Sump concerns and plumbing.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am looking into getting a new sump as mine isn’t meeting my needs. I bought a used tank with sump about a year and a half ago.

Current tank stand has theee metal bars that the current sump sits on , entire sump bottom is not touchig, and the ends on both sides of the sump hang of by a 1/2 inch. No issues.

The issue I run into now the sumps I am interested in are longer, so over hang on ends of sump can be up to 3.5 to 4.5.

still need to see height from ground to bars on the stand distance. To see if a 2x4 laying flat would help.

Want to avoid pressure points even though the sump won’t be completely full but in case of emergency might hold more than usual.

Second question. I would need to redo some plumbing if I upgrade. Anyone have tips on redoing with a running tank? How long should the plumbing be glued for before getting water ran through it?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use 2x4....or for that fact, any dimensional lumber. I'd go with a piece of 3/4 plywood. An overhang of 3, 4 or 5 inches from the bracing below shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the plumbing, you can use it immediately after gluing.....as told to me by a master plumber. He actually said, as fast as you can turn the water back on. I personally would wait five or ten minutes....the glue is not soluble in water.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use 2x4....or for that fact, any dimensional lumber. I'd go with a piece of 3/4 plywood. An overhang of 3, 4 or 5 inches from the bracing below shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the plumbing, you can use it immediately after gluing.....as told to me by a master plumber. He actually said, as fast as you can turn the water back on. I personally would wait five or ten minutes....the glue is not soluble in water.
Thank you.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I might have understated the amount of overhang that would be there with a new sump. It’s currently more like 1 1/2 - 2 inches right now. So new sump might be 6-7 over hang.
IMG_8319.jpeg IMG_8318.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand the problem, I don't believe 6 or 7 inches would be a problem.

Just to be clear, what I'm saying is to cut a piece of 3/4 plywood to the dimensions of this new sump....maybe with a little extra so that the entire sump easily fits on this piece of plywood. Put that down over these three steel support braces, centered. Just to make your mind feel comfy cozy, clamp this piece of ply on a table with the 6 or 7 inches overhanging the table and put your weight on the overhang. I'm 250 lbs and I can't deflect that short length of overhanging plywood one bit.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piece of ply is way to go. As sumps are acrylic I also use hobby store foam board so sump weight is evenly displaced. 6-7" of overhang is quite a bit. I would take a look at what sumps fit under your stand properly.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand the problem, I don't believe 6 or 7 inches would be a problem.

Just to be clear, what I'm saying is to cut a piece of 3/4 plywood to the dimensions of this new sump....maybe with a little extra so that the entire sump easily fits on this piece of plywood. Put that down over these three steel support braces, centered. Just to make your mind feel comfy cozy, clamp this piece of ply on a table with the 6 or 7 inches overhanging the table and put your weight on the overhang. I'm 250 lbs and I can't deflect that short length of overhanging plywood one bit.
Thanks. I wasn’t comprehending what you were saying yesterday. 10 hours sitting on bleachers at a taekwondo tournament for my son, had my Brain mush. Makes sense now. Thank you!

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a little bit of a smaller sump closer to the size I have now but with the features I wanted. Still going to use some plywood.

Question about plumbing, I had a separate post but no response.

I have a 3/4 inlet and 1 inch inlet. And a 3/4 return. Sump comes with 1 inch bulk heads. I can probably change 2 to be 3/4 inch hopefully and use the 3/4 as my main drain and the 1 inch as my emergency. In the event that the bulk heads don’t fit properly, may need to expand the 3/4 on the drain and reduce the return to 3/4.

For the drain expanding even if I just do it right at the sump. Is the expansion going to make this much louder?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back