Stocking an 8’ 240

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was able to upgrade to my dream forever tank! A glasscages 8’x2’x’2’ 240 gallon. I will be slowly setting it up and will then move the livestock from my 65 gallon 4’ tank to the new big boy tank. So looking at fish stocking for the 240.
Current stock
Clown pair
Cherub angel
Adorned wrasse
Carpenters wrasse
One spot foxface
Long nose butterfly
Scopas tang

Future stock ideas
Naso tang
Blue tang
Desjardinni sailfin tang
Convict tang
-majestic angel
-regal angel

I know the potential danger of the angels. But man are they beautiful. And still debating on these.

Would like some feedback to see what my fish list looks like. As well as any suggestions for additions or if I should change the list around.
IMG_1481.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was able to upgrade to my dream forever tank! A glasscages 8’x2’x’2’ 240 gallon. I will be slowly setting it up and will then move the livestock from my 65 gallon 4’ tank to the new big boy tank. So looking at fish stocking for the 240.
Current stock
Clown pair
Cherub angel
Adorned wrasse
Carpenters wrasse
One spot foxface
Long nose butterfly
Scopas tang

Future stock ideas
Naso tang
Blue tang
Desjardinni sailfin tang
Convict tang
-majestic angel
-regal angel

I know the potential danger of the angels. But man are they beautiful. And still debating on these.

Would like some feedback to see what my fish list looks like. As well as any suggestions for additions or if I should change the list around.
IMG_1481.jpeg
2 things;
1. Where’s the huge wrasse gang?
2. Why a tang gang and not a gang of Foxfaces/rabbitfish?

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things;
1. Where’s the huge wrasse gang?
2. Why a tang gang and not a gang of Foxfaces/rabbitfish?
That’s valid on the wrasse or foxface gang haha. I guess it’s because I have never kept any of the big tangs and my kids love them. But that being said I’m not opposed to other options.

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy those two angels I recommend getting a captive bred. Less chance of them eating your corals although I bought a captive bred goldflake and he likes to pick on some of my corals. Things that are stringy, fleshy like softies will probably get picked on. Also what's the build quality like from glass cages, are they eurobraced, is the sump decent design and quality. How much does a glass cages tank like that cost compared to red sea or water box.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. All different tang genus. I would just look at more utility fish like wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s valid on the wrasse or foxface gang haha. I guess it’s because I have never kept any of the big tangs and my kids love them. But that being said I’m not opposed to other options.
Here’s the 3 Rabbits I have in my 5’ 180G tank.
97725BFE-30CF-4B92-A974-C23995C65B8E.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1459.jpeg

Seriously, I have no tangs in this tank as Foxfaces/Rabbitfish will always do a better job than they do. They also get to nice sizes - nothing like the tangs do, these tend to max out around 6-10 inches in most cases. Plus these guys go full camo at night and have so much more personality than tangs!

And all my fish I currently have (plus the Laboute’s which I plan for).
IMG_1434.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. That is a beauty. I'm going GC too. Just trying to figure out the dimensions at this point. Thinking about a 48x30x25. You've got a great swimming lane there, so don't be shy about tangs!
Also what's the build quality like from glass cages, are they eurobraced, is the sump decent design and quality. How much does a glass cages tank like that cost compared to red sea or water box.
I can speak to this somewhat. I've yet to purchase from them, but I've heard nothing but good things as to quality. There are Eurobracing options (something like six options give or take). Also, vertical seam guards. In addition, you can opt for Low Fe Glass. I spoke with Joe at GC last weekend and asked about sumps.. He told me that they can make them as well, but that option is really for sumps thst need to be a custom job. Personally, I am going to build my own. While I'm VERY concerned about the quality of the DT (which is why I'm going through them), I'm not so concerned with the sump. I'll have the stand built (and DT plumbed) so that I can remove the sump out the side door in case of a leak. They are more expensive, but as to all things in life, you get what you pay for. Check out their site and do a mock build. It's pretty cool!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably nix the sailfin. They get huge as do the naso and blue but are much more aggressive IME I've had my naso 7+ years, my blue hippo 5+ years and my convict 3 years. They bother no one even with 4 yellow tangs, a large purple and a small vlamingii in the tank. I lost my sailfin to velvet several years back and chose not to replace it. I've had very good luck adding tangs all at once as juviniles. It can be a bit more challenging adding adults. My gang minus the convict who is off grazing on the rocks.
Screenshot_20240624-115701.png

