Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i started building my 10g nano tank (First Reef!!!) and have some questions about refugiums and a good light for a DIY HOB filter fuge.

I sorta get how a fuge works but am not entirely sure, can someone pls explain it in detail?

What would a good light for a HOB filter fuge (pic below)?

IMG_0371.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpg

Thanks already

Nutramar Foods

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yk what? I actually found really really good success with hardware greenhouse lights. If you go to say home depot for 30$ you can get a plant light thats mainly red leds and whites. I've had amazing success with that as a fuge

A fuge is macroalgae. When that algae grows it takes up nutrients such as nitrate where you'll manually remove it to also remove nitrate. It'll also be really good for your microfauna and copepod population to grow without getting hunted in the display

FSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5000-6500k screw bulb in a clamp light.

To be honest though, since the tank is only 10 gal, I'd either skip the hang on or just put the macro in the display. Maybe not chaeto but something interesting to look at: gracilaria, halimeda, caulerpa. I'm 90% sure your non-aquarist guests would note the "pretty red stuff" before any coral :)

Anything a macro fuge is supposed to do for a larger tank can/should be handled with water changes on a tank your size.

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5000-6500k screw bulb in a clamp light.

To be honest though, since the tank is only 10 gal, I'd either skip the hang on or just put the macro in the display. Maybe not chaeto but something interesting to look at: gracilaria, halimeda, caulerpa. I'm 90% sure your non-aquarist guests would note the "pretty red stuff" before any coral :)

Anything a macro fuge is supposed to do for a larger tank can/should be handled with water changes on a tank your size.
fair enough, i want to get experience with a small fuge before moving to a larger DT/fuge/sump

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back