic slide film over it.
Out of the water it formed gelatinous gobs.

Bonus question can anyone ID the green donut shaped much larger thing?
I think you nailed it.

I tried a handful of different things -- including months of patience. After someone else reported success with Vibrant, I tried it. Between that, and adding a one spot foxface that will eat anything, I did get rid of them for good. I was also running slightly lower nutrients (for me) at the same time, so it is hard to pick apart. I FEEL like it was the Vibrant as it contains a known algaecide Busan 77. Use with caution. Start with the low dose.

Let us know how it goes.
Bonus question: air bubble. What did I win?

Grumblez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you nailed it.

I tried a handful of different things -- including months of patience. After someone else reported success with Vibrant, I tried it. Between that, and adding a one spot foxface that will eat anything, I did get rid of them for good. I was also running slightly lower nutrients (for me) at the same time, so it is hard to pick apart. I FEEL like it was the Vibrant as it contains a known algaecide Busan 77. Use with caution. Start with the low dose.

Let us know how it goes.
Bonus question: air bubble. What did I win?

Thanks, I had a major GHA problem in my fuge and some in my tank. Although I think some of it was actually this stuff. I did 3 rounds off Flucanzole, very small amount of vibrant and I killed all GHA and potentially some of this stuff ( I didn't look at it to closely since I knew GHA had killed a frag and I had a BUNCH overtaking my macro in my fuge). About 2 months later this stuff broke out bad. Started only in sand but slowing getting some on rocks. So some evidence that maybe flucanzole works, if it gets bad enough maybe I'll try again.
I wish there there was more information on this stuff out there.

Top Shelf Aquatics

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB @taricha I'm starting to get pretty frustrated to the point where it makes me want to tear my tank down...if I didnt have a bunch of fish it probably would have happend by now..I am still struggling with whatever this is and it just seems to keep getting worse. Here are some latest pics, have gha now along with whatever this stuff is, looks like dinos but they do not move and just collect plus the hydrozoan based stuff...I am thinking of going down the vibrant path since I have no idea what else to try or to do. I;ve read all the threads and know its basically algaefix but at this point after 2 months its not getting any better and this after introducing some live sand and 2 batches of live rubble from aquabiomics....

Here are the pics:
20220329_163955.jpg

PXL_20220329_212737476.jpg

PXL_20220329_212430217.jpg

PXL_20220329_212758810.jpg

Here are some scope pics of the hydrozoan stuff:

PXL_20220315_220637907.jpg

PXL_20220315_221038822.jpg

I have to say I understand why this hobby has such a large drop out rate, lol. When things go sideways its a major pain to get things squared away and this alll started after a chemi-clean treatment so it was self inflicted. Any advice or prayers etc..welcome...lol :)

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB @taricha I'm starting to get pretty frustrated to the point where it makes me want to tear my tank down...if I didnt have a bunch of fish it probably would have happend by now..I am still struggling with whatever this is and it just seems to keep getting worse. Here are some latest pics, have gha now along with whatever this stuff is, looks like dinos but they do not move and just collect plus the hydrozoan based stuff...I am thinking of going down the vibrant path since I have no idea what else to try or to do. I;ve read all the threads and know its basically algaefix but at this point after 2 months its not getting any better and this after introducing some live sand and 2 batches of live rubble from aquabiomics....

Here are the pics:
View attachment 2611453

View attachment 2611454
View attachment 2611455
View attachment 2611456

Here are some scope pics of the hydrozoan stuff:

View attachment 2611467

View attachment 2611468

I have to say I understand why this hobby has such a large drop out rate, lol. When things go sideways its a major pain to get things squared away and this alll started after a chemi-clean treatment so it was self inflicted. Any advice or prayers etc..welcome...lol :)

What magnification are these taken it? I would almost swear I can see some Ostreopsis in the background (unless the magnification is 200x or greater).

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What magnification are these taken it? I would almost swear I can see some Ostreopsis in the background (unless the magnification is 200x or greater).
I never know about magnification, one was the lowest and one the next highest setting. They look like dino's. I've had dinos before, actually multiple times but while these look like dinos they do not move at all, most all of that stuff in the pics are motionless, I did see a few dino's moving around but nothing major it's all this other stuff that just keeps going on and on with no fix in sight. I want to have an SPS dominant tank so I'd rather not go down the vibrant path but right now nothing that I am doing is having any affect so I just at a loss, afraid vibrant will clear it up but have long lasting impact...wish I knew what the right answer was...or the path to take....

