Struggling with lighting decision

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transferred from a 36*24*24 to a 48*28*28 tank a few months ago. I am currently only lighting half of the tank with the AP700 I used on the old tank while figuring out new lighting. I plan for mostly sps in the new tank. I've been considering either 2 quanta atlas, 5 quanta helix, or reefi unos (2?). I also kicked around the idea of 6 t5s (ati).

I'd say the helix are currently at the top of my list. I like the idea of bars, but but there is very little data out there on them because they are new. I'm not sure if the 28" depth will be a problem. I also don't love how many wires there will be and needing to find a place for 5 power packs.

The new tank is euro braced, so it seems my mounting options for the atlas and unos are limited. The tank is in my 2 story main living area, so I won't hang them. I am working on a canopy design, but it will be awhile before that is built.

I guess I'm trying to decide if I should either prioritize getting the canopy built so I can use lights that I'm more confident will be enough or go with the bars and hope they are sufficient and hope a can make the wiring look clean. Thoughts?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the most popular anymore, but if you already considered T5s, any chance you would consider metal halide lighting? IMO LEDs just don’t provide the same sunlit shimmer effect you get with halides and you also don’t get the washed out blue look that requires a filter to photograph. I really love my halide T5 combination. Much more realistic looking reef IMO. Here is mine (no filter ;)):

IMG_5533.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I REALLY liked my old Tek T5 fixture. I can see the benefit of LEDs, certainly, and that's where I'm gonna end up going (just purchased my first of two Photons). But I'm starting with my Tek. I have never tried Halides as I just decided to go with what was considered new tech at the time 15 years ago. It worked like a charm.

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely not opposed, but I don't know anything about MH. Where would I find fixtures/bulbs?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren’t a whole lot of options as most of the industry has switched to LED, but there is a good used market for them on ebay. Bulbs are still readily available. I like the aqua bright solutions bulbs personally. You will never get more PAR per dollar spent with LED. That was the primary driver for me when I was first getting started in the hobby 10 years ago. I was a fresh college grad with no money and I knew I eventually wanted SPS. For less than $300 I was able to piece together a halide-T5 setup that produces almost 800 PAR at the surface. It would cost several thousand to get that kind of output from an LED setup. Fast forward to today, I have fallen in love with the unique lighting halides produce and even though I could probably afford to splurge on a nice LED setup now, I am attached to my halides. I don’t think I’ll ever switch LOL.

This is the fixture I have now. Apparently they still sell it on the Indian version of Amazon - AliExpress. I switched out the ballasts with used IceCap ballasts to overdrive the bulbs though.
48" Metal Halide HQI+ T5

IMG_5595.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is euro braced, so it seems my mounting options for the atlas and unos are limited. The tank is in my 2 story main living area, so I won't hang them. I am working on a canopy design, but it will be awhile before that is built.
I have seen a couple of really nice diy tank builds with 8020 aluminum t slot. You should give it a search it might work well if you cant find another solution for mounting

I would go with 2 reefi uno and 2x aliexpress light bars to fill in any extra space (each bar is less than $100 just gotta search aliexpress for the best current deals). Not sure the atlas is made for normal hobbyist tanks and more for larger aquariums

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you plan on growing? If SPS or anything light loving corals I would say 2x Reefi UNO’s/ or Quanta Atlas and 2 Helix bars for fill against shadowing. That’s what I’m doing.
AA604AE5-BDFD-4038-B2C7-65EEF14DC224.jpeg

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the feedback. I wouldn't make a decision based solely on any manufacturer's input just because they have their own interests. However, I have been in touch with Luca with some other general questions and he is very responsive and doesn't seem to be actively pushing anything.

@jonelder68 - I like your mount. Did you make or buy it?

