Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with this. Perhaps one day R2R can have a whole section dedicated to local LFS state by state. Not just coral vendors but the mom and pop fish stores down the block. Give them an opportunity to reach out to a good size audience.
This is a great idea in theory. We did this on another forum I was active in years ago. Problems are that over time things change. Owners change or a store goes out of business. Employees move on on or have a bad day. Some people can't be pleased and leave negative reviews. Also iirc it was done within the state/regional forums so you would only see those who might be driving distance.
There's a couple of other good lfs that are probably 60-90 minutes away, but my lfs is only 30 minutes away with traffic.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of the equipment we buy is MAP (minimum advertised price) priced so everyone charges the same. Might as well give your lfs the business. They might have it in stock or can get it for you within a few days. If you're a regular customer you might even get a discount. It won't be much as the margins are slim but every bit helps when it's time for new coral frags or other livestock.

Right now many manufacturers are offering Black Friday sales. Your lfs also gets the better pricing but at a short window to buy so they can't always take advantage of bringing in a bunch for inventory. So understand if the lfs sometimes can't meet the discount. On the other hand...
I got a used (discontinued) protein skimmer from my lfs with the proviso that I could return it within 3 months for credit if I didn't like it. Turns out the pump wouldn't start. I called him about getting either a Simplicity 540DC or RedSea 900.
I checked the internet prices for both and they're very close. I called my lfs about getting one or the other and he informed me that the Simplicity was discounted 10% for Black Friday pricing. He took off another 5% for my trouble with the used PS. None of the big box internet companies show that discount yet.

I also like buying livestock locally as I can see what I'm getting and his pricing is fair. A small sailfin tang is $20, an Orchid Dottyback pseudochromis is $35. He also has a small purple tang for $199. I'm thinking of putting it on hold till my tank is ready for it.

Too many local fish stores around here are gone. It's the same everywhere. So please, if you have a good lfs near you please support them as much as possible.
The same thing happened to mom and pop grocery stores when big chain grocery stores were invented. This sort thing is as heart rending as watching a nature video of a lion catching and eating a baby gazelle. Capitalism is heartless. The trend seems normal and natural but very sad all the same.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all for supporting any local business but sometimes online more convenient because I can often find all I need from the comfort of my couch. LFS often carry a limited selection. Live stock wanted might not be locally sourced and I’m yet to find one that properly QT. Most if not all have a reef section and fish only which are kept in lower salinity and bathe in copper.

Where I see the future of LFS would be in being more niche and offering actual QT fish at a higher price. I’d pay it just knowing I don’t have to designate space in my house or buy equipment or provide medication or wait. To do it properly would require three separate systems. Fish, coral and inverts although latter two could just be divided but same filtration.

Petco will continue to sell that requiring home QT or more likely just dropped in and those of us wanting issue free will shop at the LFS.

Used to be in the business. Know of the large mortality rate and I’m talking about at the wholesaler or transhipper.

Business is about evolving and not expecting customer loyalty since the customer will often seek that most convenient and least expensive. They have their own loyalties to family which also has cost and time not wasted running around trying to find what they need.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s nice to support lfs but like many others mine around me just don’t take customers seriously. I needed Hannah reagents and salt (brightwells) and went to both lfs to ask them to order it. I even told them I would buy it can exclusively from them. Was told no can do from both places. So now I only shop corals/fish

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of giving business to the small guys and supporting local businesses. However, they have to be willing to give as good of customer service as the online guys and make a little extra effort sometimes to have what you need available because at the end of the day, I'm in the hobby to enjoy the hobby which means getting what I need/want for my tank for a reasonable price at least (don't mind spending a little extra but there's a limit)...it's not just about saving money for me, like I said before, it's just about enjoying the hobby. I value customer service a lot which is why I buy my corals from the same local guy who's always treated me fairly and given me small discounts to make up for his lack of availability at times so I prefer buying from him. However, there are also small shops that offer terrible customer service that i will once in a while buy from only because they get something i really want. I'd never buy from that particular shop otherwise even though they are a small local business.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with supporting LFS just for the sake of keeping them around. Many are disappearing for good reasons (poor customer service, exorbitant pricing, bad husbandry practices). The 2 nearest me are absolutely filthy. However, there's one over an hour away that's incredible. They get my money every time I'm in the area. It's always more fun to go look at fish rather than buy online. I think LFS are like anything else....if they're good at what they do, they will be around!

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made this point many times before ….. any of the LFS that survive near me do so because they’re mostly transitioned to a service business. I don’t think a handful of hobbyists going out of their way to buy locally will make much difference. I transitioned to almost 100% online years ago. It’s just better. Not unique to this hobby either, (local) specialty retailers are disappearing across most domains. World has changed, and legacy business models with it.
FTFY.

And yeah, the online specialty retailers are way better than local ones were, because they are so much more specialized, and are able to deal with a much wider market.

About the only time I want to use a LFS is when I need one or two small things (like a couple snails) and then they almost never have what I want.

