Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a spider conch but can’t find a bunch of info on them, my tank is 4ft long and I know they can get quite big so I’m not sure if it would fit, I could also get it and rehome it if it gets too big. My tank has a pretty dirty sandbed and I want something to clean it up, I’m nervous it might knock over a rock. Thanks in advance!

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a spider conch but can’t find a bunch of info on them, my tank is 4ft long and I know they can get quite big so I’m not sure if it would fit, I could also get it and rehome it if it gets too big. My tank has a pretty dirty sandbed and I want something to clean it up, I’m nervous it might knock over a rock. Thanks in advance!
Doing a quick look, it seems the recommended tank size is 55-60 gallons, so I would guess you'd be fine (but I've never personally kept one, so I can't say for sure). If it eats all the algae, you should be able to keep feeding it with nori, algae pellets, etc. - but if it gets too big you would need to rehome it as you mentioned.

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had mine in a 30 gallon doing well, they don't grow super fast and most strombus snails stay smaller in captivity, he was previously in my 54 gallon with 2 other conchs and there was still enough food for everyone, i say go for it.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a quick look, it seems the recommended tank size is 55-60 gallons, so I would guess you'd be fine (but I've never personally kept one, so I can't say for sure). If it eats all the algae, you should be able to keep feeding it with nori, algae pellets, etc. - but if it gets too big you would need to rehome it as you mentioned.
I’m hoping it eats all the algae, my sand bed is disgusting, all sorts of algae on it. I got 2 fighting conch but they haven’t done much plus I haven’t seen them in quite some time so not sure if their still alive. I used to see them every few days

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had mine in a 30 gallon doing well, they don't grow super fast and most strombus snails stay smaller in captivity, he was previously in my 54 gallon with 2 other conchs and there was still enough food for everyone, i say go for it.
Did it ever bump or move and rocks? That’s my biggest fear

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it ever bump or move and rocks? That’s my biggest fear
never moved any of the main rocks, but it did move frags in the sand (any conch can do that) and it would occasionally bump into my clams which they didn't appreciate too much, no real harm to anything though.

Edit: if you're looking for a conch that will do more in terms of cleaning i recommend a tiger conch, they are much harder workers than my spider conch is.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back