Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its no secret that biodiversity is beneficial in our tanks and introducing little critters and different microfauna better helps establish the reef tank ecosystem more harmoniously. It’s all about checks and balances and the principles apply in various aspects of reef keeping.

We all know about the different types/brands of bottled bacteria so I won’t get into that personally but feel free if you’d like.

In my opinion, the benefits of a diverse microfauna and beneficial (some not so beneficial!) hitchhiker critters can be gained by the use of high quality true live rock, but not everyone is able to or wants to go that route.

So in that spirit, I wanted to focus primarily on microfauna/various little critters, and their sources. Primarily to seed that diversity in our tanks that may be too “sterile” in that manner. I wanted to create a list of sources I have personally purchased from and wanted to open it up to you guys so you can add sources also. I do realize this is anecdotal and I cannot prove any added benefit from the addition of any of these.

But I’m curious if there are hidden gems out there source/vendor wise! So keep the list growing!

Sources:

IndoPacific Sea Farms: Live sand activator, Wonder Mud, various worms, stars, CUC’s

Walt Smith Fiji Mud

GARF: Grunge Original, Bag of Bugs

ReefBrite: Reef Bugs

Algae Barn: Various Pods

Reed Mariculture: Various pods

Sachs Aquaculture: Various Pods, Shrimps

Steve Tyree: Cryptic Seed Starter (have not ordered yet but plan on it)

Gulf Coast Ecosystems: Macros, Sponges, Gorgonions

Reef Cleaners: Macros, Various CUC

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally jo at garf is great. I would definitely buy both grunge and bag o bugs if looking for diversity.

pacific east aquaculture is great for cuc and easy starter corals. Have ordered snails, cucumbers, and corals from them. Have nice cuc packs as well. Everything arrives well and except their clams and sps are selected for just about any tank to thrive in. All their fish are also Aquacultured. Rachel is top notch at customer service.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good list and with a few new to me. I would second the recommendations for Garf and Reef Cleaners.

It would be great to update your list with web links if you have the time...
Added the links, hope that helps!

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally jo at garf is great. I would definitely buy both grunge and bag o bugs if looking for diversity.

pacific east aquaculture is great for cuc and easy starter corals. Have ordered snails, cucumbers, and corals from them. Have nice cuc packs as well. Everything arrives well and except their clams and sps are selected for just about any tank to thrive in. All their fish are also Aquacultured. Rachel is top notch at customer service.
I agree, Sally Jo is an absolute sweetheart. I’m glad she kept the operation up after her husbands death.

Nutramar Foods

stanleo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool. To those people local to Charlotte, NC, C-Macs in Charlotte has these traps in there tanks that they will empty in a bag for you for 5 bucks. That's how I got my mysis shrimp for the fuge.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bought from this company, but noticed them on another post.

Floridapets.com : live sand, mud, pods, brittle stars, snails, macros, etc.
Thanks for this. I didnt know about this company but what a great deal; just ordered live sand & mud to boost microbial diversity in my main DT, and some random inverts. They offer free shipping at a really low threshold, like $30 or something. Great find!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I didnt know about this company but what a great deal; just ordered live sand & mud to boost microbial diversity in my main DT, and some random inverts. They offer free shipping at a really low threshold, like $30 or something. Great find!
That’s awesome! I haven’t ordered or heard about them before.
If you have a chance, update on how you like it when you receive our order. Curious about their mud and what possible inverts and such it contains.

doodledreads

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool. To those people local to Charlotte, NC, C-Macs in Charlotte has these traps in there tanks that they will empty in a bag for you for 5 bucks. That's how I got my mysis shrimp for the fuge.

Oh I should stop by today - they are on my commute :p

And yes, LFS is a great source for critters, I ask for some rubble when I visit my lfs from their refugiums. That's how I got my stomatella snails, limpets, bristle worms, fan worms etc.

eschaton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good list. I'm not sure, even though it's a good vendor, reefcleaners belongs on it though. The vast majority of their livestock are standard species which cannot breed in captivity, like hermits, nerites, turbos, nassarius, peppermint shrimp, etc.

Of course, they do sell macros and pods - along with a couple types of snail that do breed in our tanks (trochus and ceriths) but in general I don't think the "standard CUC package" is a good way to promote a biodiverse tank - and may actually be a hindrance.

Svet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread! Here's some more places I don't see mentioned and I am yet to try:

KP Aquatics - nano stars, dwarf snails, sponges, other hard to find inverts

Salty Bottom Reef Co - live ocean floor per lb, live rubble per lb, stars, dwarf snails

GulfLiveRock - live sand

Loved the IPSF package I got a month ago (sand+mud+pods+worms+mini stars). Can't recommend Gerald enough.

Just ordered from FloridaPets as well so thanks for the source. I got two types of live sand, some mud and micro stars to boost sand diversity. Can't wait to see the treat

ectoaesthetics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I love garf. My OG purchases with them go back to the late 90s. And I don’t think the website has changed much -nor the type of reefing. A word of caution when buying from anyone pulling from the ocean or GARF. You will end up with pests.

But at least with GARF the pests are knowns. They will have flatworms -two kinds- and possibly aptasia. But you can quarantine for those and diligently work on eliminating them before transferring to a forever tank. GARF comes from the days of reefing where we encouraged biodiversity and added predators to the tank to keep them at bay. Today there is a stronger focus on prevention.
I am really curious to hear more peoples experiences with IPSF as their stuff is coming from sand filters which could also present its own issues. Please chime in if you have experience with adding it to an existing tank!!

ectoaesthetics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good list. I'm not sure, even though it's a good vendor, reefcleaners belongs on it though. The vast majority of their livestock are standard species which cannot breed in captivity, like hermits, nerites, turbos, nassarius, peppermint shrimp, etc.

Of course, they do sell macros and pods - along with a couple types of snail that do breed in our tanks (trochus and ceriths) but in general I don't think the "standard CUC package" is a good way to promote a biodiverse tank - and may actually be a hindrance.
For what it is worth I have found more species of snails that will breed in captivity on the reef cleaners site than anywhere else. Mostly for the reason that they have more options than anyone else. They have several types of trochus, lightning doves, and even some scavenger snails that will breed in tank.

Also they carry zig zags which don’t breed but are a pest in Florida. It’s kinda like taking lion fish from Florida -you can do so with reckless abandonment without feeling guilty. They are tiny but will only cost ya 20 cents. Also they tiny enough that I’ve never seen pests on them but they definitely come with bacteria on their shells.

World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back