Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old were the fish that died? Chromis typically don't live past 5 if I recall correctly.

Sorry to throw another wrench in the proverbial mix, but idk. Could be Old age. Clowns can live easily past 10 years. Don't know about tangs and eels.
the chromie was there from the beginning so 7-8 years I have had him. The tang probably 6 years

I agree could have been old age. But one clown was in the same condition laying on its side not moving. He just made it threw the night and is ok this morning

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chromie was there from the beginning so 7-8 years I have had him. The tang probably 6 years

I agree could have been old age. But one clown was in the same condition laying on its side not moving. He just made it threw the night and is ok this morning

Yeah. That's what's really weird to me. If it was disease, you would have seen signs and I doubt the clown would have recovered without treatment. I'm doubtful of voltage if you don't feel anything. But without a way of testing I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Idk. Let's get someone more experienced in here [USERGROUP=61]@ReefSquad[/USERGROUP]

Nutramar Foods

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old were the fish that died? Chromis typically don't live past 5 if I recall correctly.

Sorry to throw another wrench in the proverbial mix, but idk. Could be Old age. Clowns can live easily past 10 years. Don't know about tangs and eels.
clowns can live up to 15 years, chromis live up to 5 and depending on the tang they can live from 5 to 30 years

OP
OP
brad1970

brad1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That's what's really weird to me. If it was disease, you would have seen signs and I doubt the clown would have recovered without treatment. I'm doubtful of voltage if you don't feel anything. But without a way of testing I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Idk. Let's get someone more experienced in here [USERGROUP=61]@ReefSquad[/USERGROUP]
I definitely appreciate yours and everyone else’s input. Thank you

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
brad1970

brad1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. Sry for loss. I’d just keep the stock current and monitor the system. Send an icp for grins and see what pops if anything.
That’s what we’re planning on doing. Not adding any new tank mates till I can explain what happened here

thank you

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m not completely sure where to post this so I will put it here

Im not new to the hobby I have had my tank running for 7-8 years. Went threw all the same problems most people have. But lastnight something happened that completely lacks all explanation

I don’t have all the numbers with me because I’m not at home while posting this so but I assure you all my parameters were spot on

I have A 35 gallon tank. Nothing special for a set up for livestock it contained..
1 yellow tang
1 blue chromie
2 clown fish
1 snowflake moray eel
Couple rbta
Snails

Again this set up has run for a long long time yes we have lost a couple fish over the years and never really replaced any of them. Just kept what we had

last night we were watching tv I looked over at the tank the tang the chromie and one clown were laying on their sides at the bottom of the tank. We quickly checked all parameters made sure heater wasn’t shocking tank. Tested salinity nothing was off I quickly did a bit of a water change. But within an hour the chromie and tang died. The clown retreated to its clay pot and just layed on its side at the bottom. My other clown and my eel weren’t effected at all nothing changed in their behaviour

this morning I woke up expecting to find the clown dead but quiet the opposite they are both swimming around playing in their rbta my eel is doing his eel thing. It’s like nothing happened.

I apologize for the long post. I’m just really confused on what happened
You have to think about what you have done different. I am losing my leathers, and mushrooms the easiest coral to keep. I think I found the problem today. I have a hang on the back breeder tank. 10 long 4 deep, and 8 high. I was growing cheato, and it was full. I moved at least 3/4 of it to my other tanks sump. This morning I cleaned it. It was filthy. I also added phosphate removing pads to aa canister filter. I shut it down a week ago and saw no difference, This is not the first time something I did backfired. Luckily I have had the luxury of time. One time I remember is when I spilled the crap in my skimmer in the tank. It is a hang on the back as My tank is the same size as yours. It killed 4 t0 5 fish immediately. My clown survived . Also changing food can be fatal as well

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
brad1970

brad1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to think about what you have done different. I am losing my leathers, and mushrooms the easiest coral to keep. I think I found the problem today. I have a hang on the back breeder tank. 10 long 4 deep, and 8 high. I was growing cheato, and it was full. I moved at least 3/4 of it to my other tanks sump. This morning I cleaned it. It was filthy. I also added phosphate removing pads to aa canister filter. I shut it down a week ago and saw no difference, This is not the first time something I did backfired. Luckily I have had the luxury of time. One time I remember is when I spilled the crap in my skimmer in the tank. It is a hang on the back as My tank is the same size as yours. It killed 4 t0 5 fish immediately. My clown survived . Also changing food can be fatal as well
We have definitely been looking at everything we have done in the last week just to see if we did anything that could have made a change. So far the only change was it’s normal 15g water change 3 days ago

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful, but test your RO for chlorine?
Hypothetically, say your had chlorine in your RO and made up a batch of salt, did your water change, the chlorine could have had an effect on your less hardy fish. Then when you noticed it you did a water change with the left over water but by that time the chlorine evaporated out...
Just spitballing here...
Also you can use a multimeter to check voltage. one probe grounded and the other in your tank water. check for low voltage ac/dc

OP
OP
brad1970

brad1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful, but test your RO for chlorine?
Hypothetically, say your had chlorine in your RO and made up a batch of salt, did your water change, the chlorine could have had an effect on your less hardy fish. Then when you noticed it you did a water change with the left over water but by that time the chlorine evaporated out...
Just spitballing here...
Also you can use a multimeter to check voltage. one probe grounded and the other in your tank water. check for low voltage ac/dc
I did a voltage test. No stray voltage at all.
I will test for chlorine in my RO.

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the last wet item added to this tank from a pet store, plus how long ago was the addition/ months/weeks

Wet= a snail or macro, or a coral frag

You got disease vectored in, it's not a parameter or chem is the firm bet

OP
OP
brad1970

brad1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the last wet item added to this tank from a pet store, plus how long ago was the addition/ months/weeks

Wet= a snail or macro, or a coral frag

You got disease vectored in, it's not a parameter or chem is the firm bet

Last things added to the tank 2 zombi snails 2 turbo snails. They were added atleast 6 weeks ago

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where the direction now heads. That’s the right delay time as well. People have trained us to blame physicality params and voltage, those are 1% causes but there’s a new and more likely cause / 99% likely in these cases / for fish only losses while rest of tank remains fine.

consider this:

your tank needs fallowed honestly. Re input qt prepped fish for the win

no more lfs additions skip fallow prep for the long term win. It wasn’t like this years ago, it’s like this now. = the state of marine fish disease loss rates in 2023 and for the near future

a param didn’t cause this

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
brad1970

brad1970

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where the direction now heads. That’s the right delay time as well. People have trained us to blame physicality params and voltage, those are 1% causes but there’s a new and more likely cause / 99% likely in these cases / for fish only losses while rest of tank remains fine.

consider this:

your tank needs fallowed honestly. Re input qt prepped fish for the win

no more lfs additions skip fallow prep for the long term win. It wasn’t like this years ago, it’s like this now. = the state of marine fish disease loss rates in 2023 and for the near future

a param didn’t cause this
I wouldn’t disagree with you on this aside from assuming I just bring it home and dump it in my DT. But I have been at this long enough 7-8 yrs to know nothing goes into my display until it’s lived for 45-60 in a qt tank

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run this thread through the disease forum

start one there, try and convince them it isn’t disease and let them know no qt occurs in lfs purchases its a valid second opinion to get

a direct article is linked for the loss, I know it stinks but it’s the case. Nothing else has a direct article cause linked so far, with a predictable vector timeline and is fish specific with all testable params confirmed excluded. It’s disease and more losses are likely

not being bleak this the how it goes down with pet store trading only recently, in 2006 it wasn’t this way.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back