Stuck on 40 gal biotope ideas for bahamas/florida/carribean region

Toast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I recently acquired a 40 gal breeder to replace the 30 cube next to my desk, currently housing very small recovering from previous tank crash corals: mostly zoas, a bali green slimer, a toadstool, two blastos and some mushrooms. Fish wise I have a sailfin blenny and a pygmy angel, also temporarily a mexican turbo snail to help with my bryopsis issue.
Since I already have some fish from the region, I'm thinking of doing a biotope for the carribean/bahamas and bit of florida coast area but I am stuck on what fish and corals are actually indigineous to that radius? Also inverts?
I've already visited Florent's guide to tropical reefs and billygoats florida biotope

Ive found some sites with some info but most choices there seem really dull or way too big for a 40 breeder.

I'm looking to do a mix of mostly corals but also maybe some gorgs or sponges/tunicates to add a natural feeling to the tank but not completely dull colors either. Macroalgae as well since I have a successful macro tank elsewhere. No nems.

So far I've been thinking:
A trio of chalk bass
I would like some sort of peaceful wrasse
I like tobies too but can't find one good for this size tank from this region
Pygmy angel (already in my tank)
Sailfin blenny (already in my tank)
Maybe some sharknose gobies (I had one but it's gone missing in the past week)
Mermaids fan macro
Pinecone alga macro
Flat top bristle brush macro
Green grape alga macro

Any info would be awesome i'm really looking forward to eventually setting up this tank I just want to get it right

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help you much with the fish.

To maximize your biodiversity, I recommend some diver collected live sand and uncured diver collected live rock:
Note: They are out of commission for 30 days due to hurricane cleanup.

My go to vendor for ornamental seaweed & ornamental sponges.

Note: these guys are up & running with a limited inventory.

Best guide on macro identification & care.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts here are typical of Caribbean bio type with exception of Sea Apple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 19

BetteMidler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to get a Tang from the region, but you may want to chance on a group of Greenblotch Parrotfish (Sparisoma atomarium). They stay small, probably the smallest species of parrotfish you can get. Sourcing them is the challenge, but I got my hands on one over a year ago. Probably the easiest fish I've ever kept. He started sorta green, but has matured to this orange color.

Not sure how they are with corals. But there was an article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine about them in their 4th Quarter 2019 issue.
1000003065.jpg

OP
OP
Toast

Toast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not going to get a Tang from the region, but you may want to chance on a group of Greenblotch Parrotfish (Sparisoma atomarium). They stay small, probably the smallest species of parrotfish you can get. Sourcing them is the challenge, but I got my hands on one over a year ago. Probably the easiest fish I've ever kept. He started sorta green, but has matured to this orange color.

Not sure how they are with corals. But there was an article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine about them in their 4th Quarter 2019 issue.
1000003065.jpg

Oh wow thanks for the link and video! Never heard of these guys before but they're cute, how many do you think i could keep in a 40? Maybe a trio?
I looked them up and dont see them for sale anywhere but i will definitely hunt for these on the internet thanks !

OP
OP
Toast

Toast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts here are typical of Caribbean bio type with exception of Sea Apple.
I love the sea apple its cute, wish it was native to carribean oh well. What is the yellow anenome looking thing in the middle? Is the one in the far right corner a sea whip?
The yellow and red sponge on the sand are cool too

OP
OP
Toast

Toast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help you much with the fish.

To maximize your biodiversity, I recommend some diver collected live sand and uncured diver collected live rock:
Note: They are out of commission for 30 days due to hurricane cleanup.

My go to vendor for ornamental seaweed & ornamental sponges.

Note: these guys are up & running with a limited inventory.

Best guide on macro identification & care.

Too late on the sand.. husband bought me fiji pink and aragonite today , which i hope aren't literally from fiji ...
I will definitely check these guys out when the storm subsides, Ive heard another one is coming so I imagine they will be busy for a while

BetteMidler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow thanks for the link and video! Never heard of these guys before but they're cute, how many do you think i could keep in a 40? Maybe a trio?
I looked them up and dont see them for sale anywhere but i will definitely hunt for these on the internet thanks !
Not sure, I just have the one in a 40 with no other fish or Corals. I think a trio would be fine, if you can find them. No one seems to collecting them. They are skittish at first, but mine is so used to me, he'll poke his head out of the water & let me pet him . I can't imagine finding & actually catching one easily in the wild.

Make sure there is a lid, mine managed to carpet surf on one occasion. I was lucky to hear it & got him back in there.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the sea apple its cute, wish it was native to carribean oh well. What is the yellow anenome looking thing in the middle? Is the one in the far right corner a sea whip?
The yellow and red sponge on the sand are cool too
Front left of center at bottom is Elephat Ear Sponge and right of center is a deep water NPS Gorgonion.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I recently acquired a 40 gal breeder to replace the 30 cube next to my desk, currently housing very small recovering from previous tank crash corals: mostly zoas, a bali green slimer, a toadstool, two blastos and some mushrooms. Fish wise I have a sailfin blenny and a pygmy angel, also temporarily a mexican turbo snail to help with my bryopsis issue.
Since I already have some fish from the region, I'm thinking of doing a biotope for the carribean/bahamas and bit of florida coast area but I am stuck on what fish and corals are actually indigineous to that radius? Also inverts?
I've already visited Florent's guide to tropical reefs and billygoats florida biotope

Ive found some sites with some info but most choices there seem really dull or way too big for a 40 breeder.

I'm looking to do a mix of mostly corals but also maybe some gorgs or sponges/tunicates to add a natural feeling to the tank but not completely dull colors either. Macroalgae as well since I have a successful macro tank elsewhere. No nems.

So far I've been thinking:
A trio of chalk bass
I would like some sort of peaceful wrasse
I like tobies too but can't find one good for this size tank from this region
Pygmy angel (already in my tank)
Sailfin blenny (already in my tank)
Maybe some sharknose gobies (I had one but it's gone missing in the past week)
Mermaids fan macro
Pinecone alga macro
Flat top bristle brush macro
Green grape alga macro

Any info would be awesome i'm really looking forward to eventually setting up this tank I just want to get it right
If you are interested in ornamental seaweed, consider removing the TANG.

Bortacladia is collected between 30’-130’ of water. When I get it from the divers it is a dark burgundy. Given more light it turns fire engine red. Under intense light, it is yellow/orange.

Note: If Bortacladia is shocked with intense light, it often loses its flotation balls and goes sexual.

Also, if you are doing macro algae (seaweed) be prepared to add large amounts of nutrients. I use ammonia and liquid kelp concentrate. Read Russ Kronwetter’s guide

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back