I am going to do a bit more research on MH. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about their performance. I'm not familiar enough with them to bank on it long-term, but it would be interesting to try if I can find something used/cheap. Seems like I may need that savings for the electric bill lol

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the feedback. I wouldn't make a decision based solely on any manufacturer's input just because they have their own interests. However, I have been in touch with Luca with some other general questions and he is very responsive and doesn't seem to be actively pushing anything.

@jonelder68 - I like your mount. Did you make or buy it?

I am going to do a bit more research on MH. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about their performance. I'm not familiar enough with them to bank on it long-term, but it would be interesting to try if I can find something used/cheap. Seems like I may need that savings for the electric bill lol
Yes I made my mount set up. MH are awesome only cons are heat and power usage. As long as you can find bulbs and ballast you can’t go wrong. Also no dimming so have to size it right to have proper par range.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why they don’t get a ton of love but for my next build, a 3x3 cube I’ll be looking at orphek…. Or T5 supplemented with orphek OR3 bars which I already have

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 48” x 28” x 28” tank, you’ll need 2 halide fixtures. I would run some LED bars with them. The LEDs will add a little blue and make the corals pop. Plus, the fill light will be beneficial on a tank as deep and wide as yours.

Reefbrite fixtures don’t run as hot as older fixtures and modern bulbs are also less hot. I use small fans in my canopy to keep the temperature at 79-80.

I’ve pulled my halides down multiple times, but have always gone back to them. Acropora get deeper natural colors and just thrive under halides.

IMG_1603.jpeg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the reefis, control and likable. You can just mount pipe to the back the stand and hang from that.

Bending conduit in the store then painting is cheap quick fix or I even hung lights from garden hooks once.

That being said, I would get 3 of them for a 48”

I considered the helix but too many power cords and then have to run dimmers on them all? They seemed better for supplementing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard anything bad about quanta. Depending on the shimmer you'd like, you can always combine castles with LED bars too

OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to go with a MH Reefbrite setup (assuming new), I would need:
2 pendants @ $300/ea = $600
2 ballasts @ $220/ea = $440
2 bulbs @ $100/ea = $200
2? LED strips @$100/ea = $200
Total = $1,440

If I have a correct understanding what would be needed, the cost of going with new fixtures would make that a tough pill to swallow. Based on very limited searching for old/used fixtures, seems like I could do it with older fixtures for less than $500 (attached photo is something I saw on FB for $50 nearby). Do the benefits of the modern fixtures justify the added cost or does it make sense to chance a used/older fixture? I know that's probably an impossible question to answer, but curious to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• 312567034_5055490814552320_6419640468275474905_n.jpg
    312567034_5055490814552320_6419640468275474905_n.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
D

danmr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old tank did not have a center brace and the new one does (3/8 clear glass about 4" wide). This is probably a stupid question, but would that interfere with a 3rd light mounted in the middle?

Sorry - I'm all over the place with this decision still

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 5 strip Helix setup would be MORE than enough. I'd run 3x Meso Blue and 2x Reef Crest Daylight personally. There is a decent mounting option for them if you get the kit, and they'd be pretty easy to incorporate into a hood at a later point.

I should add... I have not run the Helix (yet), but based on my experience with other, similar bars, 5 will be MORE than enough.

Last edited:

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to go with a MH Reefbrite setup (assuming new), I would need:
2 pendants @ $300/ea = $600
2 ballasts @ $220/ea = $440
2 bulbs @ $100/ea = $200
2? LED strips @$100/ea = $200
Total = $1,440

If I have a correct understanding what would be needed, the cost of going with new fixtures would make that a tough pill to swallow. Based on very limited searching for old/used fixtures, seems like I could do it with older fixtures for less than $500 (attached photo is something I saw on FB for $50 nearby). Do the benefits of the modern fixtures justify the added cost or does it make sense to chance a used/older fixture? I know that's probably an impossible question to answer, but curious to hear your thoughts.
Old fixtures are fine. The only advantage to a reef brite fixture is it will be cooler to the touch.

The reflectors are what distribute the light, so you’ll want something with a larger one.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back