Sump and DT algae bloom

lostsailor22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess to start out, I’m a commercial fisherman, so I’m away from home for extended periods of time throughout the year. My wife has been taking care of the tank while I’m gone. Needless to say, she’s not as nearly interested in the hobby as I am, but she keeps the tanks fed and checks the water and will do water changes while I’m gone.
I came home yesterday after a month away, to a huge algae bloom in the sump and beginning to bloom out pretty good in the dt.
Tank is a 90 gallon. Running about 105 gallons through the system. My wife has no idea when it really started. She said there was a power outage at one point and she noticed it starting to grow a few days later.. little did she know, the power outage tripped the light timer and the lights were being left on ALL DAY/NIGHT for like 2 weeks at this point.. :/ the tank is fallow right now due to an ich outbreak back in July but getting close to me putting the fish back in. I want to get this algae under control first. I haven’t even checked parameters yet, just fixed the light timer and turned it on to blue only for now. Changed the filter sock and added a fresh phosphate pad. Seeing what everyone might suggest be the best route to take

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
testing parameters is number one. Do that and get back to us. manual removal is a good idea too. What is the substrate you have on top of the sand?

OP
OP
L

lostsailor22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
testing parameters is number one. Do that and get back to us. manual removal is a good idea too. What is the substrate you have on top of the sand?
I’ll post the parameters today
Need to go find a phosphate test.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back