Nutramar Foods

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with supporting LFS just for the sake of keeping them around. Many are disappearing for good reasons (poor customer service, exorbitant pricing, bad husbandry practices). The 2 nearest me are absolutely filthy. However, there's one over an hour away that's incredible. They get my money every time I'm in the area. It's always more fun to go look at fish rather than buy online. I think LFS are like anything else....if they're good at what they do, they will be around!
Yeah, I agree...i support good businesses...not just because they're a small business. It's not personal, just business.

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I support mine 100%. Tiki Corals in Glenn Allen, Va.
No way would I ever purchase online, unless they didn't carry what I was looking for. Just salt so far. Great rescores to bounce issues off of when things go wrong.
Sometimes it's not about a dollar.
Tiki is a nice store, but the 12-6 hours are an impossibility for me.

AquaCave Logo Banner

pulpfiction

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS has aphasia infestation and every fish I ever got from them came down with ich :frowning-face:. Bad experience for a newbie. I no longer trust them. Had to run my tank fallow for 4 months then get fish from a different source. No more ich.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Owning an LFS at one time, I made it an importance but came to the point it does not matter as when I take care of them and endure a 2 hour round trip and they dont take care of me,,,,, not worth it and its sad but this is what society has become

mjszos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blessed to have a variety of shops in the Chicago area + conventions that are pretty stellar so I haven't bought online before... I will always go to my LFS and try to give them my money, the relationship alone is worth any additional price. Not to mention the satisfaction of going out, buying your new toy or inhabitant, and immediately getting to see it in your home.

Plus, if you build a good relationship with your LFS you'll almost certainly get better pricing over time and added flexibility with special orders on any livestock/products you may be interested in.

OU812Reefing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of the equipment we buy is MAP (minimum advertised price) priced so everyone charges the same. Might as well give your lfs the business. They might have it in stock or can get it for you within a few days. If you're a regular customer you might even get a discount. It won't be much as the margins are slim but every bit helps when it's time for new coral frags or other livestock.

Right now many manufacturers are offering Black Friday sales. Your lfs also gets the better pricing but at a short window to buy so they can't always take advantage of bringing in a bunch for inventory. So understand if the lfs sometimes can't meet the discount. On the other hand...
I got a used (discontinued) protein skimmer from my lfs with the proviso that I could return it within 3 months for credit if I didn't like it. Turns out the pump wouldn't start. I called him about getting either a Simplicity 540DC or RedSea 900.
I checked the internet prices for both and they're very close. I called my lfs about getting one or the other and he informed me that the Simplicity was discounted 10% for Black Friday pricing. He took off another 5% for my trouble with the used PS. None of the big box internet companies show that discount yet.

I also like buying livestock locally as I can see what I'm getting and his pricing is fair. A small sailfin tang is $20, an Orchid Dottyback pseudochromis is $35. He also has a small purple tang for $199. I'm thinking of putting it on hold till my tank is ready for it.

Too many local fish stores around here are gone. It's the same everywhere. So please, if you have a good lfs near you please support them as much as possible.
I have only been buying from my LFS they have great service and always willing to help for instance I asked for a particular fish when it came in they called me after the fish was clear to sell and if I’m looking for some equipment if they don’t have it they will order it and if I need it asap they will do there best to help

acesfull44

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, there are some great points here on both ends. I am one of those that does both. In fact, I support my LFS and thought so much of him I included a plug of him and his company in my build thread if you care to check that out. We have a couple of nice options here locally that both give good customer service and have a clue at what they are doing IMO. But I also support on line business, as there are some things that the LFS does not have, or its just simply easier for me to buy and have it shipped to the house and I don't feel like I am "taking away" business from them. Participating in the live sales on this site is also something I enjoy doing and use that as a way to allocate money to the hobby and support those businesses as well. I also do my best to chose different vendors when those sales go on so I can spread the love so to speak.

Joe.D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate my LFS. I’ve only been in the hobby for about 6 months and started researching several months prior to that. They’ve been a great resource for me.

Thus far, I’ve bought everything from them. I like that if there’s an issue, they are local and I can go to them. They also QT their fish and don‘t charge a premium for doing so.

I live in the Twin Cites, so BRS is local. Shipping charges about offset gas. And if I’m going to go to them for curbside pickup to avoid shipping charges, I may as well go to the LFS, look at their beautiful livestock and pick their brains. Prices are about the same for the reasons OP states, and I get loyalty points at LFS too.

Yes, my LFS provides services - both commercial and for hobbyists. I’ve used them to help set up the system and when I took a 2 week vacation this summer.

They’ve also recently set up an option for free 30 min appts to discuss issues, stocking lists, whatever - either online or in-store.

For a new reefer, they’ve proven to be invaluable to me and have earned my business.

Not saying I’ll never buy anything online, but I appreciate small local businesses and they’re only a 15-20 drive from my house.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my local fish store and support them whenever I can. Sometimes I just stop by for 20 min to chat with the owner.

I’m about to order my Reefer 625 XXL Deluxe from him. It’ll cost me a bunch of BRS rewards points, but it’s worth it to support a local small business.

The exceptions I make are most fish and corals. I’m into Marine Angels and Scoly’s and Acanthophyllia, and he won’t stock those because they don’t sell. So those I order online from trusted vendors.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back