Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just bought a spotted eel to go with my snowflake eel. I read that they’re pretty docile so I got one and my clown swam through a tunnel and got bit I was able to free the clown and the eel retreated. Not my clown has a huge bite in her side and I’m wondering if she will be ok!!!! How do I treat an injury like this one? I feed the eel immediately after and I’m praying it doesn’t happen again. How can I stop this from happening why would he try to take on such a big fish? He was in a tank with other fish why did he decide to go after my clown!!!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to isolate the clown in as isolation basket so that the eel doesn't get a second chance at it.

Can you post a picture of the clown, I might be able to judge the severity of the wound.

Do you know the scientific name of your spotted eel? There are a few species with spots and some are aggressive. If you also post a picture of the eel, I can tell from that.

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going out on a limb and guess that it's a Gymnothorax moringa, which is commonly available and called a spotted eel. While a small less aggressive fang tooth eel, still a fang tooth eel, and if this is the eel; then yes your clowns and any other smaller fish will be on the menu.

Top Shelf Aquatics

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0A30E8BF-9F64-49F3-80EB-8361170CC2CD.pngIs this what you have ? If so lion king is absolutely correct that eel’s primary food is fish. You’re setting yourself up for failure. He should be in a more suitable set up with larger more aggressive fish.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get a pic sadly of either because one it’s impossible to get a good clear pic of a clown that injured!!! And I can’t get a pic of the eel because it’s hiding. https://dwazoo.com/animal/spotted-m...The main diet of,to locate prey and predators. Is the website that has the eel i have everyone said it be fine in my tank!!! The clown in swimming and eating, on closer inspection it’s just teeth marks not an actual chunk missing luckily!!

AquaCave Logo Banner

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion king can probably elaborate better than me but any eel from the family gymnothorax have fanged or sharp teeth which they use generally to catch and eat fish. The size of the fish depends on the eel. For instance a tessalata eel which is the same family as the spotted eel you have gets much larger and from what I’ve heard isn’t really safe with any fish even larger aggressive fish. Your eel stays small most likely 2 feet or less however it’s in its dna to hunt fish so as it grows your clownfish are most likely going to be on the menu!

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2985219
I absolutely hate it when people tell you that it will work when it really won’t!!!!! And there are no returns so I guess I’ll be selling him soon lol
Well I can put the clowns in another tank but I still have a valintine puffer and a snowflake eel and a coral beauty. Who do I need to worry about? Or would I be better selling him?

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can put the clowns in another tank but I still have a valintine puffer and a snowflake eel and a coral beauty. Who do I need to worry about? Or would I be better selling him?
I'd worry about the angel. Its body shape should prevent eating but if the eel is biting then it could still be injured. The other fish should be fine.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do business with a LFS that would advise it’s ok to put that eel with your clownfish and more importantly told you that you couldn’t take it back after purchase! That’s just bs!
I know right!!!!!!!! That’s just bs and I definitely won’t be going back!!!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd worry about the angel. Its body shape should prevent eating but if the eel is biting then it could still be injured. The other fish should be fine.
Well and that’s just it the angel keeps rubbing against the eel and the eel doesn’t care!!!!

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well and that’s just it the angel keeps rubbing against the eel and the eel doesn’t care!!!!
Is it presenting its side to the eel? If so it is trying to look bigger than it is as not to be a target of predation.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it presenting its side to the eel? If so it is trying to look bigger than it is as not to be a target of predation.
Ya it’s rubbing it’s side against the eels head but the angel keeps going to the eel every time the angel sees it.

AS

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it’s rubbing it’s side against the eels head but the angel keeps going to the eel every time the angel sees it.
Yep it saying "I'm big and scary don't mess with me". Butterflies and angels evolved that body shape to be both difficult to eat and to look bigger than they are. I'd say its a good sign its being so bold and not being bit but your situation is not sustainable. Good chance this will happen again and that eel will get big pretty fast.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back