+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi :)
Currently looking into getting the above tank (will be my first) and wanted to pre-plan what I could have in my tank.
Ideally, I want all levels of the tank to be used equally, and for as many fish as possible to be utilitarian so it works like a nice little ecosystem so do let me know if there are any other good ones!
Here’s what I’ve got:
X2 bangaii cardinalfish (if my tank is overcrowded, I would be willing to let these guys go)
X2 ocellaris clownfish (I hear they’re good to get first)
X1 helfrinchi firefish (as they’re peaceful fish, should I be adding first?)
X1 pistol shrimp/yellow watchman goby pair
X1 lawnmower blenny (to keep algae under control)
X1 melanurus wrasse (I hear they’re good for flatworm/pest control!)
X1 tomini tang (to add last - ideally won’t compete with the lawnmower if I’m feeding enough?)
I would also like emerald crabs and cleaner shrimp in the mix too.

Does this look like a suitable selection for my tank? Let me know! :)

BRS

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me, only concern would be the lawnmower blenny which needs plenty of algae to graze (i.e mature tank) or will starve to death. Also, FYI the cleaner shrimp is beautiful but a very aggressive eater that'll steal food from fish/coral which gets annoying. BTW, I love my Tomini, has lots of personality and very easy going fish.
GL

OP
OP
L

limejuice82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me, only concern would be the lawnmower blenny which needs plenty of algae to graze (i.e mature tank) or will starve to death. Also, FYI the cleaner shrimp is beautiful but a very aggressive eater that'll steal food from fish/coral which gets annoying. BTW, I love my Tomini, has lots of personality and very easy going fish.
GL
Thank you so much for this! I was looking at the tailspot blenny as an alternative to the lawnmower. So nice to hear about the tomini too! :)

Nutramar Foods

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently looking into getting the above tank (will be my first) and wanted to pre-plan what I could have in my tank.
Ideally, I want all levels of the tank to be used equally, and for as many fish as possible to be utilitarian so it works like a nice little ecosystem so do let me know if there are any other good ones!
Here’s what I’ve got:
X2 bangaii cardinalfish (if my tank is overcrowded, I would be willing to let these guys go)
X1 tomini tang (to add last - ideally won’t compete with the lawnmower if I’m feeding enough?)

Basically half of my tank inhabitants and I'm running a 125. What are your nutrient export plans?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s what I’ve got:

Also,the cleaner shrimp and emerald crabs might or might not be ok with the Melanurus Wrasse. Mine don't last long...

adittam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also,the cleaner shrimp and emerald crabs might or might not be ok with the Melanurus Wrasse. Mine don't last long...
Was just going to say this. My melanurus ate my cleaner shrimp about 5 minutes after I added it to the tank...it was a VERY expensive snack for him! He also ate 90% of my turbo snails.

If you want a safer alternative, the Red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) is much more invert-friendly.

OP
OP
L

limejuice82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that tail spot blennies and dwarf angels can nip some corals. Some don't, some do. I have both blennies and dwarf angels, because I choose my corals based on the fish I keep, not the other way around.
I probably won’t go for any dwarf angels, nice as they are don’t want to risk my corals! I didn’t realised tail spot blennies nipped at them too!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
L

limejuice82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just going to say this. My melanurus ate my cleaner shrimp about 5 minutes after I added it to the tank...it was a VERY expensive snack for him! He also ate 90% of my turbo snails.

If you want a safer alternative, the Red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) is much more invert-friendly.
Oh dear…that’s a shame! I have come across a few horror stories like this now. Was the melanurus already an established member of the aquarium when you added the shrimp?
And thanks for the alternative :) I also heard yellow coris wrasse are a bit better too? I would like to have a fish which will eat pests in the tank, with minimal risk to clean up crew.

OP
OP
L

limejuice82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically half of my tank inhabitants and I'm running a 125. What are your nutrient export plans?
Is that 125 gallons? And if I’m understanding you correctly the filtration element consists of a rear sump with carbon, two filter sponges, a protein skimmer, surface skimmer and a rack for any other media I wish to add. It’s an all in one system which I think is the way to go for me at the moment.
I definitely don’t want to overdo my stocking, I want all the residents to be comfortable and have their own space/niche in the tank so there’s no disputes or competition.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is that 125 gallons? And if I’m understanding you correctly the filtration element consists of a rear sump with carbon, two filter sponges, a protein skimmer, surface skimmer and a rack for any other media I wish to add. It’s an all in one system which I think is the way to go for me at the moment.
I definitely don’t want to overdo my stocking, I want all the residents to be comfortable and have their own space/niche in the tank so there’s no disputes or competition.
Yes, sorry, 125 gallons. Yes, nutrient export in your case would be the skimmer. Corals and macro algaes are also a nutrient export. I'm not sure if carbon counts as nutrient export, but I know it can trap some debris and remove some contaminants. Sponges and filter socks can be a form of export since you're removing debris before it breaks down and creates more nitrates/phosphates potentially.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back