Oh and I have an in tank UV going so as least for ostreo should be kept in check. The odd thing, fish and inverts (shrimp, snails and a couple of crabs) seem to be doing ok but the tank is just getting worse. Even some of the snails has stuff growing on it, I guess I could take samples and send to @AquaBiomics since right now I am totally frustrated and lost as to what to do.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never know about magnification, one was the lowest and one the next highest setting. They look like dino's. I've had dinos before, actually multiple times but while these look like dinos they do not move at all, most all of that stuff in the pics are motionless, I did see a few dino's moving around but nothing major it's all this other stuff that just keeps going on and on with no fix in sight. I want to have an SPS dominant tank so I'd rather not go down the vibrant path but right now nothing that I am doing is having any affect so I just at a loss, afraid vibrant will clear it up but have long lasting impact...wish I knew what the right answer was...or the path to take....

Oh and I have an in tank UV going so as least for ostreo should be kept in check. The odd thing, fish and inverts (shrimp, snails and a couple of crabs) seem to be doing ok but the tank is just getting worse. Even some of the snails has stuff growing on it, I guess I could take samples and send to @AquaBiomics since right now I am totally frustrated and lost as to what to do.

Post another video at 200-400x (multiply the eye piece number times the objective ....closest to the slide....number).

Don't be to sure about UV controlling it. If the UV is sized and supplied with flow per the manufacturer's recommendations it's probably doing little for Ostreopsis treatment/prevention. It takes lower flow and a lot bigger UV to significantly impact them.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post another video at 200-400x (multiply the eye piece number times the objective ....closest to the slide....number).

Don't be to sure about UV controlling it. If the UV is sized and supplied with flow per the manufacturer's recommendations it's probably doing little for Ostreopsis treatment/prevention. It takes lower flow and a lot bigger UV to significantly impact them.
Yeah again they look like dino;s but none of those were moving at all, motionless so it's crhysophytes or something else. I saw a couple moving here or there but nothing major.

Here are some magnified pics, again I did not see any movement with these...

PXL_20220330_015855132.jpg

PXL_20220330_020044827.jpg

PXL_20220330_015646227.jpg

PXL_20220330_015756876.jpg

Last edited:

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah again they look like dino;s but none of those were moving at all, motionless so it's crhysophytes or something else. I saw a couple moving here or there but nothing major.

Here are some magnified pics, again I did not see any movement with these...

View attachment 2611956
View attachment 2611957
View attachment 2611958
View attachment 2611960

Moving or not, those are ostreopsis. Sometimes , for reasons not clear, dinos are't always motile on the slides.

World Wide Corals

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom, what size is your UV, what size is your tank and how is your UV plumbed. Sorry if you've already posted that, it's hard to keep up with all the posts and different tanks sometimes.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving or not, those are ostreopsis. Sometimes , for reasons not clear, dinos are't always motile on the slides.
Welp, good to know. I have a 10w UV unit with a pretty new bulb maybe I have the flow going to fast, I will slow the flow down. Seems like I just can't get rid of them, I have nutirents, even have gha starting to be a pain, diatoms etc but still can't get rid if them...

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, good to know. I have a 10w UV unit with a pretty new bulb maybe I have the flow going to fast, I will slow the flow down. Seems like I just can't get rid of them, I have nutirents, even have gha starting to be a pain, diatoms etc but still can't get rid if them...
What size is your tank? How is the UV plumbed? What is the flow through the UV? These are very important questions to help you get through this.

BRS

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom, what size is your UV, what size is your tank and how is your UV plumbed. Sorry if you've already posted that, it's hard to keep up with all the posts and different tanks sometimes.
Its a 10w uv, it's only a nano tank 29g DT with a 20g long sump, the flow is adjustable and it was on the fastest speed. It is in the DT, I have turned the flow down now to its lowest level. I have nutirents, no3 -13, po4 vaires, today it was .01 but the other day it was .06...I did a chemi-clean treatment in december for some cyano and guess what...paying the price ever since and cannot get things back in shape, all my fault. I have purchased live rubble (2 of them) from aquabiomics and live sand to add diversity. I culture pods and add them weekly but still have these issues. The dinos are not the only issue, I have this other stuff that actually grows under the rocks, some kind of hydrozoan or something...it's the tank from hades, lol.

