Stocklist for 26 gallon nano tank

BarryBenthic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Currently have an Ocellaris Clownfish as well as a Blue Tuxedo Urchin along with 12 snails (Margarita and Nassarius). Coral-wise I have two Zoanthid frags with some plans on adding the future.

Given this is a small tank and I am new to the hobby I would love to get some feedback on the following remaining stocklist:
-1 Red Banded Pistol Shrimp
-1 Hi Fin Goby
-1 (2 or 3?) Barnacle Blennies (one of the most mesmerizing coolest guys to watch, I love them all!)
-1 Regular Firefish (or maybe two if possible?)
-1 some sort of crab perhaps an Emerald Crab
-1 Skunk Cleaner shrimp is what brought me into the hobby but I feel like I am already pushing it with this list)

Thanks for taking a look and would love your thoughts!

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, a blenny and some kind of sand sifting goby (watchmens are cool) would be good. If you add all those you will be way over stocked and have territory issues between fish

OP
OP
BarryBenthic

BarryBenthic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it at one blenny (the tank is too small for multiple and might have issue) and that would be a good list, probably gives you room for one more peaceful fish
Noted on the Blennies! Would it matter if there were many hiding spots for them or regardless it is a bad idea to have multiple same species in close quarters like that.

OP
OP
BarryBenthic

BarryBenthic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, a blenny and some kind of sand sifting goby (watchmens are cool) would be good. If you add all those you will be way over stocked and have territory issues between fish
That was my fear. I only have one clownfish and I loved the idea of a sand sifting goby but my LFS warned me its sort of not big enough long term.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted on the Blennies! Would it matter if there were many hiding spots for them or regardless it is a bad idea to have multiple same species in close quarters like that.
Its a small tank...... if you wanted to try 2 it has a better chance to work out, but 3 seems risky to me.

I've got a tailspot and a flametail in a 40 breeder, they yawn at each other angrily all day but its never escalated beyond that, they've been together almost 2 years now.

OP
OP
BarryBenthic

BarryBenthic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a small tank...... if you wanted to try 2 it has a better chance to work out, but 3 seems risky to me.

I've got a tailspot and a flametail in a 40 breeder, they yawn at each other angrily all day but its never escalated beyond that, they've been together almost 2 years now.
I just love how they dart about and watch everything with their silly eyes. I’d love two but I’ll probably stick with one to be safe once I get a better understanding of what my total list will be.

Usarmy227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank here is my stock list

2 clowns
1 diamond watchmen goby (he’s an a** but really cool lol)
My LFS said they would to a trade for my watchmen when he outgrows the tank. Maybe check to see if yours will do the same.

If you do get a watchmen I would not set any coral on the sandbed. Also make sure you feed them enough or they will eat your snails.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 kinds of Barnacle blennies. The eyebrow barnacles (which I have never kept so cannot comment on them) and the pandemic barnacles. I have kept the panamic barnacle blennies and 2 in a 26 gallon with lots of hiding places would work. They spend their whole lives in a hide hole peeking out and only dart out for food.

Personally, I think if you feed well your stocking list is fine. ( Just make sure that your tank can balance the food and bioload input with export of nutrients so you dont get into a nuisance algae issue. You might best accomplish that by adding the stocking list in increments starting with the shyest animals first). The barnacle blennies will find hidey holes in the rockwork and the yasha goby will sit on the sand. One firefish will swim in the top third of the tank so each individual should be able to have a territory without infringing on the other fish. Shrimp and crabs do not put nearly the bioload on a tank that fish do and they will just motor around without bothering fish or each other.

I would be cautious to get only the smallest variety of pistol shrimp as I had one go rogue and eat some of my small fish. He's in my sump now.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my fear. I only have one clownfish and I loved the idea of a sand sifting goby but my LFS warned me its sort of not big enough long term.
Watchmens are small, and stay in their burrows. Yellow watchmen are bight and add to the tank!

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I anecdotally think the barnacle blennies would be fine. I kept four in a 75g, much more space I know but all the blennies lived in holes only a couple inches apart, never saw a hint of real aggression.

OP
OP
BarryBenthic

BarryBenthic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I anecdotally think the barnacle blennies would be fine. I kept four in a 75g, much more space I know but all the blennies lived in holes only a couple inches apart, never saw a hint of real aggression.
I went out of my way to secure some old barnacle clusters to add even more hiding spots around the tank for them. Still probably going with only 1 for now but will see what happens in the future. Appreciate the anecdote!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back