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy those two angels I recommend getting a captive bred. Less chance of them eating your corals although I bought a captive bred goldflake and he likes to pick on some of my corals. Things that are stringy, fleshy like softies will probably get picked on. Also what's the build quality like from glass cages, are they eurobraced, is the sump decent design and quality. How much does a glass cages tank like that cost compared to red sea or water box.
Tank is used. Only two years old and I bought it from the original purchaser. Eurobracing is thick and super substantial. Personally there is no comparison between glass cages and Red Sea and waterbox.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I stuck with my idea of additional stock. Would there be any other suggested additions to go with what I’m looking at or with the larger fish would I be pretty much stocked?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I stuck with my idea of additional stock. Would there be any other suggested additions to go with what I’m looking at or with the larger fish would I be pretty much stocked?
If I’m honest, knowing the maximum size of the larger fish you want, you’d likely be stocked for swim room.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what coral you have in mind, the regal + majestic will usually leave stinging lps (euphyllia), noxious softies (like leathers), and sps alone. Anything like acans or zoas are basically guaranteed food even when well fed.
One other note to make is that I don't suggest both a naso and a sailfin together in a 240g reef. There simply won't be enough room most of the time when the tanks filled in and both are "full grown". If this was planned as a fowlr where you can cut back on the rock and won't have to worry about corals eventually taking up real estate then it would work out just fine.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about nixing the sailfin. Found a guy with a beautiful Acro tank wanting to get rid of a PBT, powder brown and a blue that have been with him for a few years. Only reason he is getting rid of them is due to their size. I have heard the stories of PBT’s. Any insight on those three in a large tank?

Luisn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I basically have the same tank you do but in acrylic. I have a powder blue and love my guy but at the same hate him. Total bully and nips at my corals, yes, he nips at my corals, have no idea why. Leathers, GSP, and my elegance until I found the “spot” he wants at it. But there is nothing like seeing tangs and angels swim 8ft across. Hopefully you have a fish or multiple fish to keep the PBT in check or enough fish so I won’t harass other tangs. I have been slowly adding fish and it bullies every new addition for a day or two.

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pbt doesn’t like new additions hence why my blonde naso is in my sump until it gets bigger so it can not get beaten to death, it nearly did the 1st 2 days.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I basically have the same tank you do but in acrylic. I have a powder blue and love my guy but at the same hate him. Total bully and nips at my corals, yes, he nips at my corals, have no idea why. Leathers, GSP, and my elegance until I found the “spot” he wants at it. But there is nothing like seeing tangs and angels swim 8ft across. Hopefully you have a fish or multiple fish to keep the PBT in check or enough fish so I won’t harass other tangs. I have been slowly adding fish and it bullies every new addition for a day or two.
What other fish do you have in your system?

Luisn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in your system?
A majestic angel
2 flame angels
Convict tang
Scopas tang
Chocolate tang
Mimic black tang
Fox face
2 bar rabbit fish
Swallowtail angel
Lamarck angel
Gamma
Purple tang
Pair of clowns
Naso tang
And the PBT

Even with all this it looks like more fish are needed but only the PBT is an adult size. Looking at some schooling fish like rollands damsels to give it that “reef look”. Been also thinking of adding a blue face angel. But do QT your fish, I caught velvet a month into getting my tank and it sucked to have the tank fallow for 85 days and deal with that headache. At that time I had half of the fish but lost only 1 fish. I still QT everything wet: fish, coral, invert per humblefish protocol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back