Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 Springer Damsels about 3 weeks ago, they are currently sharing a 75 gallon tank with 2 clown fish. At the end of last week, I noticed the bigger Springer was missing some scales above his eye that were there the day before. It does not seem to be getting better, in fact, it seems to be getting a little larger/longer. I originally thought he had gotten into a fight and it would heal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this is and if it needs to be treated?

20230215_100900.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought 2 Springer Damsels about 3 weeks ago, they are currently sharing a 75 gallon tank with 2 clown fish. At the end of last week, I noticed the bigger Springer was missing some scales above his eye that were there the day before. It does not seem to be getting better, in fact, it seems to be getting a little larger/longer. I originally thought he had gotten into a fight and it would heal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this is and if it needs to be treated?

View attachment 3024269
looks like bite marks and i'd be willing to bet the larger clown is the culprit. You can either isolate the damsel for several days or set your phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just involving one eye? If so, I would agree it is an injury. Any other symptoms? If not, that's probably it. Missing scales can take a long time to heal (a month or more), even if they don't become infected.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back