Super Reef Octo ext 3000 issue?

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 with a 55 sump running an Super Reef Octopus EXT3000
Tank has been running a bit over an year now.
I built my sump out of aqueon 55 with baffle kit and had the Skimmer running from an independent pump, from inside the sump directly into the skimmer and feed the return back into the sump.

It definitely skims well when it is skimming... then it stops and just produces a ton of tiny bubbles. Sometimes i will stop it all together to restart it.
That most of the time gets it to skim for a while.

This weekend (9/29), i decided to add another in between 10 gal tank, and move the skimmer to feed that 10 gal tank, with an overflow going back to the sump. I split the line of the overflow coming off the 10 gal into 2x 1 inch pvc feeds into the tank.
1. i drilled tiny holes and put it in a bin with mesh with a light on the external (made a DIY Algae scrubber)
2. 2nd 1 inch pvc has a valve to slow the water down a bit. I have it almost all the way open.

That said, the skimmers external flow into the 10 gal is free with no blocking, its falling straight down into the 10gal.

So the sump is still feeding the skimmer via its own pump which i am currently running at 10% ( I usually can get it started running it low then raising it) and cannot get this to start accumulating bubbles for 2 days now.
I've never really played with the knob on the skimmer, tested it here and there but have always left it fully open.

Any tips here ?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It definitely skims well when it is skimming... then it stops and just produces a ton of tiny bubbles.
normal on oversized skimmer, barely nothing to skim on slow days.

So the sump is still feeding the skimmer via its own pump which i am currently running at 10% ( I usually can get it started running it low then raising it) and cannot get this to start accumulating bubbles for 2 days now.

have you checked air intake for blockage ? next would be the impeller for broken pieces
any bubbles at all rt now ?
and what pump ?

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is a jebao dct 8000, it used to be my main in my 92 gal. When I raise it to 100 I can see the water level go up in the skimmer each level. (With bubble pump off)
Pic below is now... its making bubbles but stops there under that gunk build. I cleaned the cup when i moved it this weekend. My nitrates are high so it should have plenty to skim.
I squeezed the air line back and forth but didn't disconnect it to check it.
1000030953.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check air intake for clog 1st, then would check , clean impeller .
Bubble pump ? got pic ?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you said you had to knock it to get it started sometimes ?
careful taking apart ,remember where each washer goes ,impeller shaft prob cracked ,
if not blockage in air intake .
I got 3 ,2 BB2000 ,1 BB3000 ,all 3 down due to impeller... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock it, no...
I can turn it off and let it settle, then turn it back on, set the pump to 10% and it usually will start bubbling up good. then i would raise the water level 10% at a time not ever over 40% - if i pass 40 it starts with the small bubbles normally...
This time, it started bubbling good only for a min and has just been doing tiny bubbles.
I was able to squeeze the line shut and it reacted. you can hear it starved for air.

When i get home today i will try and inspect the line and air pump.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fellas thank you for the help for sure, appreciate it. I took apart the pump and it really only had some tiny small crap on it... but i picked it out, put her back together and shes working again....
Highly appreciate the help!!!!!
1000031001.jpg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back