How often do you guys clean your sandbed?

Koty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never cleaned the sand since I got a sand-sifting Gobby. He does it every second he is awake, including moving sand from place to place, and best of all, he piles up the fallen pieces of mussel.
Also, I got 4 wrasses (Melanorus, YelowtailT, canary, and leopard) that sleep inside and occasionally dig in during the day chasing who knows what

BRS
OP
OP
EnemyAnenome

EnemyAnenome

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never cleaned the sand since I got a sand-sifting Gobby. He does it every second he is awake, including moving sand from place to place, and best of all, he piles up the fallen pieces of mussel.
Also, I got 4 wrasses (Melanorus, YelowtailT, canary, and leopard) that sleep inside and occasionally dig in during the day chasing who knows what
Thanks for the info, I'll look into the sand sifting goby :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Koty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT is 120 x 50 cm and is about 2.4 years old with a refuge. My Gobby has been in my tank for about a year and he grew from 2.5 cm to full size. He sprays and covers the corals/zoas with sand as he constantly redecorates. But IMO its not a problem as some folks in the forum claim.

jenniferreichardt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this is a genius idea but I dose a few ml of M7 daily in my 3rd tank. It’s 125 gallons. Full of fish and fed heavy. The sand is so pretty and white. No siphoning ever. Very small cuc. Thinking about starting it in my 180 to see.

7thpagano

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful 280 reef tank and I don’t clean the sand and I don’t do water changes. I change all filters once a week and check my parameters . I used a sump with micro algae.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpeg
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 26
Top Shelf Aquatics

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a course substrate rather than sand, and I vacuum it thoroughly every time I do a water change. Every other time or so, I use a power head with a six inch hose to blow out under my rockscape. Even between water changes, I sometimes vacuum the gravel into a filter sock in my sump.

I have 75 or so crabs, 25 or so asterea snails, 25 or so nasarus snails, 4-6 huge Mexican turbo nails, two conchs, 200+ mini cerith snails, 5-6 bumble bee snails. This crew by no means keeps my 240 gallon sandbed clean.

Even with my frequent manual cleaning, my sandbed is full of life. Check this vid of the swarms of misid shrimp and pods from last night. Every crevice looks like this after lights out.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back