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. It's fixable.

So, if I understand correctly the pump for your UV is actually in the display? What pump is it and is the UV unit below the tank, above it or at the same level. What brand /model is your UV? How long has it been since the UV sleeve has been inspected? They sometimes get covered with precipitate.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. It's fixable.

So, if I understand correctly the pump for your UV is actually in the display? What pump is it and is the UV unit below the tank, above it or at the same level. What brand /model is your UV? How long has it been since the UV sleeve has been inspected? They sometimes get covered with precipitate.
It's this unit - https://www.innovative-marine.com/s...erilizer-Water-Clarifier-Universal-p184825923 10w, I did have the flow on its highest setting but changed it to the lowest setting, the bulb is actually pretty new, only 2 months old, nice and bright. The pump is attached to the bottom of the UV unit and sits about 2/3rds down into the tank, it is adjustable and I can raise and lower it as needed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this unit - https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/AuqaShield™-10-Watt-UV-Sterilizer-Water-Clarifier-Universal-p184825923 10w, I did have the flow on its highest setting but changed it to the lowest setting, the bulb is actually pretty new, only 2 months old, nice and bright. The pump is attached to the bottom of the UV unit and sits about 2/3rds down into the tank, it is adjustable and I can raise and lower it as needed.

Unfortunately these units with built in pumps are not usually very helpful with dinos. They are designed with flow rates that are not set up for dinos but for algae and parasites which require far less contact time. We can give it a little time but I'm afraid it won't work for this problem. We'll see.

I will try to find out what the flow rates are for this unit but there is absolutely nothing available on Innovative Marine's website about the technical aspects of the unit.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately these units with built in pumps are not usually very helpful with dinos. They are designed with flow rates that are not set up for dinos but for algae and parasites which require far less contact time. We can give it a little time but I'm afraid it won't work for this problem. We'll see.

I will try to find out what the flow rates are for this unit but there is absolutely nothing available on Innovative Marine's website about the technical aspects of the unit.
Understand, it has 2 adjustments on it for flow, the housing itself can be adjusted then you can also adjust the flow on the attached pump also. I assume we want the flow as slow as I can get it? The small pump that attaches to it says 53gph and I assume that is on high, I can turn it all the way down. But like I said the unit also is adjustable on the housing and you can adjust that from low to high also. I have another unit and can try to figure out GPH but my question is what should I be trying to target? My DT is only 29g and then I have a bunch of rock so maybe 20g of water.

Oh @saltyhog really appreciate your help...

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

saltyhog

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand, it has 2 adjustments on it for flow, the housing itself can be adjusted then you can also adjust the flow on the attached pump also. I assume we want the flow as slow as I can get it? The small pump that attaches to it says 53gph and I assume that is on high, I can turn it all the way down. But like I said the unit also is adjustable on the housing and you can adjust that from low to high also. I have another unit and can try to figure out GPH but my question is what should I be trying to target? My DT is only 29g and then I have a bunch of rock so maybe 20g of water.

Oh @saltyhog really appreciate your help...

Just checked my pump setting on the UV and its already set to the minimum setting, so maybe I should open that up a little, maybe half way.

If the highest flow rate on the pump is 53 gph that's great! Too slow and you don't expose enough of the dinos to the UV, too fast and the contact time is insufficient to work. I'm surprised to find that flow pump....most units with built in pumps are much higher compared to the size of the UV wattage.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the highest flow rate on the pump is 53 gph that's great! Too slow and you don't expose enough of the dinos to the UV, too fast and the contact time is insufficient to work. I'm surprised to find that flow pump....most units with built in pumps are much higher compared to the size of the UV wattage.
I will do some measurements today but that is the sticker on the pump, its a pretty small pump. So would you run that pump fully open at 53gph? I think that may have been some of my issues, I moved it over half way but sounds like even fully open I should be good, right?

I want to put it in a bucket and time it and see what I get and then I will know for sure, right now I am leaning that I need to fully open it up.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back